GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:08:21 -0500
Ebou Jallow, I am sure you realized that I have always tried to stay out of
this debate with you about the ‘missing millions’. Part of the reason I did
that was that I thought you were being adequately handled by others. Partly,
was I know enough of this case to hang you in a heartbeat. But contrary to
popular belief on G_L, I am NOT a wicked person. I frankly thought you were
reformed and I was going to give you benefit of the doubt and a second
chance. Let me hasten here to add that I am NOT by any means suggesting that
I at any point condoned stealing from government coffers. All I am saying is
that there was a point I was prepared to give you benefit of the doubt until
we have a proper forum (Gambian courts) to decide your guilt or innocence.
Even when you ‘apologized’ to Yaya it did NOT bother me. I knew there and
then that your calculations were wrong. See, Yaya CANNOT protect you from
Singhateh and Yankuba Touray, just like Yaya could NOT protect Koro Ceesay.
Those are the people you really need to reconcile with. But, you see, you
are NOT being driven by logic. The Devil is controlling your actions.

Now, to the matter at hand. It is either you do NOT understand what
‘stealing’ means in legal parlance or you want to tell a blatant lie again.
Like I told Gassama (and you know very well because you were in court), the
EVIDENCE I gave him is NOT from YOU. We await any cover-story you and Yaya
might wish to concoct. You CANNOT ‘unring’ a bell. In legal parlance,
stealing (theft) is defined as TAKING property belonging to another with
intent to permanently deprive. If the thief gets caught and he returns the
property, that does NOT mean that he is innocent. At best the thief is
looking at a lighter sentence upon conviction. If it was otherwise, then no
one will be convicted of theft. Now, in the face of EVIDENCE from the bank
manager saying that money was transferred from Central Bank coffers to
Yaya’s PERSONAL Swiss Bank account, how can you say that: “no funds have
ever been stolen from the Gambia Government as far as I [Ebou Jallow] know”?
Emphasis mine.

When the time comes, you will have a lot of explaining to do if you now want
to hold brief for Yaya. Now you are not simply denying your culpability. Now
you are also saying that Yaya is innocent. Do you realize that in order to
take that position you will have to explain where Yaya got the money from
before he asked the Central Bank to transfer the money to his PERSONAL bank
account? Do you also realize that if you exculpate Yaya, you are in effect
hanging yourself for the crime of stealing money belonging to Yaya? If I
were you, I would be VERY CAREFUL. I wish you luck in trying to argue that
in less than six months after usurping power Yaya legitimately made millions
of dollars to enable him to open Swiss Bank accounts. We are ready for all
your stories. I am sure Taiwanese government officials will also be glad to
hear about the ‘gifts’. Kiss with Yaya and Gassama all you want, but please
do NOT try to pull a fast one on me.
KB