GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:56:43 -0600
Hello, everyone, I'm not sure what others will think of this idea, but I
thought I'd put it out there and see what happens.  Maybe it would be a good
idea to take the "No Problem in The Gambia" article and others like it,
point by point, and counter the erroneous claims made in these negative
articles.  I'm not sure what good it will do, but I think when claims about
a particular culture or people are made which are untrue, it is a good idea
to try to debunk them, if not for the writers of the articles, at least for
other people who may not really know the truth.  And also, for the
self-respect of the people who may be falsely portrayed in such articles.
     I can completely empathize with the anger of some of the members of
this list.  Having a disability, I come across on a daily basis the
stereotypes and misconceptions of the nondisabled community.  And it makes
me sad and angry to see false stereotypes and misconceptions spread around
by people upon other people.  However, I don't think retaliation and anger
are the right ways to go.  I thinkthe that the best thing to do would be to
refute the untrue things that have been said and leave it at that.  That is
all that anyone can do.
Ginny