GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 08:43:50 PST
Hamjatta,

Easy, man. You have already concluded: "Isn't this just another bad example
of your comrades-in-arms subtly changing the journalist ethics of "getting
it right" to "getting it first?" Translation: the Independent's story does
not have facts, and therefore false. Well, it is prudent to wait for the
outcome of the trial before making sweeping statements.

You make comparism of newsworthiness between Jammeh's 'third wife' and the
peace conference involving the MFDC and the senegalese government in Banjul.
Your hullabaloo conditions you to think that the Independent should have
given more prominence to the Cassamance peace talks. This reminds me of
former foreign affairs minister Omar Sey, when he went bonkers over Daily
Observer's front page story in which Sheriff Dibba alleged that the PPP
government had overspent tax payers' money withing a short period, by over 1
billion dalasis. It happened that the story took place on the eve of a major
international business conference. By Omar Sey's reckoning, the conference
ought to have been given front page prominence not Dibba's revealations.
Well, Omar sey is no journalist; he probably didn't know what was news or
what wasn't.

Editors determine what package of information to send out to their readers.
I wasn't in The Gambia at the time of the Independent's publication of their
article under scrutiny. But my reading of the situation is that Jammeh's
'third' wife was more newsy, contiguous to the national identity than a
peace conference that held no optimism. In fact, soon after the signing of
the peace conference, heavy fighting resumed in Cassamance. To be sure, the
peace talks were important, but how many times have the combattants been to
The Gambia, working on peace formulas only to renege on them later. Can you
imagine the boredom afflicting the minds of Gambians and Senegalese on the
Cassamance situation? Moreover, the story is about a next door neighbour,
but it is foreign consumption to Gambian readers. It's always good for
newspapers to give more coverage to local than foreign news. Too much
foreign news in a local paper will consign that paper to obscurity, because
the local population will look elsewhere for news that hits close to home,
directly affecting their lives.

In fact you've already qualified the Cassamance peace talks as boring. Said
you: "Isn't the Independent just trying to sell more papers by devoting its
front paper to a gossipy trivial issue like Jammeh's 'third wife' which the
Gambian populace would prefer over TEDIUM(emphasis mine) gatherings
aforementioned?" In any case, TEDIUM means the state of being bored;
boredom. You have already qualified the peace conferences as being in a
state of boredom. So where's the news? In the peace talks or Jammeh marrying
a 'third' wife?

I understand your argument. It is unhealthy for credible newspapers to
descend into Stygian depths of Yellow Journalism. But I didn't see any of
that in the Independent's article. Reference to Bamba Laye's comments. I
need not go further than that. I am in a hurry for North Carolina.

Thanks for your comments. Bye "Mawbeh" (laugh).

Cherno Baba Jallow
Detroit, MI