GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:41:21 -0800
  Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
  Issue No. 10/2006, 9-12 February, 2006
  Editorial
  A NEW ERA OF POLITICS
  A new era of politics is the making. Political parties of diverse persuasions have agreed to do away with the politics of insults, character assassination, intimidation and violence in the pursuit of their political objectives. If the political leaders are truly committed to the memorandum of understanding that they have signed, it would serve as a guarantee for a peaceful and stable political environment, underpinned by a transparent, plural and democratic environment.
  The battle for the hearts and minds of the people will no longer be based on insults, character assassination, intimidation and violence but on the politics of issues, and the politics of civility.
  All the speakers at the signing ceremony are aware of the fact that the signing of the MOU is only the stepping stone to the beginning of a new era. This is why President Obasanjo stressed that the leaders should do more than mere signing of a paper to achieve results. Similar sentiments were expressed by both sides of the political divide. After noting that the nation is larger than any political party, President Jammeh indicated that we should go beyond signing of the MOU to upholding it. NADD coordinator, Halifa Sallah, on the other hand, while noting there must be goodwill, emphasized that the contents of the MOU must be written in our hearts and minds and our conscience.
  In short, the signing of the MOU is a clarion call for all political figures to open a new page in Gambian politics, the politics of issues and civility. The MOU is not about reconciling political differences or ideologies. It is about how we conduct ourselves politically in pursuit of our diverse political objectives, it is about conducting political activities in free, peaceful and conducive environment. It is only then that we can begin to talk about the undiluted choice of the people; the free _expression of the will of the people. Without such an environment in place we cannot talk about the sovereign will of the people. Gambian politics is now at a threshold. Gambians are becoming more and more reluctant in throwing and receiving punches on behalf of political leaders. They do not also want to be “handbags” and be carried around as political leaders move from place to place. They keep raising issues, demanding answers and exerting themselves. The politics of the drums and
 music is now having less impact while the politics of issues is gaining ground.
  The hopes of the Gambian people have been raised to the sky. It will be a crime to dash their hopes. Let us hope that the politics of insults, slander, threats, intimidation and violence is now a thing of the past. Let us also hope that government resources will not be used to the advantage of any political party again. Let us also hope that Commissioners, Chiefs, and Alkaloes will no longer be seen in the campaign trail.
  We should never forget that a governing party in power is a potential opposition party just like Prime Minister Ian Smith who had asserted that there would be no Majority rule in his life time, later became an opposition member of parliament. Whatever one soweth so shall he/she reap.
  Indeed as individuals we are nothing. Power belongs to the people and can only be derived from the people.

  DARBOE HOLDS PRESS CONFERENCE
  By Emil Touray
  Ousainou Darboe has confirmed his resignation from NADD at a press conference held at the UDP bureau on Wednesday. He also pointed out that he will apply to be a supporter of the United Democratic Party, noting that the UDP will hold a really in Brikama on Saturday. He also stated that the National Reconciliation Party has agreed to work with the United Democratic Party. Darboe also revealed that Hamat Bah will be at the proposed rally on Saturday. Darboe said he will encourage the UDP to form a committee that will work out the details of an Alliance with the NRP. Darboe said he has resigned because he has noticed a gradual shift from the memorandum of understanding. He pinted out that it is for the UDP to decide whether it will continue to be a member of NADD, noting that his deputy, Yaya Jallow and Kemeseng Jammeh, are still members of NADD.
  Darboe also added that he cannot continue to be a member of NADD due to lack of trust amongst its leaders. He however pointed out that the members of NADD are honourable gentlemen and that he has enormous respect for Sedia Jatta.
  In his explanation, Darboe said the Memorandum of Understanding that was signed by the five political parties clearly states the continuous existence of the five opposition parties.
  Darboe said, “The Alliance was to operate a coalition and not a single political entity, because political pluralism is what is being encouraged and not to have two dominant political parties in the country. We all agreed that this was what was necessary and I am gratified that I am associated with such a move which in my view was helping to create a level playing field. I got into it because it tallied with my vision and aspiration and the vision and aspiration of the United Democratic Party which I was then leading. The Alliance that was established was subsequently transformed into a political party. There were some difficulties not only some difficulties but there were some human frailties which in my view hindered our progress. In any organisation, be it political or commercial, whatever nature, there must be trust amongst its members. They must respect each other. Am not saying only members of an organisation should love the other member, but then the relationship should not
 be unfriendly. In the past, few months, I observed the way we were operating and some of the human frailties, I came to the conclusion that NADD is not the right place for Ousainou Darboe. I tendered my resignation, but I declined to make it public because some members of NADD prevailed on me and said I should not make it known to public until certain things they want to do were done. But the inevitable cannot be postponed and this morning, I officially informed the IEC of my resignation from NADD.
  I have to do so in the light of the Supreme Court judgment in the case of Honourable Halifa Sallah and others and the Clerk of the National Assembly. The Court says that the signatories to the registration have ceased to be members of their political parties and are now a member of a new political party. My resignation from NADD has not shut the door for cooperation and coalition between myself and another political party. This afternoon I will be applying to the UDP to be admitted as a member because of the legal ramification of that judgment. Otherwise I will be without a political party and I don’t want to be without a party. In anticipation that my application to the UDP will be approved as a supporter of the UDP, I will be organising a rally at Brikama at which we will make it known to our grass root supporters that I have resigned from NADD. I am pleased to announce that in my resumed membership of the UDP, the National Reconciliation Party is ready to work with me, and on
 Saturday, Hamat Bah and myself will be at the rally.”

  Two NADD Supporters Convicted

  By Yaya Dampha
  Two NADD supporters, Balaye Jatta and Saikouba Danso, were on Monday 6th February, 2006, convicted by Magistrate Baldeh of the Basse Magistrate Court. According to the particulars of offence, Mr. Jatta sometime in September, 2005, indecently assaulted one woman; that when he was provocatively celebrating the NADD victory, a quarrel ensued between him and the lady which resulted in  negative exchanges between the two.
  In passing Judgment on the first accused, the presiding Magistrate indicated that after careful analysis, the court was with the opinion that the accused, while celebrating his victory, should have avoided provocative remarks; that since the matter was also not resolved out of court, the court found the accused guilty and sentenced him to a month imprisonment, which according to him, has already been served by the accused, after he had spent 12 days in Police custody and 25 days in detention, on the courts orders. So this prison term will not be served. However, he found the accused guilty on count. 2, and fined him D800.00 in default to serve 2 months in prison. Mr. Saikouba Danso, the second accused was also charged on 1 count of disorderly conduct and being armed in public (with a catapult). The accused pleaded not guilty to the charges.
  Mr. Dembo Barry, the third accused, was also charged with idleness and being armed in public (also with a catapult). The prosecution called 3 witnesses whilst the defence called four witnesses.
  In passing Judgment, the Magistrate indicated that Mr. Dembo Barry has maintained his innocence and that none of the witness’s statements have incriminated him. And so he was acquitted and discharged. However, the Magistrate said he found Saikouba Danso guilty on both counts; but that since he Mr. Danso had served a long detention term under Police custody, he fined him D500. 00 on count one, in default of which he will serve 2 months in prison. He also found him guilty on count 2 and fined him D500. 00 in default of which he will serve 4 months in Jail.
  Both accused persons paid their fines and went free.

  Confusion At Bansang SSS
  By Omar Dem
  Normal classes have been brought to a complete halt due to the teachers of the above named school embarking on what can be described as a sit down strike, which started from the 1st of February, 2006, up to last Thursday, when this reporter went to find out what went wrong.
  Our reporter interviewed some teachers, students and parents, who all gave a vivid account of the story.
  The teachers explained that a girl student came to the school with a mobile phone and was using it during classes to distract the students; that her teacher decided to seize the mobile phone from the girl. They said the girl decided to walk out of the class and reported the matter to her mother at home; that the livid mother came to the school and confronted the teacher. The two had heated argument; that during the heated exchanges, two of the sons of the lady, came out of their classes to join their mother in her heated exchange with the teacher, up to the extent of hurling insults at the said teacher; that it was at this time that the Headmaster of the school came out to intervene; that after his intervention, the Headmaster decided to suspend the girl student; that this move by the headmaster further angered the mother of the girl who decided to by-pass the Parent -Teacher Association and went straight to the Director of Schools in Janjangbureh to report the matter; that the
 Director decided to write to the Headmaster for him to retract his decision and lift the suspension of the students; that this did not go down well with the headmaster, who was steadfast in his decision, which also infuriated the Director, who decided to transfer the Headmaster and the concerned teacher to another school. This decision by the Director angered the rest of the teachers who decided to be in solidarity with their colleagues and embarked on a sit down strike.
  As a result of this move by the teachers, students of the school could be seen roaming the streets of Bansang in their numbers. This reporter talked to some of the students including the head boy, Alhagie Sisawo, and they said that they were totally disappointed with the way the authorities handled the matter. Their explanation was not different from that of the teachers. However, the students and the and  parents  sympathized the Headmaster of the school, whom they described as GOD fearing and kind hearted; that it was because of him that many students were able to get guardians within Bansang, and that he has also made significant changes in the school.
  Most of the parents expressed their dissatisfaction with the way the regional Director handled the matter; that this led them to form a delegation to meet him in Janjanbureh, where he promised to meet them at the school, on Friday, 3rd February, 2006, at 5 pm.
  On the said date of the meeting, the school grounds was packed full of concerned parents and students, including teachers, all waiting for the Regional Director to arrive. After the usual introductions, the Alkalo of the village urged the gathering to accept the decision of the Regional Director; that whatever he says will be the final decision.
  However, before the Director spoke, the P.T.A. Chairman who took the floor indicated his dismay over the way they were by-passed; that there was a disciplinary committee within the P.T.A that could have settled the matter amicably.. However, when he took over, the Director of schools indicated that he will comply with the request of the parents and will allow the headmaster to stay; but that the teachers concerned, will be transferred, that until they report to their various schools, they will not teach at the aforesaid school. However, the speakers selected by the students and parents to speak  were not given audience and the meeting ended as it began.
  However, most of the teachers were united in their resolve and in solidarity with their fellow teachers that if any teacher is moved, they will all move. Up to the time of going to press, the situation remained unchanged.
  When the Director of Schools was contacted by this reporter, he refuted the story.

  MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE ALLIANCE FOR PATRIOTIC REORIENTATION AND CONSTRUCTION (APRC) AND THE NATIONAL ALLIANCE FOR DEMOCRACY AND DEVELOPMENT (NDD) AND OTHER POLITICAL P ARTIES IN THE GAMBIA.

  Recognising, that a peaceful and stable political environment, underpinned by a transparent, plural and democratic political dispensation, is vital for The Gambia’s future prosperity and for the happiness and well-being of its people;
  Recognising too the legitimacy of the present government and its right to govern within the Constitution and the laws of the land on the one hand; and the rights of the political opposition to operate freely and’ to hold the government to account on the other hand;
  Conscious of the dignity and respect that pertains to the office of the President of the Republic, as Head of State, as well as the role of the political opposition as important partners in national construction and development;
  Aware that dialogue and co-operation between political parties and’ a constructive national conversation with the Gambian people represent key cornerstones in the consolidation of democracy in The Gambia.
  We, the leaders of the Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC), being the governing party in The Gambia, -and the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) and other political parties, registered by the Independent Electoral Commission for the purpose of contesting election do hereby agree to put the past behind us, and in the higher interest of The Gambia, to work constructively towards national reconciliation and the consolidation of democracy, respect for human rights, the rule of law and good governance in The Gambia.            .
  We further agree in this context - to work positively and co-operatively towards the holding of transparent and credible elections for the presidency in 2006, in which the will of the people will be reflected and accepted by all the contesting political parties and the people of The Gambia.
   To these ends we agree to the following Code of Conduct, alongside that of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), to guide our activities in general and our conduct in the lead up to the 2006 Presidential elections in particular.

  CODE OF CONDUCT

  1. Compliance with the Law
  A party that has subscribed to this Code will adhere to the Constitution and the existing laws of The Gambia, including the electoral laws, rules and regulations.

  2. The Conduct of Political Activities
  A party that has subscribed to this Code will:

  I. respect the right of all other parties to campaign freely and to disseminate their political ideas and principles without fear;

  II. respect freedom of speech, of the press, of assembly and of peaceful demonstration; pursuant to a permit being obtained;

  III. refrain from disrupting or frustrating the legitimate activities of other political parties, including the holding of Political rallies, meetings,

  IV. marches or demonstrations; and

  V. refrain from defacing or destroying the posters, leaflets and handbills of other political parties and their candidates;

  3. Language
  A party that has subscribed to this code will:

  I. organise and conduct its activities at all times in a manner that contributes towards a congenial and peaceful atmosphere.

  II. avoid using inflammatory or defamatory language; and

  III. not in any way threaten or incite violence in any form against any person or groups of persons.

  IV. A party that subscribes to this Code will not issue, either officially or anonymously, pamphlets, newsletters or posters containing language or material that threatens or incites violence.

  4. Violence and Intimidation
  A party that subscribes to this Code accepts that intimidation in any form is unacceptable, and will:

  I. issue directives expressly forbidding its officials, candidates, members and supporters from intimidating any person at anytime;

  II. campaign against violence, and against all acts of vandalism or public disorder committed or threatened by their officials, candidates, members or supporters; and

  III. respect other competing parties, persons and their properties.

  5. Separation of Powers
  A party to this MOU shall:

  I. Respect the full separation of powers as detailed in the constitution.

  II. Not seek in any way to unduly influence or use other arms of government for political purposes;

  III. Will refrain from using Civil Servants and public funds for campaign purposes.

  6. Acceptance of the Outcome of Transparent and Credible Elections
  i. accept the outcome of an election that has been certified by the competent authority or submit any grievance only to the competent dispute settlement agency provided by law; and

  ii. accept and comply with the decisions of the competent dispute settlement agency.

  7. Dialogue and Co-operation
  A party that has subscribed to this Code will:

  I. make every effort to maintain communications with other political parties and with the Independent Electoral Commission;

  II. participate constructively in the inter-party Committee (see Item 9 below) established as a forum for dialogue and co-operation between political parties and to promote adherence to this Code.

  8. Compliance with the Code of Conduct

  A party that has subscribed to this Code:

  I. is bound by the Code;

  II. will take steps to prohibit leaders, officials, candidates, members and supporters from infringing the Code;

  III. will take necessary steps to promote and ensure adherence to the Code; and

  IV. will not abuse the right to complain about violation of the Code, or make false, frivolous or vexatious complaints

  9. Inter-Party Committee
  I. we agree to establish an Inter-Party Committee, comprising representatives of political parties, as a forum for dialogue and cooperation and to promote adherence to this Code and national reconciliation in general.

  II. we agree that the Inter-Party Committee shall comprise two representatives from each party that are signatory to this agreement.

  III. the Inter-Party Committee shall meet once a week during the official election campaign (as declared by IEC) and once a month at other times. It could be convened at other times by the co-chairpersons.

  IV. We agree to work constructively with the IEC in monitoring and encouraging compliance with the Code.   .

  V. We further agree that the Commonwealth, as represented by the Special Envoy of the Commonwealth Secretary-General, General Abdulsalami A. Abubakar, serve as the moral guarantor of this agreement. Mr. Yankuba Touray National Mobiliser of the APRC and Mr. Halifa Sallah, Co-coordinator of the NADD will initially co-chair the Inter-Party Committee.

  10. Prevailing Code

  If the provision of the Code Conduct of the Independent Electoral Commission (I.E.C) and the Commonwealth Code of Conduct comes in to conflict, the provision of the Code of Conduct of the Independent Electoral Commission will prevail.

  Done in Banjul this 6th Day of February, 2006.

  SIGNED:

  HON. YANKUBA TOURAY
  For Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC)

  Halifa Sillah
  For National for Democracy and Development (NADD)

  Henry Gomez
  For the Gambian Party for Democracy and Progress (GPD)

  Sheriff M. Dibba
  For the National Convention party (NCP)

  For the Independent Electoral      Commission

  For the Commonwealth

  TRIBUTE TO COMRADE SILLAH
  A RENOWNED ARTIST
  Who was Ebou Madi Sillah commonly called Comrade and fondly referred to by his dear wife Mrs. Jor Bah Sillah and family as Papa E?
  Ebou was borned to Papa Madi Sillah and Ya Sohna Gaye of blessed memory. His date of birth was 19 April, 1946. Ebou’s age was 59 years. Ebou was married with five children, two boys and three girls.
  Death is a thief that no one can catch and be alive. Everything that be must also have an end. But to die serving your people is a worthy death. Heroes do not die they live in our heart. People of all classes, gender and status came in their multitude to pay tribute to an unsung hero. His spirit moving but his body laid still. What was in their voice? He was great but yet so humble. He lived by the sweat of his brow. He cheated nobody but benefited society. He was a library. I learnt world history from him. He inspired my progressive thinking. He was my mentor. He made be a rights fighter. He inspired me to move mountains. He had faith in me. He was proud of me. Through him I met my beloved husband Samuel Osseh Sarr. From England after his studies, Sam was advised to meet and discuss with Comrade Sillah. Through those visits my husband courted me. We compared notes. We were compatible. Then the matrimonial knot was tied and we became husband and wife.
  Comrade hated oppression, exploitation and subjugation. He sided with the oppressed, the wretched of the earth. He had hope for the future. He had hope for The Gambia, hope for Africa and hope for the World. He was an inspirer and an orator. He was charismatic. He was strong willed. He knew his ailment was terminal and death inevitable. He refused to alarm us. He calmed us to believe he will get well and he gave us hope. He bravely fought his illness. I spoke to him on Sunday 5th February. Comrade was full of hope but he confessed to me. “Sister! Am feeling deep chest pain. It is horrible the sharp pain I felt these past days. I’ll go to the hospital and get admitted to be closed to my doctor before I travel on Monday.” I gave him courage. “It will be okay brother! You’ll be okay!” I tried to be cheerful but his commentary made me felt a bit insecure for the first time I felt my dear brother was leaving me but I still have hope. Ebou Sillah taught himself before he entered
 University. He was a genius, a rare species in Gambia, Africa and the world.
  He could have stayed in Europe and made his billions. But comrade is contented. He made money in Gambia but spent it on his immediate family and poor friends. He loved debates and learning. Ebou Sillah was a philosopher vase in world history, World Religions. He read the works of the great philosophers in history especially the works of Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, the struggles of the world’s oppressed peoples. He gave me the Granma a Cuban newsletter early in the 70s. Ebou was from a family of seven males and six females. The first mother Ya Sohna Gaye gave birth to four boys and three girls. The second mother Ya Sasum Cham gave birth to three boys and three girls fathered by Pa Madi Sillah.
  Ebou dotted on his five children and wife. He spent fortunes on them to give them happiness and a future.
  I could recalled my mother telling me that Ebou at a tender age of four years used  to take charcoal and drew Cow boys and Indians fighting, in the street corners of Banjul. Adults and children alike would gather around his drawings and admired them in amazement. My mum as a concerned superstitious mother would cane him and asked him to desist from such exposure. “You would be ruined my boy. I am afraid of ‘Gaymange’ we are ‘Jafoon’ (a category of people in Wollof mythology who can be destroyed when people make direct praise of their works). Ebou’s drawings were commented on and admired at that tender age. A great philosopher and artist was in the making.
  During later interviews he criticized my mum for halting his artistic skills by such actions. “My mum suppressed my artistic skills. I would have been a super genius had my environment been conducive.” Ebou later told interviewers. Parents! Take heed! Let’s encourage our young to excel in whatever endeavour of interest they undertake.
  Resume
  A 59 year old Gambian male married with five children. (2 males and 3 females). Holder of a Bachelor of Education. He spoke French and English. Having undergone his higher education in Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar, Senegal from 1975 to 1979. he has since been engaged in Teacher Training in several Art  and Related activities in and out of The Gambia. During this time he has trained varying categories of cadres in Art, both at the secondary and the Tertiary levels. He has undertaken several consultancies in similar areas which included central Government, Private Institutions, the West African Examinations Council, among others. He had developed training materials and kits for use by training institutions, Development agencies and Ngos. He was nominated for the Nobel peace prize in 1983 for Co-Authorship of the Book “Pater Nostra.” He was retired from active public service and was fully engaged in his consultancy firm “Jorr Enterprise,” The winning New Look in West African
 fine Arts Circle.
  Education
  Ebou attended Leman Street Infant School from 1951 to 1954; Mohammedan Primary School from 1954 to 1958;
  St. Augustine High School from 1958 to 1959;
  Crab Island Secondary Modern School from 1959 to 1963;
  Des (Maitrise) Master of fine Arts National Institute of fine Arts, Dakar, Senegal from 1974 to 1979;
  Department of Education, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada – Bachelor of Education 1993.
  Professional Experience
  2005- Designed and Construction of the “National Unity” Monument at the Stink Corner (Banjul – Serrekunda Highway).
  Comment: Comrade you have foresight your dream is coming true. You departed planet Earth on the early hours of 4th February 2006; The Jammeh Administration has signed the M.O.U today 6th February 2006 which is designed to foster National Unity between APRC, the ruling party and The NADD coalition to ensure Gambia engaged in ‘Jaw-Jaw’ and never entertain ‘War-War’ in its body politics. History has absolved you, rest in perfect peace till we meet again;
  -         Designed and Construction of “Gender Equality” Monument at the Atlantic Road, old Cape Road junction.
  -         Commentary: You believed in the concept you lived a life of sharing and Equity with your dear wife Jorr and your children. You worked for them and gave them the best.
  -         Designed and construction of the “Nation At Work” Monument at the Brufut Heights/Coastal Road Junction;
  2004 – Designed And Constructed The Gunboat at the Albreda Waterfront to showcase    the “Freedom Flag Post”
  -         Designed and Constructed “The Never Again Monument” At the Albreda Waterfront.
  2002 – Designed and Constructed The “Roots Heritage Trail” at Albreda to commemorate the seventh Edition of the Roots Homecoming Festival.
  -         Designed and constructed a “Traditional village Homestead” in period style to place the Kunta Kinteh Saga in a Historical context;
  2001 – Designed The Gamtel Logo;
  -         Designed Posters and Booklets for Gambia family Planning (GFPA) including those of “Pa Kubay Jaara” And the Award Winning “Pregnant Man” Poster.
  2000 – Designed and illustrated a training manual for small and Micro-Entrepreneur Grassroot Management Training Programme for the UNDP;
  - Designed the (TAF) Construction Logo;
  - Designed and illustrated The training Manual for The Fight Against Social Exclusion (FACE) for CBOs Grassroots Management Training Programme (UNDP);
  - Designed a set of poster for The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC);
  - Designed The Emblem of National Intelligence Agency (NIA);
  - Designed the logo for The President Yaya Jammeh foundation for Peace;
  - Adapted and Sculpted the logo of the (NAYCONF) into The “Millennium Youth Monument” At West Field Junction;
  1999– Designed the logo for the National Youth Conference and Festival for the Ministry of Youths and sports in collaboration with the Kanifing Municipal Council (K.M.C)
  - Designed and illustrated in pictorial form, the Articles of the Human Rights Charter for the African Centre for Democracy And Human Rights (ACDHRS).
  1997 – Designed and illustrated a promotional Booklet for Social Research and Development Agency (SORDA);
  - Member of the Task Force to Re organize the National council for Arts And Culture Commissioned by the SOS for Tourism and Culture, The Gambia;
  - Inaugurated the second Roots Homecoming Art Exhibition of Gambian Artists held at the Alliance Franco. Gambienne. Complex.
  - Designed the cover for the UNDP Magazine “JOKKOR.”
  1996 – Designed a set of posters And Booklets for The provisional Independent Electoral Commission (PIEC) for The National Assembly and Presidentials Elections.
  - Designed a set of civil Education posters for The African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS)
  - Designed a Booklet and Training Manual for “Action Aid,” The Gambia
  1995 – Conducted a week-long training course for the UNESCO Art Club for the National Commission for UNESCO (NATCOM) and the Ministry of Education;
  - Designed an illustrated Booklet on The Guide To condom use for The Health Education Unit, Ministry of Health;
  - Designed Training Manuals and Posters on Maternal and Child Health (MCH) in collaboration with the Canadian University overseas (CUSO), and The Gambia Government.
  - Vice Chairperson of the National Committee for the Roots Homecoming Festival, Organized by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture.
  - Designed The Roots Homecoming Festival Logo for The Ministry of Tourism And Culture;
  1994 – Won the logo competition for the Public Works and Capacity Building Agency (Gam Works) organized by the World Bank and the Ministry of Works and Communications;
  1993 – Elected President of The Gambia Association of Visual And Plastic Artists (GAVPA)
  1992 – Designed the cartoon character called “Dr. Owl” for The Daily Observer Newspaper;
  1991 – Resource person for The Conference on Poverty Alleviation And Child Abuse, Organized by UNFPA and The Gambia Government.
  - Designed The Training Manual for The operation And Maintenance of a New Rice Milling Machine for the Ministry of Agriculture.
  1990 – Nominated A member of The Museum, Monuments and Antiquities Committee of The National Council for Arts And Culture.
  1989 – Designed a Set of (IEC) materials on Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) for the physically challenged on behalf of the Gambia Red Cross Society and Norwegian Red Cross (NORCROSS)
  - Resource person to the IEC Workshop in Sub-Saharan Africa organize by the Centre for the African Family Studies (CAF) Based in Kenya, in collaboration with Gambia Family Planning Association (GFPA).
  1988 – Member of the Task force to draft the National Culture Policy for The Gambia organized by the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Culture
  - Resource person to the Intellectual Property, Patent and Copy Rights Conference in Sub-Saharan Africa, organized by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in collaboration with Attorney General Chambers, Ministry of Justice.
  1987 – Designed the logo for the Gambia Olympic and Sports Committee (GOSC)
  - Re- Designed the logo for The Gambia Family Planning Association.
  1986 – Resource person at the first print Materials Workshop in Sub-Saharan Africa organized jointly by the UNFPA, PIACT, PATH, and the Gambia Family Planning Association.
  1985 – Designed a set of Calendars for The Gambia Cooperative union, and the Social Security and Housing Finance Corporation (SSHFC)
  1983 – Sculpted a life – size Elephant for the Atlantic Hotel.
  - Member of the National Curriculum Review Panel for- Primary and Junior Secondary Schools for the Ministry of Education.
  - Designed the Crest and coined the Logo and Motto of the Gambia College
  - Designed the Certificate for all the Disciplines and Courses offered at the Gambia College.
  - Designed a set of Print materials for the 3rd Conference of The African Groundnut Council hosted by The Gambia Produce Marketing Board (GPMB) and funded by the EC (European Commission)
  - Nominated for the Nobel Peace prize in Oslo Norway
  1980 – Participated in a World wide Art Competition to illustrate the Lord’s Prayer “Pater Nastra” of which his work was selected by the Avenira and Parat foundations in Lucern, Switzerland and Vienna, Austria respectively.
  1979 – Organized the first Sene-Gambia Art Exhibition involving Senegalese and Gambia Artists at the National Library, Banjul.
  1978 – Designed a set of Drawings to illustrate the orthography of three ethnic Languages for the Curriculum Development Centre (CLAD) of the University of Dakar, Senegal.
  1977 – Designed a set of Postage stamps for the Gambia Government to commemorate the 2nd All- Black And African Festival of Arts and Culture (FESTAC) held in Lagos, Nigeria.
  1976 – Won the first prize in the Group show for the inaugural opening of the Blaise Senghor Culture Centre; Dakar,
  1976 – Won first prize in All the National Youth Week Festivals for five consecutive years.
  1969 – Designed the logo for the Gambia Family Planning Association.
  1964 – Commended for works submitted to the Commonwealth Children Arts Exhibition held in London, United Kingdom.
  The information is accurate and detailed. It was written by the Deceased before he died. Comrade’s papers were completed. He was to be flown to the U.K on 6th February 2006. He died at the early morning hours of Sunday, 4th February 2006. 3 am to be precise. The lost of Comrade Sillah is a great loss not only to the Sillah Kunda Family, The Gambia, and Africa but the Whole World. His kinds are rare Jewels only found once in a blue moon.
  We will mourn him until we meet again. Comrade cannot die his works are all around for everyone to see and to remember him forever. He had selflessly worked for his nation, Africa and the World. Comrade is a role model to be emulated by us and generations yet unborn. He was loved and respected by many. The multitude of mourners from all classes, religion, gender, and race had attested to this fact.
  Foroyaa will interview his friends, admirers, close relatives, associates and students in series to honour and appreciate the great works of our hero. He had joined the ranks of Cabral, Neto, Lumumba, Nkrumah, Pa Small, Titina, and Josina to name but a few. Rest in peace! Rest in perfect peace! You will forever live in our hearts and minds.
  Sister Amie Sillah.

  FIRE KILLS TWO CHILDREN

  By Musa Barrow
  Tragic and catastrophic are the least one could use to describe the aftermath of a fatal fire incident that resulted in the death of two children as well as the destruction of prosperities worth thousands of dalasis. The incident happened in a compound belonging to one Adama Jagana of Manjai Kunda Darusalam and the fire was reported to have swept through the building, during early morning hours of Monday, 6th February 2006. Apparently the fire started in an apartment sheltering one young lady, Fatou Kanteh and her only two children. All eye witness said that it started as a result of a candle, burning a table, which later transferred the blaze to other items in the house. He went on to say that when the fire broke out, Fatou Kanteh was completely overwhelmed by the power of the raging fire. She continued: “Instead of coming out with her two children from the house, she ran outside shouting and calling for help. Before any one could arrive, a gas cooker and a generator which were
 stationed in the apartment all caught fire and that was how the tragic death of Mrs. Fatou Kanteh’s two children, Ba Sakou Kinteh, aged 1 year four months, and Baby Awa Kinteh, aged four years, was brought about.”
  According to another eye witness account, the two children were burnt beyond recognition and left in one of the most horrific state a human eye can ever see. He added that from the apartment where the fire started, two other nearby apartments were also reduced to ashes by the rampaging blaze.” Attempts to speak to Mrs. Fatou Kanteh, the mother of the two burnt children, proved futile. As the young mother comes to terms with the sudden and tragic death of her only two children, her only resort for the moment seams to be tears.