GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Banding Samura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:01:58 -0800

Where the hell does this Fye Samateh come from? The
moon. The fact that modern scientific and religious
opinion considers the practise of female circumcision
harmful, does not warrant the likes of you to speak of
those who practise it as brutal, barbaric, and
anathema to African culture.
Either you are not Gambian or you have somehow
overstayed your welcome in Oslo, for otherwise, you
would know that from time immemorial, female
circumcision was supposed to have a function in the
societies that practise it, and they do so,
accompanied with great ceremony and jubilation. If we
are now in aggrement that the practise is more harmful
than beneficial to those societies, it is our duty to
convince the greater majority accordingly, rather than
utter the sort of arrogant and intemperate language
that you have written above.
I hope you will appologise to your own people if you
are Gambian.