GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essau Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:38:49 -0400
Freedom Newspaper: Can you briefly describe your journalistic life?

Alhagie Mbye: To be honest with you, my life as a journalist in The Gambia
was exciting. I love every bit and piece of it. Even though friends and
family members were concerned about my safety and well being, I was still
pushing the pen. I think I was motivated by my sincerity and honesty and had
the conviction that what I was doing is right and many had appreciated my
efforts.

Freedom Newspaper: As a former Independent Newspaper Senior Staff Reporter,
and London-based West Africa Magazine Banjul Correspondent, what was life
like in those days?

Alhagie Mbye: Yes I was the most senior reporter at the Independent
Newspaper since my friend and colleague N.B Daffeh left for England. He
created a vacuum and I missed him a great deal but he told me his decision
to leave was equally important. He is magnificent and outstanding lad. I was
happy that editors appreciated my work and some of them confessed that they
cannot believe my determination and strength of mind to do all those
interesting and valuable contribution to the paper. I can fully remember
when Editor-in-Chief Baba Galleh Jallow told me in the computer room in the
presence of staff that my stories have make a difference and that sometimes
he had a enough reserved quality lead stories coming from me. He really made
me proud of my self. My Editor in London was equally happy and grateful with
my performance and as a matter of fact he is still in touch with me. I hate
to sit inside the office waiting for information; instead I usually tour the
country to search for the best stories. Looking for such stories I spent in
night with strangers in Kiang, Badibou, URD and other places. I spoke to
people from all walks of life ranging from farmers to fishermen to express
their concern, apprehension and appreciation. As much as many of them
criticized the Gambia Government many had unbelievably support for President
Jammeh and his administration. As a journalist it was my duty to report this
information fairly and accurately.
Freedom Newspaper: Why should the NIA arrest you all the time?
Alhagie Mbye: That's the Multi-million Dollar question. May be you should
ask them. The NIA acting from orders believed that it is the agency's birth
right to pound on me like vultures at any time regardless. In my opinion
they were merely scared of information provided to the general public which
was why they accused me with undermining State security etc. They knew very
well that such allegations are sheer fallacy. I had loads of encounters with
the NIA through unlawfully detention or incarceration in their dungeons
sometimes for days without any regards to my basic human rights.
Freedom Newspaper: How were you treated during your past arrest by the NIA?
Alhagie Mbye: I was never treated well by the NIA. Never! Instead they tried
to break my resolve and determination which was impossible. One of such
arrest, was on a peaceful Friday evening, I was just about to break my fast
during the month of Ramadan. It was a good timing for the officers. NIA
personnel Demba Ceesay and Babou Njie who are no strangers to me, including
another tall slim officer whom I never met apparently kidnapped me and drove
me around Kerr sering village before they suddenly stopped and talked among
themselves for a while. Later they speeded to the NIA Headquarters in Banjul.
As usual I was dumped in a dungeon full with mosquitoes and other dangerous
insects. I spent another two days in cell without eating. I never thought I
can stay alive for so long without food. Finally the third day they brought
me the worst dish I ever had in my life and I was asked to eat with some
other prisoners. However having said that I never contemplated the NIA was
capable to torture me. I used to be very cautious with allegation of torture
because it is a very serious one. Sadly I was brutally tortured during my
last arrest with electric appliance attached to a high voltage machine that
was inserted on my ears and private parts. While I was screaming, officers
stood by enjoying the barbarity and laughing among themselves. The brutality
of Demba Cessay, Babou Njie and Wassa Gassama who introduced himself as Mr.
Killer is unspeakable. Gassama or Killer even told me during my torture
session that he had disguised as a journalist during the Guinea Bissau civil
war and had killed civilians. I could never believe in my life that Gambians
are capable of mistreating any human being as such and since then the myth
that foreign men were hired by the administration to torture never in my
vocabulary. I don't know Gassama very well but Ceesay and Njie used to be
normal photographers wandering around town looking for petty contract during
local ceremonies. In fact Njie worked at Saffideen photo lab in Serekunda
around Bambo and had some experience in electrical work because he was also
working opposite Saffideen at a metal workshop. His experience in wire and
cable now take pleasure at the NIA by inserting wire attached to heavy
electric to maim and injure innocent people forever. Senior officer such as
former NIA Director Abdoulie Kujabi (now in prison), Captain Saine (the
blind officer), Salimina Drammeh now involved in the current diamond saga
involving the German nationals and Captain Bojang's role in my torture
cannot be under-reported. They openly gave orders for my incarceration. I
must confessed that due to such appalling experience, I am now involved in
some human right projects.

Freedom Newspaper: During the 2000 Presidential Elections, you filed a piece
to the West African Magazine in which you reported that the polls were
fraudulent. Some Casamance citizens were allowed to vote. Can you elaborate
more on this story?

Alhagie Mbye: I gathered the information from my best trusted sources about
the fraudulent polls. As a matter of fact, while I was still investigating
the story, opposition members who attended a special conference at the
Kairaba Beach Hotel with local and international journalists and
international observers from Commonwealth member countries and others places
also complained about such problems. I could remember a Gambian voter's card
owned by a foreign national was tendered as evidence. However I treated such
allegation with impartiality and during voting time, two of my sources who
happened to be from Cassamance working in the country but holding Gambian
voter cards took me to locations where such cards were issued on a massive
scale. It took place in Tallinding, Tabokoto and Bakau. I interviewed some
of them and went ahead with the story and hoped it would help all
stakeholders to rectify the situation. The stakeholders appealed to the
Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) who later agreed that anyone whose
name failed to appear in the original register would not allow to vote. To
my utmost surprise less than forty-eight hours prior to Election Day, the
IEC announced it had received instructions to reverse that decision. I could
remember the opposition protested but it was too late. I reported the story
not only to the Independent Newspaper but also to the West Africa Magazine
in London. The article was not digested in good faith by the authorities and
the mighty NIA acted again and arrested me.

Freedom Newspaper: Has the opposition ever sought to use you to sell their
agenda to the international media, as believe in some quarters?

Alhagie Mbye: The last thing to do in my life is to allow anyone to use me
for his personal interest. My journalistic Code of Conduct can never be
compromised. The most dangerous thing for a journalist to do is to be used
by other people because if you allow it to happen you will end up in ruins
forever. Reporting opposition rallies, meetings and press conferences that
rarely covered by the National Media paid for by the tax-payers don't
necessary mean that I was sympathetic to their cause. I respect divergent
views and opinions no matter who utters them. Equally I reported loads of
stories about President Jammeh and the APRC. I do so to the extent of
attending the same prayer with the President at a Bundung Mosque to report
what he had to say. If you have a good memory Pa Nderry you could recalled
when I was with you reporting in a Banjul court when a rich Chinese business
man in a legal wrangling with his partners later offered me a large sum of
money. I was following the case for months and as a poor reporter I flatly
refused his offer. You even hailed me for that. Money is sweet but to me
pride is the utmost. You may also recalled when Baba Jobe invited me to his
place for a 'hand-sake'. I again refused his generous offer. The NIA offered
me a job while in detention but I emphatically refused. So only a barmy
person will associate me with siding anyone of selfish purposes. Therefore
my association with any politician or political must be based on
professional reasons. In the end of the day journalist need contacts and the
best sources are the embedded ones.

Freedom Newspaper: How about Lawyer Darboe? Is he your friend, as Fatou
Jahumpa Ceesay (current Speaker) used to allege. I remember FJC branding Pa
Nderry M'Bai and Alhagie Mbye as opposition journalists during our days at
the Daily Observer. How would you react to such accusations?

Alhagie Mbye: It was shocking and scandalous allegation but never mind
because I never responded to that outrageous allegation. To be honest with
you I have very high regards for Fatou's family. Her late father may his
soul rest in peace used to be very kind to me when I was a boy. I usually
visited him for lessons including History, government and Geography even
though he was still lying in bed very weak and unwell. I was the best
history and government student in class by then. He always told his wife at
his Banjul residence that I was always invited despite the fact that not
many people were allowed to see him during that period of his life. I still
appreciate that. Fatou Jahumpha had contributed a great deal in persuading
NIA Director Kujabi to 'teach me a good lesson' and had made phone calls to
the NIA asking how much pain I was treated. All the same but always remember
that what goes around comes around.

Freedom Newspaper: What can you tell us about the Baba Jobe's Blood Diamond
and Armed Trafficking story that led to your arrest by the NIA? What
actually happened?
 Alhagie Mbye:The Blood Diamond story was a serious and revealing
allegation. The threat by the United Nations to investigate the Blood
Diamond and Gun-Trafficking which Baba Jobe was accused to have involved
with was an important story as far as I was concerned. During my
investigation, a prominent member of the July 22 Movement member called
Fa-Bakary Kolior Camara rang me many times and requested me to interview him
regarding the matter. Finally we met and he revealed that arms and money
were supplied to them during training. Mr. Camara said he was prepared to
testify against Baba Jobe and gave evidence to any international court
regarding the matter. I contacted the government side for reaction including
the defending of Baba Jobe by a government press statement and another press
conference organized by the Foreign Affairs Minister Dr. Sedat Jobe who
categorically denied Jobe's involvement in the matter. So what was the real
meaning of arresting me?

 Freedom Newspaper: What happened when Fabakary Kolior Camara was also
invited by the NIA to shed light on the interview you had with him?

Alhagie Mbye: Camara was never invited at the NIA. In fact he was arrested
for three days. The NIA officers threatened him to retract his statement. I
found him looking very worried and extremely nervous at the NIA office. He
was crying explaining to officers that his mother in Jarra was confused
about his whereabouts and needed to be released. NIA officers Tijan Bah who
was until recently working at the Gambian Embassy in London and Demba Ceesay
used confrontational method between a journalist and a source. The whole
episode was video recorded through out and the two men threatened to put me
behind bars until when they were convinced that I had in possession the
evidence of my interview with Camara. One of the NIA Directors happened to
come out from his office was honest enough to tell his junior officers to
stop the recording and let me leave. Camara who was still wearing a UDP
shirt absurdly told officers that he was supporter of President Jammeh and
was prepared to be paraded National Television to pledge his allegiance to
the APRC. He was in true agony. However after the senior officer's
intervention, i left the NIA a 'free' man. When he was released, Camara rang
me again and had apologized for what he told the NIA officers.

Freedom Newspaper: In your view, what most have prompted Fabakary Kolior
Camara to deny the claims attributed to him? Was he threatened by the NIA?

Alhagie Mbye: Off course he was speaking under complete duress and coercion.
As I said earlier he was still crying for his mum and taken into
consideration that these NIA men are capable and proficient of what they do,
i cannot rule out anything including torture. NIA officer Tijan Bah told me
Camara was not tortured but I cannot believe him simply because he was the
same person Tijan Bah who told me that former Student Union leader Nyabally
was never tortured while under NIA custody contrary to what actually
happened. However during my detention at the NIA, I saw evidence that Tijan
Bah was one of the most brutal and vile officers at the Agency.

Freedom Newspaper: Has Baba Jobe met you at the NIA during the interrogation
session?

Alhagie Mbye: Frankly speaking Baba Jobe never met me at the NIA. Remember
that he was a very strong man in government and his instruction is enough to
help him get whatever he wants. Beside anything the man has been very
generous to many other people and as a result gains lots of admirers and
supporters with vast influence.

Freedom Newspaper: The same Baba Jobe was indicted by the United Nations for
armed trafficking and the sale of "Blood Diamonds." In your view, has the
government of the Gambia created the "Baba Jobe factor" to harass and bully
opponents? Were you surprised when the government disowned Jobe one fine
morning?

Alhagie Mbye: Yes the poor man was indicted. Later he ended up in the
horrible Mile Two prison after he fell out with President Jammeh. Funnily it
was the same government who publicly announced and wrote letters to the
United Nations protesting that the man was innocent. Many had argued that he
is a scapegoat and his family and supporters are very angry about what is
happening to him. He really deserves an appeal. Also was Baba Jobe used and
dumped is another matter.

Freedom Newspaper: What is your most favorite story you authored since you
started journalism?

 Alhagie Mbye: It was when I wrote an article convincing and persuading the
World Health Organization (WHO) to help provided meningitis vaccine to a
million Gambia children. I was told by heath official at the Department of
Health that each vaccine at that time cost One Dollar and it was hard or
rather impossible for the Department to conduct any vaccination without
outside assistance. The lives of thousands of Gambian children were at
stake. My appeal  was considered. Another story was when I reported the
toxic waste that was dumped at the Banjul waters when large amounts of money
reportedly exchanged hands between unscrupulous government officers. I
believe it was a very unpatriotic move and I even end up disguising as a
staff of the port and took pictures and recording information from files
regarding the deal. It later became a bone of contention at the National
Assembly. The Prison Hunger Strike was also another favorite story. The
story entitled 'Hunger Strike Reported at Mile Two' was very disgusting and
repulsive. I learned about the situation of those inmates some of them
imprisoned for more than ten years without trial. I took names of the men
from my source and was assisted by another source to enter the prison in
order to confirm the story. Unfortunately after publication, I end-up been
arrested with Editor in-Chief Baba Galleh Jallow. The former Interior
Minister Ousman Badjie was very furious about the article and had influenced
such arrest. A guarantee of D50, 000 was offered to grant us a bail and I
remember Baba Galleh telling officers to leave us alone and go after
criminals.

Freedom Newspaper: What inspired you to take up journalism as your
profession?

Alhagie Mbye: During my school day I used to love debates and writing. I
write a lot and was good in memorizing. I could memorize anything even a
full book. I also admired journalist especially when i saw then report in
newspapers, magazines or on television. I love smart people and journalists
are and hate oppression and bulling in all forms and journalists are very
instrumental in combating such evils in our society. I was in high spirits
when a British student told me in London that I personally inspired her to
do journalism while she was in the living in the Gambia with her parents.

Freedom Newspaper: What have you learned during your previous arrests by the
NIA?

Alhagie Mbye: I was able to know from first hand experience what the NIA is
capable of doing. It also helps in my resolve and determination that no
power in this world will live forever. But let us equally remember that evil
cannot be defeated with evil. It is only righteousness that could defeat
devil. Journalist must be sincere and not hypocritical. The Journalistic
Code of Conduct be guided at all times despites anything. Our emotional must
not be reflected in our writing. We must give credit where it is due.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you remember the names of the NIA officers who
arrested and tortured you? If yes, please release their names.

Alhagie Mbye: Yes I have just named few of them. However it is not the end.
Names must be mentioned because it is very essential. Currently I am working
on a project and that such names must be exposed for the whole world to see.
This is not a revenge but instead a means of trying to stop human right
violation in Africa and by sharing my experience with other people.

Freedom Newspaper:What can you tell us about your encounter with Colonel
Peter Singhateh? What actually went wrong?

 Alhagie Mbye: Singahteh met me at the British High Commission in Fajara
where I was invited at a colorful reception by the then British High
Commissioner and his Assistant. A Gambian military officer was traveling to
England for military training with the support the High Commission. Few days
ago, I wrote about an alleged coup plot and contacted the former Army Public
Relations Officer Bunja Darbo (now in prison implicated in the latest coup
attempt) for the Army's version. The story was published. So when Peter
found me talking with Embassy officials, he started grumbling and soon a
quarrel erupted. I think he was out to intimidate me and the Independent
Newspaper by uttering serious allegations. I told him loud and clear that I
have nothing to fear as far as I was reporting the truth. I also informed
him clearly that I am a Gambian , and my parents are Gambians and my grand
parents are Gambians therefore it will be ridiculous for him to try to scare
me in any form. After the ceremony, he had kindly offered me a lift in his
car but I declined. The confrontation was reported in the following
Independent edition. While Demba Jawo was still Editor in Chief at the
Independent, Peter Singateh rang the office to extent his apology to me but
we never spoke. However I must note that I was very worried to see him
frequently inside his jeep parking in the dark few meters away from my
house.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you feel intimidated when Peter confronted you in the
presence of diplomats at the British High Commissioner's residence?

Alhagie Mbye: No I was not intimidated which is why I responded that way. I
believe that God is the creator of mankind.

Freedom Newspaper: You once reported about a coup story, which resulted to
your arrest. What was wrong with the said story? Or was it harassment by the
NIA?

Alhagie Mbye: I reported these coup stories so it was the duty of a
responsible government to conduct an investigation and not by merely
arresting me. What have the NIA gained by arresting me for that?

Freedom Newspaper: Do you miss the Gambia and her people?

Alhagie Mbye: I missed the investigative journalism. I missed the pat on the
back and the slap on the shoulder from my admirers. The smiling faces of
hard-working, intelligent and highly discipline people from all walks of
life. I missed the farmers in Kiang and Badibou, the fishermen in Tanji and
Brufut and those brilliant interviews from politicians, business people and
men on the street etc.

Freedom Newspaper: How was your relationship with journalist Deyda Hydara?

 Alhagie Mbye: Late Hydara may his soul rest in peace was not only mentor
but an uncle. He was a very honest man and an independent think. He always
sat there in his office with the door wide open for everyone. He was a very
down to earth man who smiles for everybody. He loves people unconditionally
which is very important in life. It took me months after his untimely death
to erase his mobile phone number on my phone. I couldn't believe such an
important man was gone just like that.

Freedom Newspaper: What was your first reaction when you learnt about his
murder?

Alhagie Mbye: I said to my self that it was the wrong person because an
innocent lovely patriotic man like Hydara cannot be murdered by any sensible
person. The perpetrators must be brought to justice or else we will never be
forgiven by God. Deyda was an asset to Gambia and Africa and I am still
wondering how people could be so wicked in life. Even if one is reluctant to
belief in judgment day, he should value other people's life. Deyda soul will
rest in peace because he was a very clean human being.

Freedom Newspaper: Now let revisit your days at the Daily Observer. When
Amadou Samba bought the Observer what happened? Do you encounter any
problems with the new management?

Alhagie Mbye: When things changed at the Observer I stayed for a while to
study the situation and to add to my experience because history was in the
making. However in the end of the day Mr. Samba is the owner of the Observer
and no one has a right to deny that. So you either accept what he want or
quit. He is a businessman and is guiding his business interest and in my
opinion people must respect that. Period.

Freedom Newspaper: Who is journalist Ngang Thomas? Has he ever tried to
censor your pieces?

 Alhagie Mbye: Uncle Nyang is a very interesting man. I like him a lot. I
called him uncle because his son in Banjul was my good friend. I used to
read his newspaper when I was a school boy. My favorites section of his
pages was 'the Bee'. I had the same respect for him until when he was
appointed editor at the Observer. Directly he never censored me, however
indirectly he does. He was very charming and anticipative and always invited
me to his office. At one stage he asked me to change my style of writing and
switched on fashion writing. I found it very hard to comply because it was
not my area. Uncle Nyang was later removed from the Observer. In fact his
role as a political figure of the APRC disqualified him as an editor of any
independent newspaper.
Freedom Newspaper: What make you to quit the Observer?

Alhagie Mbye: The reason why I left the Observer and packed my bags in haste
was simply because I believed strongly that if you are in some one's house,
you must respect what he wants. If you cannot then you have to look for
another place. By then, Baba Galleh has already registered the Independent
Newspaper. I had enormous respect for Baba as an independent minded and
truthful person. I joined his calls for an alternative media house. I never
hide my feelings about Baba's sincerity and until today no one can make me
doubt that.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you enjoy working at the Independent? Independent was
censor free, right?

 Alhagie Mbye: Yes I do. The Independent was good and respected by many. If
not I will never joined them and would rather look for another job. There
was no censorship what so ever. My work has been valued by all the editors
and I still keep evidence of praises in my favour by editors. The staff has
been amazing and it was reliable establishment. I never believed that no
body in his right state of mind would ever contemplate its closure. I must
add that later some of the reporters at the Independent Newspaper were
unhappy especially when Baba Galleh left for the United States. As a result
some moved to the Observer or the Point in desperation while others
disappeared and never returned. It was a sad situation but you cannot blame
them. The arrogant and uncontrolled bullying attitude of Managing Editor
Alhaji Yoro Jallow and the hypocrisy of some executive members of the Gambia
Press Union who were reluctant to intervene had angered many of these young
reporters. I am in possession of a list of complains to that effect. Some of
the freelance reporters were in near destitution while the Managing editor
continued to look after himself.
 Freedom Newspaper: Has Yahya Jammeh changed since you left the Gambia? Or
is he getting worse in terms of media freedom and good governance?

Alhagie Mbye: Off course there is great deal of infrastructural development.
Even a blind person cannot dispute that fact. Development in the Brufut and
other areas are shining examples. In terms of media freedom yes it is true
that more should be done. There is no justification for the closure of
independent media houses and the harassment of opponents of the regime.
Human Rights violation must be investigated and violators prosecuted before
it is too late. President Jammeh's advisers must help him more in that
direction. Remember the National Anthem 'the Gambia our homeland. We must
never be part of any destabilization endeavor and those willing to do so
must be exposed. Everyone must bear in mind that we cannot afford to cope
with any kind of conflict in that country. As I always tell you, we must not
be part of any sensational journalism. We must not also support tribalism.
Jolas are full Gambians as Mandinkas and Wolofs or Fulas. Jolas are
respectable and very hard-working people. No single group is more essential
than the other in the Gambia. We are all partners in the development of our
motherland. If we prop up tribalism we will all live to regret it because
the consequence is damaging. We must treat all Gambians equally. We must not
be control by emotions in our reporting. All articles must be investigated
properly and falsehood dispelled because there is no room for mendacity in
journalism. Those who don't respect journalism rules should look for another
job.

Freedom Newspaper: Has the APRC government ever tried to bribe you to quit
journalism?

Alhagie Mbye: As I said before including examples I cited I cannot take
bribe from any one. It is my instinct and natural feelings that can't accept
it.

Freedom Newspaper: Your critics say you enjoy being arrested? Is that true?
Alhagie Mbye: No I do not enjoy arrest. I think no body in his right sate of
mind will enjoy arrest and torture. Freedom is very sweet. Moreover unlawful
arrest is repugnance especially when it have to do with the NIA who careless
about human rights. If you have a taste of the notorious NIA dungeons then
you will know whether or not it is a thing for someone to enjoy. The NIA was
only exercising its uncontrolled powers over me but I do hope that there
must be a day of trial and judgment on earth or hereafter.

Freedom Newspaper: Has the Jammeh government ever threatened to take you to
court because of your past stories against the system?

Alhagie Mbye: They tried but later backed down. I had no case to answer.
Instead the government should be in the dock for the senseless torture
inflicted against me. I remember when NIA officer OC Tamba, who earlier
refused to allow me medication while in poor health under custody handed
over my court file to a Nigerian –born State Counsel and asked him to deal
with the matter. The counsel called his attention that it was impossible for
him to do it alone but Tamba suddenly walked away and left the State Counsel
bewildered.

Freedom Newspaper: Any last words?

Alhagie Mbye: We should be truthful and sincere no matter what. If not we
are all doomed to fail. Remember the pot cannot call the kettle black.

Freedom Newspaper: Thank you Editor Mbye for granting us this interview.

 Alhagie Mbye: My pleasure.

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 (Archive on Monday, July 30, 2007)
Posted by PNMBAI  Contributed by PNMBAI
Return <http://freedomnewspaper.com/Homepage/tabid/36/Default.aspx>