GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:56:44 GMT
All,

Here is a small story regarding the four Independent Newspaper journalists
currently being harrassed at the DIRECT orders of His Excellency, Rtd. Lt.
Col, Dr., Alhagi, Yaya Jemus Junkung Jammeh. What the Observer piece does
not state is that, the three journalists located so far, were picked up by
TEN police officers of the SERIOUS CRIMES UNIT, and hauled off to a police
station. What "serious crime" have they committed? They've revealled a
marriage that is public knowledge among a large segment of the Gambian
population. According to first-hand accounts, the unit investigating their
"serious crime" is at a loss as to how to proceed with the case. For that
reason, the CO has to travel to Kanilai to ask the Boss what to do every
step of the way. Libel, by the way, is not an arrestable offence. So, why
the heavy handedness?

The Gambian press generally has been at the receiving end of the repression
that characterizes the APRC regime. The Independent, in particular, has been
the subject of constant harrassment. From the petty -constantly switching
off their energy/water supply, to the outrageous - stripping them naked, and
throwing them into mosquito-infested cells for not having the "proper" legal
papers, the govt. has been sticking it to them. And the reason is clear: the
Independent team rebelled against the manipulative tactics that the govt.
employed towards the Observer newspaper, for which all the Independent
reporters worked. In my judgment, they're the most independent, and upfront
newspaper in the Gambia today. They make no apologies when it comes to
telling it like it is. And they hit all sides with equal force. So the govt.
is doing all it can to put them out of business.

Because of it's age, and the ridiculous legal bottlenecks that the govt.
throws at them all the time, the Independent is not yet on sound financial
footing from what I've gathered. For that reason, they need all the help
they can get to fend off this frifolous law suit. These very gallant
fighters: Babagalleh Jallow, Yorro Jallow, Mr. Daffeh, Mr. J. Wally, and the
country's best reporter (my opinion) Demba Jawo, deserve our help.[Jawo was
the gentlemant whose blunt representation of Gambian reality irked the
president so much that he bought out the Observer through a proxy. Is it any
wonder then that Mr. Jawo was the first to be shamelessly fired? Out of
integrity, the rest of the Independent team followed Jawo.] So, for those of
us who are always making noise about "sacrifice" back home, this is one
group that exemplifies that sacrifice. They deserve our support!

I intend to send the group some money to help with their legal defence by
Saturday (1/1/2000.) Those willing and able to donate ANY amount at this
time, can send me a private note, so we can set something up. Or you can
send the money to the Independent directly through Tel: 494262. Anything in
the next few weeks will be highly appreciated. Let's not fail these brothers
in their stand against tyranny.

Saul.

Here is the article from the Observer:

Managing editor Alagie Yorro Jallow, editor-in-chief Baba Galleh
Jallow and reporters NB Daffeh and Jalali Wally of the Independent
newspaper, were yesterday morning, charged with "libel against the
president" under the criminal code of the Laws of The Gambia.

The three (Jalali Wally was at large) were released on bail in the sum of
10,000 dalasis
each with Gambian sureties.

Speaking to our reporter following their release,  Yorro Jallow explained
that they have
been asked to report to the police daily until they are taken before a
court.  He said they
will put up a strong defence to the charge.

The president, Yahya Jammeh, was yet to file his statement to the police.
It is not yet
clear how much damages the president is going to claim from the Independent
newspaper for the report regarding  his marital affairs.

Meanwhile, the Gambia Press Union, after an emergency meeting yesterday,
expressed
its disappointment at the trend of relations between the press and the
government.  The
union said  the Independent  newspaper, in  this case, was simply carrying
out its
legitimate duty of reporting on the activities of public figures.

"The case is not unique as this was exactly the situation with Jammeh's
second wife.
There were rumours, then denials only to be confirmed later. This is one
reason why the
union in particular and the press in general are calling for transparency
and unfettered
access to information.  To punish the press for providing information which
is of
legitimate public interest, such as the activities of the president of the
republic, is unfair,
unjust and totally unjustifiable," the GPU message concluded..