GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:29:26 EST
Gassama:
An older friend once told me that he thought the biggest reason for the
failure of folks, all things being equal, is because they either refuse to
give credit to the next man, or simply do not want another person to prosper.
 We have seen this many times on the Gambia-L where virulent attacks have
been perpetrated on folks who are deemed successful or prosperous.  I don't
know about others, but I have been the victim of these type of attacks since
I was about 10 years old.  So this is really nothing new to me.  But it is
something which I recognize as a very Gambian trait.  Jealousy or "Anyan" as
we call it in Wollof is killing our society.

We have seen many Gambians get victimized of late because of their political
affiliations or even at times, because of the affiliations of family members.
 OJ is suffering the same fate now.  Because he has an international
placement, all sorts of frivolous charges are being used as an excuse to
prevent him from traveling and hence assuming his position with the
Commonwealth.  How is it that perfectly qualified youths, who BTW will do us
proud one day, are being denied scholarships to travel abroad because of the
political affiliations of family members?  Why?

I plead with my fellow countrymen to give credit where due and stop the
culture of jealousy.  It will take us nowhere.

-YUS