GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:12:14 -0500
All aspects of our lives (Gambian lives) are seen with the bifocal of a
developing country, or to be blunt, a primitive society. Most things
that are home made are looked at critically, and with suspicion. The
talk of a Gambian Businessman coming to chat with us about purchasing of
houses created more of curiosity more so than any serious expectation.
In the area of governance and managing of businesses, Gambians are known
to carry along with adjectives like: incompetent, mismanagement,
corrupt, disorganize and business failures. Two things are very factual
about our country, there has never been an honest an effective
government, or a successful businessman that has impacted the economy
and the community at large.

I walked into the room to hear what Mr. Taf njie’s presentation was all
about; unfairly, I thought my expectation was so low that this gentleman
was gonna meet my low expectation. To my surprised and to most of us,
Mr.njie was definitely a new breed of Gambian businessman. He was a
professional and came across with a superb knowledge of his product, and
the presentation was brilliant. This piece is not to promote his houses;
although, personally I will advise Gambians living in the Diaspora to
look into this deal. What this piece is to communicate to the G-L that
Mr. Taf Njie and entrepreneurs like him can be our only hope to rescue
our Gambian economy. They have what it takes to build businesses, create
employment and raise standards. Yes, even after achieving our main
objective of democracy, effective governance, accountability and justice
for all, we are also going to need businessmen like Mr.njie to build our
economy, create employment and take the country to the finish line.

At least coming out of that presentation, I was proud to be a Gambian,
and there is a tiny glimpse that we might still pull it off in our time.
Thanks Mr.Mustapha Njie for reassuring us that it is not all-hopeless.

Musa Jeng