GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:37:02 -0800
Essa,

I think we need to clarify some few things and establish the sequence of events leading up to your departure from the Gambian Embassy in DC.  Here are the facts as far as I know:

1.  Someone at the embassy under your watch reported my name amongst a list of other Gambians to the US authorities alleging my engagement in subversive activities.
2.  During your tenure as the Gambian ambassador you made overtures for me to reconcile with Yaya Jammeh, and intimated that Yaya through Abdoulie Kujabi asked that I write an "Apology Letter"...  I sent you an open letter first before anybody else.  This letter became distorted and quoted out of context throughout the entire Gambian media.

3.  Months later you were relieved of your duties as the Gambian Ambassador during Yaya's visit the moment I called to discuss my plans to meet Jammeh. Your emphasis for my cancelling the meeting was confusing enough nevertheless I insisted to go and meet Jammeh NOT to "apologize" as you call it but to discuss other issues.

4.  Subsequently, I visited the Gambian embassy only to learn from Pa Njagga Mendy, and Tijan Massaneh Ceesay that you have been recalled and that you were the one making reports to the US authorities.  I was even shown a copy of a letter you wrote to SOS Foreign Affairs (and copied to the NIA director, Abdoulie Kujabi) complaining about your staff amongst other things...

Essa I just want to set the record straight and level with you as a friend.  Perhaps you too can  help clarify as to why you were recalled and whether it has anything to do with the "list" sent to the US authorities.

Regards,

Ebou