GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:17:12 +0100
Brother Omar Joof,

Many thanks for a powerful message from NDAM. As you may have noticed, I am
behind schedule these days, so please forgive me for these rather late
observations:

I agree with your view that "it is going to take more than just voting to
replace this rotten structure that the AFPRC-APRC has taken to the gutter
level". i.e there is a need for a significant system overhaul even after
elections. Yet you seem to de-emphasise the very idea of voting? Should it
not be the case that the entire electoral process that culminates in the
final act of voting, and the counting of those votes is the very important
beginning of a successful, constitutionally sanctioned, and lasting
system-overhaul? Is that not the reason why it is so crucial that we
struggle for a transparent, respectable and truely independent IEC.

I think, however that your very last statement is what I found more
worrisome: No Participation No Right To Speak. The very idea of not being
able to speak for any reason under the sun just makes me nervous. My
brother, please kindly explain what you mean by this statement. Once again,
thank you for a very strong and inspiring statement.

Cheers,
Momodou S Sidibeh