GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:51:15 -0400
Political punditry aside, common sense tells us that Yaya is finished. If
there is a free and fair election in the country, there is no way Yaya can
win a legal luminary like Ousainou Darboe. While APRC is wasting time
spreading disinformation and ridiculous predictions about a Yaya victory,
the Alliance is talking directly to the citizens telling them how an
Alliance government is going to SOLVE their problems.

Yaya is finished because contrary to conventional wisdom in certain
quarters, Gambian voters are a very savvy and independent lot. We witnessed
how incumbents have been defeated in Parliamentary elections in the country
on numerous occasions. Gambian voters understand the issues because they are
living it. No political pundit or intellectual need to tell our farmers that
APRC is NOT good for them. Farmers were happily selling their crops every
year before Baabaa Jobe and his thugs stormed the Alimenta premises and
drove them out of the country. Our farmers have seen the APRC manifesto and
there are no solutions there to solve the farmers’ problems. Our farmers
know that Yaya stole power from a democratically elected government, had an
opportunity to do good, but instead decided to render our people destitute
because he does NOT have the wherewithal to move us forward. So, it is a
well-known fact that under Yaya’s watch, when the country had unprecedented
good rains and more groundnuts we have ever had, our people could NOT enjoy
their sweat because they could NOT sell their groundnuts.

Yaya and his cohorts have no plans to change this predicament for our
people. Instead, what they would do is take Ousainou Darboe (the Alliance
presidential candidate, in case Alliance detractors did NOT notice) out of
the picture and focus on PPP. APRC and detractors like SM Dibba are still
obsessing over PPP and blaming the country’s woes on Jawara. These are the
pathetic excuses of people that have nothing to offer to Gambians. Need I
tell them that it was Baabaa Jobe and NOT Jawara that expelled Alimenta out
of the country and cost the Gambian taxpayer 12 million pounds sterling? In
any case what Gambians are interested in during this election season is
SOLUTIONS to our problems. Farmers want to know how the groundnuts would be
sold at competitive rates. The Alliance has professional accountants,
lawyers and economists that are spelling out to our farmers exactly how
their plight is going to be alleviated vis-à-vis the marketing of
groundnuts.

But the Alliance also recognize that that is only part of the problem facing
our people. People are not just facing problems trying to earn a living.
While people’s incomes are going down, prices of basic commodities in the
country are going up. Today a bag of rice in the country costs twice what it
used to cost before Yaya usurped power from a democratically elected
government. Price of fuel has gone up. Price of sugar, cooking oil, candles,
you name it, have all gone up. Our people are living this. I have confidence
that those people will repudiate the government that has reposed such misery
on them.

You move away from the miserable reality of our people and scrutinize what
plans politicians have for the future of our country. Apart from the
Alliance, all the other plans range from ‘no plans’ to ‘unworkable plans’.
We have acute budget ‘in-balances’ in the country. APRC has no plans to
solve this issue. All their government does is borrow money from Standard
Chartered or Social Security through treasury bills. We have acute foreign
exchange problems in the country. This problem leads to the astronomical
prices in the country and the destitute state of our people. How does APRC
solve this problem? ‘No plans’. So long as Yaya can just write a check and
withdraw money from his Swiss Bank accounts, he does NOT care about the
foreign currency problems of our entrepreneurs. Other Alliance detractors,
they don’t talk about problem solving most of the time they speak. To them
most problems can be tackled by just saying that it is Jawara’s fault.

The Alliance is certainly winning the bread and butter issues, because it is
giving SOLUTIONS to our people. Yaya and his cohorts have nothing to offer.
Stealing the election on election day and using garbage publication as
Observer to spread disinformation is the hope for APRC. But they will fail
in both endeavors. Gambians will NOT allow APRC to use the IEC to steal the
elections. As we speak/write, the Alliance is following the footsteps of the
APRC in every constituency the latter visits in order to spread LIES. I saw
the APRC Daily peddling garbage again about Alliance rallies. Instead of
giving SOLUTIONS to our people, they are lying to Yaya again about
Opposition support in the country. Well, Buba Baldeh and Yankuba Touray can
fool Yaya, but they CANNOT fool the people. I am NOT in Gambia and they are
NOT fooling me with their propaganda. Surely, they CANNOT fool the people on
the ground.

The APRC mental midgets at Observer want to make Yaya feel good by reporting
that Alliance rallies are not attracting numbers. Nothing can be farther
from the truth. When Buba Baldeh was talking about Kerewan what he ‘forgot’
to mention to Yaya was that Darboe had THREE UNSCHEDULED rallies at the
INSISTENCE of Alliance supporters in Nuimi and Jokado before arriving late
in Kerewan. Understandably, when Darboe and his team arrived in Kerewan,
supporters had already (regrettably) dispersed. The truth is very different
from what Buba Baldeh is telling Yaya. The Alliance is going to win in
Kerewan if Yaya does NOT steal the election. Yaya was in Barra few days ago
and people saw what he said there. The mental midget gave our people NO
SOLUTIONS. Instead, he was busy making a fool of himself again.

Moving to another APRC/Observer disinformation. Buba Baldeh is also NOT
telling Yaya the truth again. But what do people expect from a sycophant
like Buba Baldeh. The last thing he would do is say something that will
upset Yaya. Although I am NOT familiar as to why the Alliance rally in
Salikenni was cancelled, I am confident it has NOTHING to do with lack of
support in Salikenni. What is more likely is that Alliance leaders want to
avoid any conflict that might flare up between Alliance and NCP supporters
that ALREADY decided that they were going to organize a rally first. The
Alliance, cognizant of the fact that now APRC is blaming Alliance supporters
for every thuggery in the country, I am confident thought it more prudent to
wait until after Dibba’s rally in order to have their own rally. Surely,
Buba Baldeh will NOT tell Yaya the truth. The vermin are in denial. In any
case, I cannot understand why APRC is rejoicing over votes that are NOT
coming to them. The people of Badibu will recognize that Darboe is more
elect-able than Dibba and vote for Darboe. People will recognize that Dibba
is only in this for selfish motives. The man does NOT want anybody to lead
him. By the way, I wonder what happened to talks between NCP and NRP. What
told me that that will NOT get anywhere so long as Dibba was NOT the leader?
Badibu, like the rest of the country is going to give Darboe victory on
October 18.

Baldeh will NOT report the numerous rallies the APRC had to cancel because
of lack of support. Let Baldeh tell us how many times Yaya cancelled rallies
in Badibu and Sabach. Even Yankuba Touray that claims to be from Badibu
CANNOT deliver that to the APRC. Yaya is finished. We all know that in both
Bakau and Banjul APRC had converted their rallies to attaya sessions because
of lack of support. SM Dibba’s first rally when he came back from his
‘vacation from politics’ was held in Bakau and it attracted less than 80
people. The Alliance rally in Bakau attracted more than sixty thousand
supporters. These are the FACTS Buba Baldeh needs to report to his boss to
avoid giving Yaya a heart attack when the results are announced.

I hope the Alliance come out in full force against sycophants like Buba
Baldeh and put the record straight. A great job is being done mapping out a
bright future for our country. But the Alliance should also be mindful of
the shenanigans of sycophants like Buba Baldeh. They should NOT be allowed
to bamboozle the few gullible people in our midst that still have not
smelled the coffee. The Alliance must maintain the momentum and shadow the
vermin anywhere they go and NOT allow the APRC to take credit for PPP
projects while at the same time blaming PPP even if Yaya steals from the
people and open Swiss Bank accounts. No Devil made him do it. The vermin is
simply despicable. We should force him to be accountable and not blame
others for the misery he is visiting on our people.
KB