GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 16:28:14 +0000
Joe,

Given the recent shifting of the debates from the REAL issues concerning The
Gambia, I must say that I have been waiting for something with a more
relevant title.

To quote Tombong Saidy's piece in which he wrote:

Pa Sallah Jeng along with all those who won during the local Government
elections will be sworn in soon. By this coming Wednesday, Pa Sallah and the
others would be sworn in if things go well. After all, there is no thing in
the Constitution or the Local Government Act that mentions the time frame
regarding the swearing in of elected local government official. The people
have spoken and their voices are heard. The APRC's motto is EMPOWERMENT OF
THE PEOPLE and they will respect and work with all the Independent
candidates to develop this country.

Clearly, when one reads the above statement, it  does not require a rocket
scientist to understand that the likely occurence of this happening anytime
soon is very remote as it is further  polished with the lovely situational
dilemma of "IF THINGS GO WELL".

Although Tombong should be applauded for trying to shed some light on the
issue by offering the L some insight on the constitution  or the Local
government Act regarding elected local government official, it will be more
fitting for Mafy to at least offer some insight regarding the situation or
better yet explain the logistical issues involved in putting together the
inauguration.

To give the benefit of the doubt, I think Mafy can very well  tell you that
this issue hits home for us here in Atlanta, and would like to leave that
to him to read between the lines and understand that he is still part of OUR
family,like he has always been regardless of our political affiliation or
beliefs.

What has happened in Banjul is unprecedented, and all those involved should
try to make an attempt to expedite the wishes of the people and again adhere
to the fact that Power belongs to the people.

In closing, WE hope that they would all work together to make this a speedy
transition of power and allow all elected candidates to serve in their
respective offices.

Best Regards,

Ablie Njie- Lekbi