GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Koch Barma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:42:53 -0800
Gentlemen:

I will try to respond simultaneously to all rejoinders to my earlier
comments...it is too late for me now.

Mr Sidibeh, I can only add Amen to your comments.

Mr. Joof:  I think I asserted earlier that the European influence on
the African continent has been quite corrosive, and I never imply in
anyway an apology for slavery.  It is a historical fact that Africans
were willing accomplice to that institution.  Those in denial from
both sides of the Atlantic choose to accentuate one side of the story
over another for very obvious reasons.
On the issue of African resources...I have heard before of similar
fantastic claims which eventually lapse into spurious dependencia
theories- The center (the West) bilked the periphery (Third World) of
their raw materials at low world market prices only to sell them
again manufactured goods at exorbitant prices etc etc- all but a
morbid propensity to find fault with everyone else but oneself- in
other words signature economic impotence.  The obvious fact is
prosperity or socio-economic development does not rest on the
availability of natural resources alone but essentially on
productivity to a large extent.

King George:  I figure you argued my quoted statement out of context
perhaps since you have not read the previous issue posted on the G-l.
My point is Africa has very limited options in global affairs
regardless of its quantity of resources,...and that change, a
cultural transformation is inevitable inorder to escape from the
pathological socio-economic abyss.  I make this argument in reference
to a sagacious comment that the late Sen. Patrick Moynihan once said:
 "The central conservative truth is that it is culture, not politics,
that determines the success of a society.  The central liberal truth
is that politics can change a culture and save it from itself".
However, considering the post-colonial history of Africa since Krumah
advocated to "seek the political kingdom and everything else shall
follow", all that followed after political independence is nothing
but gloom and doom.  This opens a strong case to revisit the validity
of the late Senator's observation...There is a now a very compelling
case as studied by the Harvard Academy for International and Area
Studies, that culture makes all the difference in socio-economic
development.  Perhaps you may want to read Harvard professor David
Landes' book "The Wealth and Poverty of Nations", one good source
amongst many to start with.......

Regards,

Ebou

PS: Clarissa is doing fine, and gives her regards to everyone.