GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:31:04 EST
The biggest issue which faces Gambians both abroad and at home is the
destitute situation which our country is in right now and the causes for
these problems.

Uncle Tombong a suggestion of issues that the Gambian people would really be
interested in hearing.  I suggest that in the principle of fairness and
transparency, you start a roundtable on some of the following issues. Ones
which the Gambia-L has already discussed in depth.

Let me see:
1.  The massacre of an untold amount of students by government forces.  Yet,
the government refuses to accept responsibility and blame for the situation.
This despite the fact that accepting blame and doing the right thing would
not loosen their hold on the reins of power.  Not yet anyway!

2.  The blatant looting of public funds by the headman in power.  How else
can we account for castles in Kanilai and a private airplane which is
financed by Gambian taxpayers despite the desperate economic situation back
home.

3.  All sorts of underhanded sordid business dealings by the major
businessmen in power with the complicity of Yahya and his cohorts. At the
expense of the Gambian people.  How can free market prosper in a country
where there is no opportunity for fair minded business people to prosper?

4.  Harassment of the average Gambian by the NIA to the point where people
can be arbitrarily arrested in the middle of the night in front of their
families for no reason except that they were brave enough to talk the truth.

5.  The deployment of incompetent characters in sensitive government
positions.  For example, Yankuba Touray as minister of whatever.  How can we
prosper when the people responsible for crucial aspects of our country are
not capable?  Shades of the old regime?

I can go on and on...  But I will stop for now because I have a meeting to
attend.  I will come back and start a more comprehensive list soon.