GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:30:52 -0400
Hello, Modou, I am not saying that quoting the Constitution is
necessarily a bad thing, and I laud PDOIS's efforts to educate people.
 However, the way in which the Constitution is quoted implies that the
rule of law actually means something in The Gambia, and that by
quoting the Constitution, this will somehow make the government of The
Gambia conform to it.  Quoting the Constitution and working within the
framework of the "rule of law", is all well and good, if that
framework exists, which it doesn't, or at least, recent events should
tell us that it's falling apart day by day.

As far as other options/alternatives, unfortunately, I don't have any,
and admittedly Halifa Sallah seems to be in a serious predicament to
me.  And perhaps PDOIS's only option is to work within the framework,
fragile though it may be.  However, the way this article talks, you'd
think that all one had to do was educate the Jammeh government on the
Constitution and they'd all of a sudden do the right thing.  And we
all know that's not going to happen.  However, at least the PDOIS
leadership is coming up with something.  Where are all the other
opposition members?  Heck, where is everyone else?  Even if you don't
support PDOIS, what is going on in The Gambia is very serious.

Ginny