GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 05:53:34 PDT
Dear Kabir,

To be very frank I was just pulling legs but to my surprise,I never new that
Kabir is arabic.You have it in Mandingkan but they say Kabiro.Saikou, I
beleived comes from the Arabic, Shiek.It is just been Africanise.You can see
that there is a rich collection of Typical Gambian names.We must again call
the attention of people to the fact that one is  interested in purely typical
Gambian names,some of these names are used in many parts of the continent.
I have my many doubts as to how original Jabou(Jaboh)is,even though it is
found in many  tribes.I believed that Jaboh might be very much related to
Jainaba.
I might also made mention that there are certain names that could be found in
different tribes,this is so because of the interrelationship of the different
tribes.I might name my child after a friend who is wollof or Jola.Secondly
there was this assimilation process,take Sankung which is typical Jola,but
this name is very common among the Mandinkas.
Another point,there are certain names that reflects certain
situations,especially those of women.Women who have had difficulties of having
a child after a long married and if they happen to have one at  a point they
give this child a name that either expressed satisfactions,like Wassa,or other
forms of feelings.The same thing applies to women who have on many occasions
witness losing their child at birth.This is very common within the Mandingka
tribe.I  believed that names like Tombong,Manlafy,Karafa,Allabatu etc might be
of such character.
Just thinking high !!

For freedom

Saiks

>       MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Saiks, you wrote:

"....There are so many things coming out of this here and this is convincing,
we
must not let it go,these beautiful names must be taken care of.I only hope
that more will be coming.By the way is Kabir indigenous?...."

I think Kabir is Arabic in origin. In the Arabic language it means the same
thing as Kebba in Mandinka. You also find Sahir which means junior. Or were
you just pulling my leg?

By the way, thanks for bringing up a topic that has really gotten us going. I
took Sunday off from my pc and am stilling going through the very find and
enthusiastic responses so far. I may have a couple to add when I through
reading all suggestions, if I'm not beaten at it by Jabou and others.

By the way what is the origin of Saikou?!?

Kabir.