GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 00:57:40 -0000
Yus:

I hope this write-up would help you. I'll be brief though, because my
computer is misbehaving tonight.

According to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), during the 1996
Presidential Election, Yahya Jammeh "won" 55.76 percent of the presidential
vote, as opposed to 35.34 percent "won" by Lawyer Ousainou Darboe. Hamat Bah
of NRP got 5.52 percent, while PDOIS’ Sidia Jatta secured 2.87 percent.
According to these results, released by the IEC, Jammeh came first in 37 out
of the 45 constituencies, with Lawyer Darboe getting the remaining eight.

Also, according to the IEC, 446,541 Gambians had registered to vote, but
only 394,504 people, or 88.35 percent of the registered voters, had voted.
And this was the breakdown given by the IEC: That Jammeh and his APRC party
got 220,011 votes or 55.76 percent of the votes cast; Darboe and his UDP
party secured 141,397 votes or 35.34 percent; Hamat Bah won 21,759 votes or
5.52 percent, and Sidia Jatta got 11,337 or 2.87 percent of the votes cast.

Take note though that these IEC results were rejected by the UDP, while the
Commonwealth described them as being "deeply flawed."

Ebrima Ceesay