GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2007 19:22:42 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  129/2007, 2 – 4 November 2007

Editorial
Some are Leaving and  Others are Dying
What Next for the Conscience of the Nation?
Citizen FM  has been silent for many years. Every day comes with hope that
the state will  accept its transmitters to amplify the voices of the people. As
long as there  was life and will there remained the hope that there will be a
way to solve the  problem of the Radio station. Now Baboucar Gaye, The
Proprietor of Radio One FM  is speaking to the Nation with the voice of silence. Who
owns the Gambia? What  does any person have to stop a fellow human being from
practising his profession  without fear or favour affection or ill will? How
many families have been  deprived their basic necessities of life? How many
minds have been starved of  information? Citizen FM was a novelty in every
respect. It sought to bring  information that the literate in the English language
reads from newspapers  written in English right to the door steps of the people
who could not read and  write. Information gives birth to knowledge which
gives birth to citizenship  power.
Every true leader of a liberated people must want them to be  empowered.
Baboucar Gaye would have been appreciated and encouraged by any  progressive
government.  There is no doubt that both Citizen FM and Radio 1  FM had tried to be
people centred in their broadcast. If they functioned under a  progressive
government they would have established television stations by now  and could
have even been major investors in our telecommunication  sectors.
Instead of encouragement the terrain becomes so rough and hostile  that even
family members tend to give advice for one to give up. How can our  people
become enlightened if those with information are afraid or are hindered  from
doing so?
Foroyaa can attest to one thing about Baboucar He was not a  puppet of any
political party. He wanted his media house to be an umpire media  establishment.
Ruling party members and opposition alike dreaded to appear  before him to
try to score political points. He had a way of questioning which  makes any
person without sound arguments very uncomfortable. Consequently, only  few
politicians were fond of appearing in his programmes.
Baboucar was always  careful not to be used by disgruntled people. He once
told one of the Editors of  this paper that in this country when you are in
difficulty few people care but  when you are in a position to be productive many
people appear to try to use you  for their own ends. Baboucar will be
remembered for owning his mind up to the  end of his life. Now that he is gone those
who control the decision making  powers of this land should bear in mind that
some citizens of this land who have  found life intolerable are either leaving
because of death or are going into  exile. Deyda is gone and Baboucar is gone.
Even though it is under different  circumstances none of them had left fond
memories of their treatment as  professional media practioners.
Foroyaa has also gathered that Nyabally, one  of the former GAMSU leaders
have also left in search of a sanctuary abroad. This  young man was very proud to
go to University in the Gambia. These are the people  who should have been
encouraged to be role models for having led students and  had gone through the
school system in the Gambia. However, many detentions  without trial and
incapacity to get productive engagement had made his homeland  alien to him. We hope
those with conscience will continue to call for sanity to  prevail in
managing the affairs of the country. The Gambia does not belong to  its political
leaders. It belongs to the PEOPLE. No leader is fit to govern the  country who
fails to recognise that one’s power emanates from the people and  should be
exercised to promote their liberty and  prosperity.

Veteran Journalist Laid to Rest
Veteran journalist,  Baboucar Gaye, was finally laid to rest at the Jeshwang
Cemetery on Wednesday  evening in the presence of the Imam of Banjul and other
religious leaders. The  burial was preceded by the funeral service at the
Independence Drive Mosque in  Banjul. A host of religious leaders were present,
including the Imam of Banjul,  Alhaji Cherno Kah, who spoke at the service. He
talked about the positive  attitude of Mr. Baboucar Gaye, and particularly,
the dignified character of his  parents. Another speaker talked of Mr. Gaye
being a man of truth who does not  speak behind one’s back, but would rather make
the truth known to the defaulter.  That speaker noted that Mr. Gaye is a
committed person who hates failure and  who, therefore, persists in his pursuits.
A doyen of media fraternity, Mr.  Swaebou Conateh spoke on behalf of the
media fraternity. In his speech, he  traced Mr. Gaye’s history to the time when
Mr. Gaye worked under him at Radio  Gambia. He talked about how Mr. Gaye pursued
courses in broadcasting in London  and Nigeria, and how he later became
broadcasting officer at Radio Gambia.
He narrated how he founded The Point, which he founded jointly with the late
Deyda Hydara and Pap Saine. He did not forget to mention how he established
Citizen FM which was closed twice without a court order. He told the gathering
 that Citizen FM was an alternative source of information which broadcast
information published by local newspapers, in the local languages.
The doyen  of the media fraternity stated that Baboucar was arrested. He
revealed that he  was present on the second occasion of the closure of the radio
station. He  narrated how the security forces came that night and closed the
radio station,  which never re-opened despite all pressure.
He regarded Baboucar Gaye as  committed to his profession.
Imam Muntagha Faye also spoke. He traced Mr.  Gaye’s history to his childhood
days, describing him as one of the most advanced  Koranic pupils in their ‘
madrassa’. He said that Mr. Gaye was committed to  Islam. He noted that he used
to broadcast a religious programme at Citizen FM.  He talked of his good
character and prayed for him.
The entire media  fraternity were at the funeral and burial ground and paid
homage to the bereaved  family. All of them wished that he rests in peace.

Legislators  Split Over Amendment of Local Government Act
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The  extra-ordinary meeting of the National Assembly on Wednesday, October
31, has  been marred by a polarized debate among members over the amendments of
the Local  Government Act.
These amendments in the law will disqualify the election of  local government
chairpersons, excluding mayors and mayoress, by universal adult  suffrage but
councillors would now select them from among themselves. The  amendments of
the Local Government Act followed an amendment of the 1997  constitution, which
paved the way.
Ismaila Sambou, the Secretary of State for  Local Government, Lands and
Religious Affairs said: “Due to the need for faster  decision making in council and
for a more rapid and more responsive  implementation of the decentralisation
process, the Department of State wishes  also to propose the amendment of the
relevant sections of the Local Government  Act 2002 to reflect the need for,
the President to have the power to remove the  Mayor/Chairman, Deputy
Mayor/Chairman or other members of council”.
Mr.  Sambou said these amendments seek to provide the dissolution of councils
ninety  days before Local Government Elections and the setting up of interim
management  teams by the president to oversee the affairs of councils until
the scheduled  elections.
Contributing to the debate on the amendment, Sidia Jatta, the  member for
Wuli West said changing the law is tantamount to assassinating the  sovereignty
of the people.
“Somebody elected into office can be removed by  one individual. What is the
essence?” Mr. Jatta asked.
He asked his fellow  legislators to come to terms with the reality of whether
they want to empower  the people or disempower them.
Jatta went on to say that the electorate  should be left to manage their own
affairs and in this case they should elect  their own council chairpersons
rather than somebody else electing and another  firing those chairpersons.
He likens the piecemeal amendment of the Act as an  approach towards
autocracy and dictatorship. The Wuli West representative  wondered why his colleagues
are always effecting unnecessary amendments as if  they do not know where they
are heading to.
“This is a conspiracy against The  Gambian people and I for one do not
subscribe to it,” he said.
The minority  leader and member for Kiang West, Momodou Sanneh also objected
to the amendment  of the Local Government Act. Mr. Sanneh said his objection
to the bill is not  that they are on the minority side but they need to look at
things with a  critical eye.
He said that being a law making body, the National Assembly  Members
regardless of political differences should study every law critically  before imposing
it on the people.
Babanding Daffeh, the member for Kiang  Central said, the electorate should
maintain both the right to elect and remove  council chairpersons. Mr. Daffeh
said giving the president those powers will  effect a concentration of too much
power on one person.
Pa Jallow of Jarra  Central also raised objection to the bill, saying that
there are many things the  Assembly should look into.
Mr. Jallow’s statement was abruptly halted by the  speaker who ordered that
he sticks to the topic before hand.
When he was  given chance to speak again, the parliamentarian said, “Madam
Speaker with these  few remarks personally I am not in support of this bill”.
However, the rest  of the deputies from the ruling APRC party gave their
support to the  amendment.
Adama Cham of Kombo North said democracy is a process that changes  as it
goes, thereby defining and refining.
Mr. Cham said democracy is not  being hijacked but the president should be
given the power to fire people who  have not delivered.
Netty Baldeh of Tumana said the amendment is due and  should be effected.
Sheriff Abba Sanyang and Mama Kandeh, members for Foni  Kansala and Jimara
respectively gave support to the amendment.
The Bill was  eventually passed by the National Assembly.
See next issue for  commentary.

Gambia-Senegal On Crucial Discussion
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Delegates from Senegal yesterday joined their Gambian counterparts at a
technical committee of experts meeting marking the beginning of the session of
the Senegalo-Gambian Joint Ministerial Commission at the Kairaba Beach  Hotel.
The Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Crispin Grey-Johnson, said  since
the two sides met in 2004 at the consultative meeting, not much has been
done by way of follow-up on courses of action that were agreed upon.
“Much  work has to be done in the areas of trade, transport, transit and
customs. There  are also several matters that need much smothering,” Mr.
Grey-Johnson  said.
He also said there are important trans-boundary questions which they  need to
work on collectively including questions pertaining to environmental
management, forestry wetlands and fisheries management.
“We must examine all  the pending issues in these areas with a view to
transforming them from the  disenabling factors in the relationship-which they
currently are,” he  said.
Mr. Grey-Johnson urged the technical experts to address issues with
frankness, courage and sincerity.

NIA Former Directors And A Prison  Warden Still Detained
Information reaching Foroyaa have it that two former  directors of the
National Intelligence Agency, namely Abdoulie Kujabi and Foday  Barry, and a prison
warden, AlfuSainey Jammeh are still detained at the maximum  security wing of
the Mile Two Central Prison.
Kujabi and Barry were arrested  shortly after the coup d’etat masterminded by
colonel Ndure Cham was quelled by  the Gambia Armed Forces. They were later
charged with conspiracy to commit  felony to wit treason, but the case did not
proceed. They have since then been  languishing at the maximum security wing
of the prison.
They were charged  along side Ngorr Secka, Baba Saho, Vincent Jaata and Kemo
Balajo. However these  people were later released by the authorities.
Alfusainey Jammeh, a native of  Foni, was arrested over a year ago. He is yet
to be tried. He is also  languishing at Mile Two Central Prison.

“IEC Faces Challenges In  Electioneering Process”-Commissioner Grey Johnson
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay
Mrs. Sarah Grey Johnson, a commission member of the Independent  Electoral
Commission (IEC) has said that they, as referees of the electioneering  process,
have faced challenges and that they will continue to confront those
challenges. Mrs. Johnson noted that one of the challenges is the waning interest  by
eligible voters to exercise their rights to vote at the dawn of the second
republic in 1996. She said in 1996 over 90 percent of registered voters had cast
their ballots but that ten years later, that number dwindled significantly to
 less than 70 percent. “In the same period we have seen fewer candidates of
different political parties take up their mantle in National Assembly
Elections,  causing the choice of votes to significantly narrow,” said Mrs. Johnson.
She  pointed out that it is challenges that undermine diversity in any nation,
which  they must address effectively as a broader body, comprising all
stakeholders in  society. Commissioner Grey Johnson pointed out that the tremendous
support they  received from the government of The Gambia and the donor
community, the UNDP,  Government of Taiwan, United Kingdom and the United States. She
added that their  well wishers have also come from civil society groups and
the media, but that  the most important of all, is the Gambian electorate who
have, at all times,  shown their resounding confidence in the IEC at each
election. She noted that  The Gambia has a reputation for mass participation in the
electoral process and  that remains the highest in the world because the
stakeholders have shown their  interest in the democratic process in the country.
Mrs. Grey Johnson said that  the workshop will require them to deliberate on
relevant matters affecting the  electoral process in the country, and to come
out with realistic, timely,  measurable, attainable and specific goals to guide
them as they aim to further  strengthen their mandate as an institution tasked
with conducting national  elections through their motto and guiding
principles of “fair play, integrity  and transparency”. Commissioner Grey Johnson said
their mandate is to ensure  that elections are held in a free and fair
manner, a fact that should not be  lost. The IEC Commissioner was speaking at a
two-day programme conducted by the  IEC at Jangjanbureh, Central River Region,
(CRR) on the theme, “Strengthening  the electoral process in The Gambia”.
Representatives from the British High  Commission, the UNDP, Civil Society,
Governors of both URR and CRR, Chiefs,  National Assembly Members, Ward
Councillors and Senior Police Officers from both  regions attended the programme.

MARRIAGE AND  FAMILY
Discrimination In The Family
Part 11
By Amie Sillah
At The  Boys’ Quarters
Mama stayed at the Boys’ Quarters very tense. She saw herself  as being
discriminated against. I am a high class lady, a permanent Secretary,  Ministry of
Education. Why are my daughter and my son in law treating me like  thrash? Che
said only his family members stay in the mansion! Am I not a part of  his
family – his mother in law? This is insulting! A whole me staying at the  Boys’
Quarters? I’ll not accept it! I’ll fight back!” She swore. Her heart was
heated. She awaited for the slightest provocation to spark.
Alex And  Mama
Alex is the chief house boy. He came to call mama to accompany him to  the
mansion to bath Che Junior. Alex is pleasant with all smiles. After  exchanged
greetings he said, “Mama, Madam asked me to call you to go and bath  Junior.”
Mama gave a sarcastic smile and looked at her watch. She showed it to  Alex. “
What is the time?” It was eleven a.m. “This time! I woke up since six  a.m.;
seven a. m I went to the mansion Madam’s door was closed. Now it is  already
late. I have dressed up but I can compromise a bit. Asked your madam to  bring
her son to the Boys’ quarters to get him bathe.” Alex sensed trouble.
Meekly, he went back to the mansion.
On His Way, On the Steps
Coming up  the steps, he met Che coming out. He enquired. “I thought you were
sent to call  mama to come and bathe my son?” “Yes! But Mama said it is
already late. She has  already dressed up. Instead, Madam should take Che Junior
to the Boys quarters  to be bathe.’ Che jumped in excitement. “What? My baby!
My son to be taken to  the Boys’ quarters to be bathe? What a cheek! Is she
mad? This woman has grown  wings. She has to be fixed.” Che rushed to the Boys’
quarters in full  rage.
Confrontation
Che met Mama at the verandah filing her nails. “My  in-law! What have you
told Alex?” “Nothing!” mama replied. “You told him to ask  my wife to bring my
son to the Boys’ Quarters? What a cheek! That is insolence.  I’ll not take it
from anyone, not even you. This is your last warning. You  better behave
yourself. I have taken it up to here.” Che touched his chin. “Be  warned!” As he
started to walk away, Bani came running “What is the problem?”  Che explained
to his wife.
Bani Scolds Mama
Bani confronted Mama. “Why  mama? Why? You are misbehaving. To stay here you
have to comply with the rules.  No flouting of orders. I don’t want your
trouble. You have already been warned.  I dread Che’s wrath. It can be explosive.
You wanted me to marry a rich guy. It  has happened. Why complain? Don’t bring
me trouble oh!” Mama protested. “Why are  you people troubling me? You
relegated me to the Boys’ Quarters. I came without  resistance. I woke up early,
came to the mansion and found you still asleep. I  came back and took care of
myself. You came late to ask me to bath Junior. I  asked Alex for Che to be
brought to me to be bathe and your silly, uncultured  husband protested. You asked
me to stay at the Boys’ Quarters, me your mother  but your son, my grand child
should not be brought to the Boys’ Quarters. I have  taken it up to here with
both of you. Enough is enough! I’ll take it no more. I  am an adult. You
cannot treat me as a child.” Mama protested. “Then behave like  an adult!” Bani
posited. “What if I refuse to bath Che?” “Then you leave our  premises. I don’
t want your trouble Mama. I don’t want your trouble! If you want  to leave,
leave in peace. Don’t try to offend anyone.” Bani warned. Mama sulked.  “You
want to treat me as your maid. I’ll not accept it. I’ll not accept it! I  came
because of my grandson! That’s why I am accepting all these insults from  you.
” Then mama went to bath Junior.
Eating In the Patio
Mama ate at the  classic sitting room. Bani came shaking. Mama was again
inviting trouble. Che  will flare up when he sees her. Bani begged Mama to go to
the Dinning “Mama!  This is undone. No one eats at any of our sitting rooms not
to talk of our  classic patio. It is an explosion if Che meets you here.”
Mama jumped with  excitement. She rebelled. “Che this! Che that! Who is Che? God?
When I came you  discriminated against me and took me to the Boys’ quarters.
You showed me where  to sleep but you cannot show me where to eat. I’ll eat
here and here  alone.”
The Show Down
An argument ensured. It became heated. Bani talked  back to her mum. “Zai did
the best. She ignored you and follows her heart. You  are wicked, mean and
impossible!” “What!” Mama gave Bani a nasty slap.
Che  came down just in time. He was shocked. “What? A nursing mother! My
wife! You  slap my wife in my home? You dared me after being warned? Leave my
premises  right now! And never come back again!” He called Alex to help Mama
packed her  things. Mama fought back. “Useless man without manners! Uncultured!
Untrained!  Rude and sulky! I am gone. I came from a home. I don’t blame you. I
blame my  daughter.” She pointed to Bani. “I have disowned you. Never come
back to me if  he finally dumps you!” “Mama! Go! Go with your troubles! I prefer
to die in hell  than come back to you!” Alex wanted to help her pack. She
pushed him away. She  packed her things and left in her car. She refused to send
the car away since  Che ordered her to do so.
At Her Office
Mama got the rude shock of her  life. It was like a dream. Unbelievable! “
This is untrue! Unbelievable! What is  happening to me?” She rang Zai but there
was no response. She thought they were  also avoiding her. She became
frustrated and disillusioned. “What is happening?  They too are avoiding me! Is it a
conspiracy?” she asked in dismay.
At Haja  B’s House
She went straight to Haja B’s house for comfort and reassurance.  Mama has
already taken voluntary retirement.
She has already left the  government house. She regretted not building her
house. “I have no where to call  my own. I was stupid and foolish. Government
house is not my house. While I went  partying and wasting money, I completely
neglected my building. I was banking on  my rich daughter. Look how she have
treated me, a whole me as a thrash!” She  sobbed. Haja gave her courage. “What
are friends for? I love you Oumu. We have  been friends since our school days.
My house is your house. You can stay as long  as you wish. Feel free and
comfortable. I am the only occupant of this huge  self-contain duplet.”
The Couples Came
Zai and Saul bought a double decked  duplet at the housing scheme they
relocated there. They wanted to take mama by  surprise. That’s why she cannot reach
they by phone. They came for her.
The  Surprise
Mama felt great relief when she saw her younger daughter and her  husband.
After all they have not abandon her. She thought they have also  abandoned her.
They greeted mama and her friend. They announced that they have  come for her.
“Mama! We have come for you.” “To go where?” She asked with a  surprise. “
To go to our home.” Your home?” “Yes! Our home!” She hesitated. “You  want me
back after everything I’ve done to you?” “Why not? Allah forgives us our
trespasses, who are we not to forgive others who trespass against us. You are
forgiven. You will always be our dear mum. We are very sorry for what have
happen. Please take it in good faith. Everything will be alright Ishallah!”
Madam Bintou winked her eyes in approval. “Okay! Let me go in to get my  luggage.”
 The couples thanked Madam Bintou for standing up for Mama. “Thank you  Aunty
for taking care of mama.” “Its my pleasure. Thank you also for taking care
of your parent. Allah will pay and reward you. No matter what, a parent is a
parent. That is African culture. As the saying goes, a parent is like a rock.
If  you fell at it you get crushed, if it hits you, you are equally crushed.
Allah  will bless you.’ Madam Bintou prayed for them.
The Greatest Surprise
Mama  thought she was going to the old home but instead the couples drove her
in a new  porsh car into a porsh area of the surburbs. The car halted at a
flashy newly  built double decked duplet. Mama is full of surprise waiting to be
enlightened.  Zai laughed and ushered Mama into their flashy newly built
duplet. “Mama is this  our house. We bought it.” “What about the Car?” Mama
asked. “We own the car as  well. Saul has been doubly promoted to the position of
General Manager of his  bank. He will be traveling shortly to the U.S for a
two years refresher course.  I’ll be traveling with him. A college position is
already secured for me. I want  to do my masters. You’ll be staying here while
we travel to the U.S. There is a  maid and a houseboy at your disposal. Feel
free mum. Saul have also made plans  to build you a house at your empty plot.”
Mama shed tears of joy and shame. She  hugged the couples and prayed for them.
“You have really kill me with shame. All  that glitters is not gold. I have
got my blessing where I least expected it.  Nothing is static. The rich
household has rejected me. The poor household have  transformed to the least I have
expected. May Allah bless you and forever fill  your wealth fountain. But as
for Bani and her husband may I never meet them even  in the heavens.” Comment:
Never discriminate between members of your family. The  morrow is prename with
surprises.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
1988; THE  YEAR WHEN THE SENEGAMBIA CONFEDERATION SHOWED SIGNS OF CRACKS
With Suwaibou  Touray
We have been focusing on politics in general and Gambian politics in
particular in this column. This is what motivates us to follow the narration of
political events from the pre- colonial to post –independence era.
In the  last issue we have started to reproduce Foroyaa’s interview with
president  Jawara during a Press Conference where his position on democracy in
relation to  the Local Government and chieftaincy elections was challenged.
Let us  continue from where we stopped.
Whilst Foroyaa was questioning president  Jawara on chieftaincy elections,
three districts were brazing themselves for an  election; i.e. Niamina East,
Jarra East and Kombo East. The fourth district,  Wuli East was also due for
election at the time but it was not included for  undisclosed reasons according to
the Nation.
The Nation also questioned how  democratic was the institution of chieftaincy
and why was it that only yard  owners were entitled to nominate and vote for
a chief?
The Nation recalled  FOROYAA’ interview with president Jawara and expressed
wonder as to what kind of  democracy that was when people could propose and an
individual disposes. The  Nation asserted that this type of democracy could
not be the so-called  Westminster style of democracy, which the PPP claimed to
have inherited from  Britain. The Nation opined that it is quite absurd that
whilst chiefs rule over  everyone in their districts, the yard owners only elect
them.
Yard owners in  the provinces, the nation wrote, are usually old men and that
means that the  women and the rest of the citizens are effectively
disenfranchised during  chieftaincy elections. The Nation opined jokingly and said it
could fittingly be  called one of two things, i.e. Sembocracy or Gentocracy but
certainly not  Democracy.
The Nation argued that the president removes chiefs only when they  fall foul
with the state but certainly not for anything else such as the  national
interest as claimed by the president. The Nation cited a chief who was  infirmed
for more than two years who would not neither be removed by the people  nor the
regime  as long as he was not doing anything that offended the  regime. The
Nation challenged the PPP regime to stipulate the criteria or  qualification to
be a chief. They argued that there was none; that the only and  the most
important qualification for one to be a chief and remain so was the
unquestionable loyalty to the PPP. Full stop. This is why the Nation posited  that there
was not a single chief in the whole Gambia who was allied to the  opposition. It
remarked that the absurdity of the selection criteria for chiefs  is, no
doubt, one of the reasons why chiefs were being screened and short-listed  as
candidates for elections, a power which did not rest with the people but with  the
minister of Local Government whose prerogative it was to choose who should
or should not be given a ballot box. The other verbal criteria laid down during
 nomination do not guarantee anyone the right to get a ballot box for the
elections.
In view of the partisan nature of the chieftaincy and the fact  that most of
them are illiterates who have no idea as to what the law is, it is  quite
ironical that the chiefs would sit as magistrates in their districts, the  Nation
argued.
By 31st January 1988, The Gambia and Senegal celebrated the  Senegambia
confederation in both Dakar and Banjul and which was graced by both  presidents.
Observers of the period expressed that the two leaders were not  actually
speaking the same language. They observed that whilst president Abdou  Diouf was
stressing on the oneness of the peoples of the confederation, Sir  Dawda appeared
to be at pains to stress on the independence and sovereignty of  the two
political entities.
According to the Nation, instead of referring to  the confederation like a
single political entity as Diouf did, the Gambian  president kept on referring
to it as the “Confederated states”.
According to  the Nation, whilst president Diouf saw the confederation as a
first step towards  the eventual union of the two countries, Jawara saw it
purely as a marriage of  convenience.
Sir Dawda in his address at the celebration mentioned, among  other things,
that the institutions of the confederation, which were created in  cognisance
with the national sovereignty and the democratic principles of our  two
countries continue to mature and function satisfactorily. He cited the  confederal
parliament and the council of ministers that continue to meet to  discuss
matters of significance. He also cited the General Secretariat and the  presidency,
which he said was the principal operating organ of the confederation  as well
as the various confederal ministries that were also performing their
functions satisfactorily, despite some manpower and financial resource  constraints.
President Jawara opined that these developments would not have  been possible
without dedication and devotion to duty of the officials of the  confederated
states at various levels of their confederal  institutions.
After the celebrations, many Gambians expressed opinions  in Newspapers. One
student commented that what has been proven by history was  that unity is not
and cannot be expressed so easily on paper; that it has to be  an expressed
will of the people concerned; that any forced, unequal accord,  whether on
confederal or federal terms, cannot exist without using violence to  maintain the
force that gave birth to it.
There were others who accused  Senegal of being a neo-colonialist state and
cited French military bases there  as an example. Others in fact went to the
extent of saying that even the word  Senegambia was synonymous with a Gambian
subject to Senegal; that we are no  longer given due regard and respect as a
people pertaining to a certain nation  but we lived in a world of mockery and
scorn.
The opposition to the  Senegambia confederation continued to build up,
pioneered by the PDOIS party.  One commentator blamed both Senegal and Gambian
authorities and accused them of  perpetrating an act, which according to him if
unchecked could lead to an  incident in which brother would kill brother, which
he opined, was already  enough. Narrow nationalist feelings such as the above
were also developing  mainly among the youth.
See next issue as we delve into issues of mid  1988.

LABA SOSSEH – The historical legacy of an African musical  genius
Part 2
By Wassa Fatty
Improvisation:
Slavery has robbed  Africa of its human resources and dislocated its
potential to industrialize. Our  African ancestors who were brutally exported as human
slave cargoes to the  Americas where not nonentities or nobodies as the
history books written by  Europeans will tell you; but included nobles and people
who specialized in  various professions. Among those captured and chained to be
slaves were doctors,  teachers, blacksmiths and goldsmiths, leather
specialists, shoemakers, traders,  entrepreneurs, technologists, scientists,
industrialists, farmers, fishermen,  philosophers, engineers, administrators, hunters,
poets, singers, dancers,  comedians, pregnant women and children of all ages.
There were also individuals  who specialized in the making of all kinds of
musical instruments. All these  people were dehumanized on their voyage to the new
world created by the  Europeans and for the interest of the European ruling
elites. Africa’s lost  became the fruitful gains of what we now call the
Western world.
Our  ancestors chained in the slave ships left with no personal belongings to
the new  world. The only thing they carried with them was their skins,
memories,  languages, talents, blood and flesh to generate wealth for Europeans.
Under any  condition, especially in dehumanized conditions, humans may loose
their names  and language, but they do not forget their history or place of
origin. They may  not also possess original materials they used for cultural
development, but they  do have innovative skills to improvise the type of things they
left behind under  forceful and painful conditions such as slavery. It is in
this context that one  need to search for the innovative skills of our
ancestors in their new  environment as slaves to understand the cultural
contributions they left behind  for humanity.  The present day popular Salsa music, like
Rumba, Chacha,  Blues, Jazz, Soul, Wrap, Ska, Reggae, Calypso, Steel band or
even Rock music,  you name them; all had their roots from these improvised
musical instruments. It  was from these musical instruments made in the slave
plantations that gave birth  to all these music we now call “Western music.” What
is Western music without  the Black presence?  The evidence given in Salsa
music will support the  argument.
Salsa music as it is known today was African in origin. Its origin  came from
the African musical instruments produced in slave plantations. Many  things
the slaves were using for their own emotional needs and to establish  their own
identity were banned by the slave masters. For example the banning of  the
drums led to the improvisation of steel drums (empty barrels) in the  Caribbean.
So was the history of other improvised musical instruments produced  in the
plantations.
Thus, here are some of the names of the improvised  musical instruments below:
Among those improvised musical instruments as  narrated by Maureen Turner and
Elena Perez Sajurjo of the Institute of Cuban  music, where the “Bongoes”
(an African name), corruptly called the “Bongocitos”  in Spanish. The Bongo or
Bongoes are two wooden shells joined together at the  middle and the tops
covered with leather and produced sounds when struck in the  centre. The “Botijuela
” is an ordinary container made from yellow clay with an  opening at the
neck.  Its main use was to transport oil or milk from Spain  to the Caribbean
slave plantations. The slaves improvised the empty containers  of Botijuela to
drums. The “Claves” (improvised “tamma” or talking drum) (keep  the name in
mind) was made from the type of hard wood usually used in the  construction of
boats. It is one inch in diameter and eight inches in length,  but it was one of
the most dynamic musical instruments made outside of Africa by  Africans. It
is one instrument that can give all kinds of sounds and has the  capability to
rise above all other instruments melodically. It can carry or  change the
rhythm, direct the melody and the steps of the dancers as well. The  African “
Tamma” does that too. Its usefulness and popularity spread from Cuba to  the rest
of the Americas and even to Europe. The Cuban music expert, Emilio  Grenet,
correctly stated that the “Clave” is one instrument that can be adjusted  with
every type of Cuban melody. The “Conga” (African name) drums or sometimes
called the “Tumbadora” (“Tumba”, “Tantawo” or “Kutiro” in Mandinka. “Jembe”
 in  Wollof), is made from a shell or hollow wood. To play it, it is held
between the  knees or hung from the shoulders. The “Cobwell” or called in
Spanish ‘Cencerro,’  is made from hard metal to give or provide strong sounds when
strike with a  metal stick. The “Guiro” is mostly a rhythmic instrument made
from large dried  gourd (“Mirangwo” in Mandinka), with several lines carved
on the sides and a  hole in the back. It can create different vibrations of
sounds depending on what  is strike against it; wooden or metal stick. The “
Marimbula,” is a wooden box  with a circular opening which serves as the sound
hole. It has sheets of metal  of different sizes fastened over an opening and
produce different sounds when  played with the finger tips. It was made by
Africans in Santo Domingo or Haiti.  The “Quijada” was among the earliest improvised
instruments the Spanish slavers  called “primitive” instrument or “jawbones”
 in Louisiana, USA. As the slave  masters banned the wooden clapping sticks (“
Wooleh-wumaw” in Jola) in the  plantations, slaves improvised this instrument
with large animal jawbones such  as donkeys or horses. When the upper and
lower jawbones are strike together, it  produces various sounds and it became an
instrument that accompanies the clave  instrument. The “Timbales” are drums
of different sizes (“Bukarabu” in Jola). It  could be two or more drums
normally placed according to sizes to give different  sounds. It gave life to rumba
music for that matter and became a very vital  instrument in Latin American
music to this day.

HEALTH AND  NUTRITION BANTABA
What Is Measles
By Yaya Bajo
(Courtesy of  HEU)
Measles remains a leading cause of death among young children, despite  the
availability of a safe and effective vaccine for the past 40 years. An
estimated 345,000 people, the majority of them children, died from measles in  2005
(the latest year for which figures are available)
Measles is one of the  most contagious diseases known. Almost all non-immune
children contract measles  if exposed to the virus. Measles is an acute viral
illness caused by a virus in  the paramyxo-virus family. As a respiratory
disease, measles virus normally  grows in the cells that line the back of the
throat and in the cells that line  the lungs. Measles is a human disease with no
known animal  reservoir.
Vaccination had had a major impact on measles death. From 200 to  2005, more
than 360 million children globally received measles vaccine through
supplementary immunization activities. Moreover, improvements have been made  routine
immunization over this period. These accelerated activities have  resulted in a
significant reduction in estimated global measles deaths. Overall,  global
measles mortality decreased by 60% between 1999 and 2005. The largest  gains
occurred in Africa where measles causes and deaths decreased by nearly  75%.
Sings And Symptoms
The first sign of infection is usually high  fever, which begins
approximately 10 to 20 days after exposure and lasts one to  seven days. During the
initial stage, the patient may develop coryzer (running  nose). Cough, red and
watery eyes and small white spots inside the cheeks. After  several days, a rash
develops, usually on the face and upper neck. Over a period  of about three
days, the rash proceeds downward, eventually reaching the hands  and feet. The
rash lasts for five to six days, then fades. The rash occurs, on  average, at day
14 after exposure to the virus, with a range of seven to 18  days.
Complications
Measles occur after an unpleasant mild or moderately  severe illness. Severe
measles is particularly likely in poorly nourished young  children, especially
those who do not receive sufficient vitamin A, or whose  immune system have
been weakened by HIV/AIDS or other disease.
Children  usually do not die directly of measles, but from its complications.
 Complications are more common in children under the age of five or adults
over  the age of 20. The most serious complications include blindness,
encephalitis (a  dangerous infection of the brain causing inflammation), severe
diarrhea  (possibly leading to dehydration), ear infections and severe respiratory
infections such as pneumonia, which is the most common cause of death
associated  with measles. Encephalitis is estimated to occur in 1/1000 case, while
otitis  media (middle ear infection) is reported in 5-15% of cases and pneumonia
in  5-10% of causes. The case fatality rate in developing countries is
generally in  the range of 1 to 5%, but may be as high as 25% in populations with high
levels  of malnutrition and poor access to health care. People who recover
from measles  are immune for the rest of their lives.
People Most At Risk
Un-immunised  persons, especially young children, are highest risk for
measles and its  complications, including death. Measles can also affect
un-immunized older  children, adolescents and young adults. All people who have not been
immunized  with vaccine or who have not acquired immunity through having
experienced the  disease can become infected.
Measles can be particularly deadly in countries  experiencing or recovering
from rates war, civil strife or natural disasters.  Infection rates soar
because damage to infrastructure and health services  interrupts routine
immunization and overcrowding in campus  for refugees  and internally displaced persons
greatly increases the risk of  infection.

Transmission
The highly contagious measles virus is  spread by airborne droplets
(circulating as a result of coughing and sneezing),  close personal contact or direct
contact with nasal or throat secretions of  infected person. Consequently,
measles tends to occur as epidemics which may  cause many deaths especially among
young malnourished children.
The virus  remains active and contagious in the air or on infected surfaces
for up to two  hours. It can be transmitted by an infected individual from four
days prior to  the onset of the rash to four days after the onset. If one
person has the  disease, a high proportion of their susceptible close contacts
will also become  infected with the measles virus.
Treatment
Severe complications from  measles can be avoided through proper clinical
management General nutritional  support and the treatment of dehydration with
oral rehydration solution are  necessary. Antibiotics should be prescribed for
treating eye and ear infections  and pneumonia. To improve survival, it is
important that children with measles  receive adequate nutrition and fluids.
All children in developing countries  diagnosed with measles should receive
two doses of vitamin A supplements given  24 hours apart. Given vitamin A at
the time of diagnosis can help prevent eye  damage and blindness. Moreover,
vitamin A supplementation had been shown to  reduce the number of deaths from
measles by 50%.
Disease And Mortality  Burden
While measles is now rare in many industrialized countries, it remains  a
common illness in many developing countries. More than 20 million people are
infected each year by measles. In 2005, it was estimated that there was 345,000
measles deaths globally; this translate to about 945 measles deaths everyday.
The over whelming majority (> 95%) of measles deaths occur in countries with
per capita Gross National income of less than US $ 1000. The primary reason
for  continuing high childhood measles morbidity and mortality is the failure
to  deliver at least one dose of measles vaccine to all infants. In countries
where  measles has been largely eliminated cases imported from other countries
remain  an important source of infection.
Prevention: A Cost-Effective, Save  Vaccine
Suffering, complications and health caused by measles can be easily
prevented through immunization. The measles vaccine is safe, effective and
inexpensive. It costs less than one US dollar (Consisting of vaccine, injection
equipment and operational costs) to imminise a child against measles, making  measles
vaccination one of the most cost-effective public health interventions
available for preventing death. Measles immunization carries the highest health
return for the money spent saving more lives per unit cost. The vaccine, which
had been available for more than 40 years, costs about US 50.33 per bundle
dose.  (vaccine plus safe injection equipment) if procured through the United
Nations  children Fund (UNICEF).
In many countries where the public health burden of  rubella and/or mumps is
considered to be important, measles vaccine is often  incorporated with
rubella and/or mumps vaccines as a combined, live, attenuated  (weakened).
Measles-Rubella (MR) or Measles-Mumps Rubella (MMR) vaccine. If  procured through
UNICEF, MR vaccine cost about US 5065 per bundled dose, and the  price of MMR per
bundled dose is in the range of $1.04-$1.50 depending on the  manufacturer.
Measles vaccine is equally effective whether in the monovalent or  in the
combined immunization coverage rates for measles vaccination vary  significantly by
region. WHO and UNICEF estimate that the global average for  routine measles
immunization coverage between 1999 and 2005 increased from 71%  to 77%.
To be continued

Cotton Farmers Speak Out After One Year  Of Frustration
By Lamin Fatty
Cotton farmers in CRR and URR have received  the moneys owed them by Gamcot.
This development happened after one year of  waiting which was characterized
by anger, frustration and hardship. Speaking to  this reporter at the Gamcot
office after receiving his money, Kunna Bah, a  farmer and a native of Sarejideh
in the Wuli East District pointed out that his  cotton weight 300kg which
according to him is equivalent to D2200 after paying  all his inputs credit to
Gamcot. He said that he does not cultivate cotton this  season because of
difficulties in getting the usual raw materials (seeds) from  the company. He said
the only crop he cultivated is coos.
Another  farmer,  Jiddeh Bah, also a native of Sare Jiddeh  told this
reporter  that his cotton weight over 1000kg. He said he paid D1275 to Gamcot, being
the  cost of the input he took from Gamcot. He said he was finally left with
D8, 890.  He also added that he does not cultivate cotton this year due to the
fact that  he encountered difficulties. He explained that normally at the
beginning of the  rainy season, Gamcot officials do visit the farmers who want to
grow cotton and  supply them with seeds and fertilizers; that this t year no
Gamcot staff was  seen ; that in the whole of Wuli East and Central, only three
farmers cultivate  cotton; that even those three farmers who cultivate
cotton, got their seeds from  neighbouring Senegal.
When asked where these farmers are going to sell their  cotton to since
Gamcot did not advice them to grow cotton, he said that what  these three farmers
told him was that they are going to sell it to Senegal if  Gamcot will not buy
it. He called on the management of Gamcot to look into  better management
strategies to improve cotton production. Jiddeh Bah remarked  that Gambian farmers
are now desperate since groundnut production is already in  shambles and the
sustainability of cotton production is also seriously at stake.
Alagie Abdou Keita, at  Foday Kunda, said  he received   D5,640after paying
the money he owed Gamcot.. He urged Gamcot to supply farmers  with seeds at the
right time, otherwise  farmers will end up diversifying  from cotton to other
food crops that are consumed locally. He finally urged  farmers to continue
to produce cotton and not to be threatened or discouraged by  their ordeal.
Another farmer interviewed was Tamba Saho, said to be a native  of Bani in
the Kantora District who explained that his cotton weighed 441kg  which earned
him D3,080 after paying  the money he owed Gamcot. He also  said that he did
not cultivate cotton because of the same reasons advanced by  the other farmers
but that he used to grow cotton.
Pa Sarjo Sanyang, a  native of Song Kunda in the Kantora District also an
area president, said he  cannot remember how many kilos his cotton had weighed ,
but was paid   D1160.00  after paying  his debts. He said he has not seen a
single  cotton farm in the whole of Kantora District because of the constraints.
Alpha  Bah, the National President of the Gambia Cotton Growers Association
(COGA) said  he was happy and comfortable that the farmers are finally paid. He
said all that  he was craving for was for farmers to receive their money;
that as a leader you  can never be comfortable if your followers are in trouble
or in difficulty. He  thanked the farmers for their understanding and
cooperation by maintaining  patience; that this is what is expected of them. The COGA
president said he  cultivated cotton this year .He said he did use the seeds he
gathered from his  farm last year to cultivate cotton this year.He said
Gamcot will buy the cotton.  Mr. Bah finally appealed to the government for support
as cotton contributes a  lot towards the economy of the country and that
cattle benefit a lot from the  cottonseed as a good source of animal feed. When
contacted to shed light on the  issues raised by the cotton farmers, the Manager
of Gamcot Amadou Danso said the  government had written to the parent
company, Dagis, in France for them to meet  with the sister company in Senegal in
order to discuss the future of the  company. Mr. Danso, however, pointed out that
Gamcot can be sustained for one  year with the present cash flow at their
disposal.

Gambia  Gets U.S $3 Million World Bank Grant
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The World Bank  has approved a grant of US$ 3 million to support the Gambia’s
Capacity Building  for Economic Management Project.
According to a release from the bank, it’s  board of Executive Directors on
Tuesday October 30 in Washington gave the  approval of “An International
Development Assistance (IDA) additional grant to  support the Capacity Building for
Economic Management of The Gambia, without an  expansion and a scale-up of the
original project activities.”
This new grant  is expected to establish the Integrated Financial Management
Information System  (IFMIS) and to build local capacity in its usage. The
release read: “The  establishment of The Gambia Revenue Authority (GRA) and the
streamlining of  customs procedures and upgrading of the Automated System
Customs Data  Administration (ASYCUDA) IT system are also among activities to be
funded by the  additional grant.” The project was initially approved by the IDA’
s Board of  Executive Directors in July 2001 and was due to close on December
31, 2007, but  as part of additional financing, the closing date has been
extended to December  31, 2008.
“As of September 1, 2007, 94.4 percent of the credit has been  disbursed,”
the bank said.
The World Bank Task Team Leader for the project,  Hoon Sahib Soh quoted by
the release said: “This additional grant would help  finance costs associated
with some of the original project activities which have  experienced cost
overruns. It will allow the Government of The Gambia to  complete ongoing
initiatives, thereby contributing towards the achievement of  the initial Project
Development Objective (PDO) and the sustainability of the  initiatives”. Hoon Sahib
Soh emphasised that the “Expected out comes from these  activities are
improved public financial management, both for revenue and  expenditures”.

Lamin R. Darboe And Co. Trial
Another  Adjournment
By Modou Jonga
The trial involving the State and Mr. Lamin R.  Darboe of the UDP and four
others was on Wednesday 31 October 2007 deferred to  14 November. The trial did
not proceed due to the absence of the presiding  Magistrate Ayub Johnny Njie..
Readers would recall that the five supporters  of the UDP, who pleaded not
guilty to the preferred assault charges, were first  arraigned in court on 7
August, 2006 before Magistrate S.B Tabally. The accused  persons Lamin R. Darboe,
Buba Darboe, Jerreh Fatty, Maimuna Jobarteh and Momodou  Demba are alleged to
have unlawfully assaulted the complainants thereby causing  them bodily harm
on 15 May, 2006, at Pirang village in the Kombo East District..
Only two prosecution witnesses have so far testified before Magistrate Njie.
The first prosecution witness, Morro Bojang, while being cross examined by
defense counsel lawyer Ousainou Darboe, denied having known that on the night
of  15 May, 2006 the APRC supporters were arrested by police officers from
Mandina-Ba Police Station based on the complaint lodged by the first accused,
Lamin R. Darboe.

Employee Accuses Police Of Torture
By  Modou Jonga
Vincent Badjie, who is currently standing trial on a count of  theft and
house breaking, has told the Brikama Magistrates Court that his  cautionary and
voluntary statements were obtained involuntarily. A German at  Madina Salam in
the Kombo South District employs the accused, who pleaded not  guilty to the
charge of house breaking.
While entering his defence on Tuesday  30 October 2007, the accused noted
that he was tortured by officers at the  Gunjur police station and was forced to
give his statement.
While being  cross-examined by prosecutor Corporal 134 Sambou, the accused
dismissed the  argument deployed by the prosecution that his statement was
obtained under  duress and in the absence of an independent witness.

EMBASSY OF THE  REPUBLIC OF CUBA
PRESS RELEASE
Crushing Defeat of US blockade of Cuba at  UN General  Assembly
Havana, Oct 30(acn) For the sixteenth consecutive  time, United Nations
members voted against the US economic, financial and  commercial blockade of Cuba.
The resolution presented by the island received 184  votes in favour, one more
than in 2006, four against and one  abstention.
President Bush’s latest speech calling for a strengthening of the  economic
war on the Cuban people triggered an opposite reaction and the White  House was
suddenly left alone except for its own vote, that of its loyal ally  Israel.
and the vote of the Marshall Islands and Palau. Only Micronesia  abstained.
The Bush administration tried in vain to “persuade” UN members  prior and
during the General Assembly sessions, but the pressure only worked on  Albania,
which did not show up, and Iraq and El Salvador whose representatives  left
the room before taking the vote.
Several countries spoke up against the  blockade. Pakistan took the floor on
behalf of the Group of 77, while Egypt did  so representing the Non Aligned
Movement, and the Bahamas on behalf of  CARICOM.
Venezuela, Mexico, Viet Nam and South Africa stood up alongside Cuba  as
well, as did, in their speeches, the representatives of China, Russia, India,
Uganda, Bolivia, Libya, Tanzania, Zambia, Nicaragua and Zimbabwe. Cuba’s Foreign
Minister Felipe Perez Roque called on UN members to support the report
entitled  “Necessity to end the economic, financial and commercial blockade imposed
by  Washington against Cuba,” considering the blockade as part of an extra
territorial and illegal policy, a genocide. The draft resolution, which had
already been circulated among the 192 member states, is supported by an annual
report by the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon, which reflects the
disagreement  of 120 countries and institutions in relation to the US aggressive policy
against Cuba.
“Cuba will never give up. On the contrary, Cuba will fight on  because by
defending the rights of their people it is defending the rights of  all the
peoples represented by the UN General Assembly,” he  concluded.

Jolly Riders Donate Over 600 Bicycles
By Madiba  Singhateh
Jolly Riders Foundation in the UK in collaboration with the Board  of the
Foundation in the Gambia handed over 600 bicycles to students of the  upper basic
and senior secondary Schools at a presentation held at Gunjur Kombo  South,
on Thursday 25 October 2007.
Mr Kebba K. Barrow, the Secretary of  Jolly Riders in The Gambia on his
welcome remarks said their objective is to  develop the capacity and skills of
students in Gambian schools through the  provision of training facilities and
opportunities delivered by different means  and format.
Mr. Barrow said the Foundation was registered on 25th April 2006  and that
from March 2006 they handed over 909 bicycles to 9 upper basic schools  in The
Gambia.
He noted that the donation of 665 bicycles to upper basic and  senior
secondary schools emanates from the concern that children travel for more  than 4
kilometres to school in their division.
Mr. Barrow also noted that  Jolly Foundation in both The Gambia and UK is
supported by Her Majesty to  deliver the bicycles  in The Gambia.
He said the foundation will donate  the 1000 bicycle to PS Department of
State for Basic Education because of their  commitment, noting that the Department
paid the D132, 894 for the 665 bicycles  at the customs, so they are thanking
them.
Mr. Barrow concluded by saying  that they have donated 1665 bicycles to meet
their target in the Millennium  Development Goal of Education in 2015. He said
they are expecting another batch  of bicycles in November. The bicycles
donated are giving to schools like Kalagi  Upper, Keneba Basi cycle, Karantaba
Upper, Pakalinding Upper, Japineh Upper and  Siffoe Senior Secondary Schools.
Hon. Borry Colley the national Assembly  Member for Foni Jarrol also
commented on the gesture and said parents should  know that these bicycles are for
their children.
Mr Abdou Badjie the Governor  for Western Division said he wants the mutual
relationship to grow from strength  to strength. He said that the gifts would
enable the children to go to school  punctually.
He said they train the children on how to use the high way and  they will
call the attention of the police to the vehicles on the highway in a  workshop.
He said it will be organised for children also on how to use them (the
bicycles) effectively.
He said his office will give land to Jolly Riders as  they are doing a good
job.

Sports’ Journalists’ Awards in  December
By Modou Nyang
The Sports Journalist Association will finally  stage their long awaited
awards in December, a statement from the General  Secretary indicates.
Signed by Sainabou Kujabi, General Secretary of the  Sports Journalist
Association of the Gambia, the statement revealed that the  event will be staged in
partnership with Football Digest newspaper. The event is  scheduled to take
place on December 22nd.
The awards, the first of its kind  in the country, will honour sportspersons
for their performance during the year.  Coaches, administrators and sports
sponsors will also be awarded too, the  statement added.