GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:43:54 EDT
Ebrima,

Your sources are right, innocent Gambians will suffer but I think that with
the Liberian gang under sanctions and banned from travelling, Yaya Jammeh and
his gang are next.
I was totally amazed when I was talking to a business associate of mine in
the netherlands the other day. He asked where i was from and joked that he
had always wanted to ask. When I said Gambia, his response was, "oh yes, i
know about Gambia, it is the place that all the Europeans go to buy rebel
diamonds." He said that a good acquaintance of his, a Belgian man, goes to
Gambia every two weeks or so, to meet with sellers of diamonds and do a
transaction. He says the guy told him that the Gambians do not care when he
told him that this was illegal.He also said there were a number of others,
Swedes and other Europeans who do this on a regular basis.This Belgian lives
in the Netherlands, and i tried to get his name from my associate but he
would not give it. I shall continue to try to get a name.
We may not have to wait for Jammeh to rig the elections in order for him and
his cronies to be banned. Apparently, even the Angolan rebel diamonds pass
through Gambia, and i understand from another source today, that the Indians
are purchasing the better part of these rebel diamonds as well. They have set
up offices in Antwerp and buy all of these blood diamonds and send them to
India for jewelry manufacture.

Jabou Joh

<< NOW TAYLOR HAS VOWED TO ENSURE