GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:43:11 -0000
   ABIDJAN, Dec 14 (AFP) - The former ruling Ivory Coast Democratic Party
(PDCI) announced late Thursday it would file appeals later that day with the
country's supreme court to cancel results in some 30 parliamentary contests.
   "We have formed a legal committee of eight lawyers, and we will file
tonight (Thursday) petitions to annul the results in several electoral
districts," party official Atsin Achi told AFP.
   "The proof that we have in our possession shows that fraud was
practically
everywhere during the legislative elections" held Sunday, Achi said.
   Achi, who coordinated the PDCI's electoral campaign, said the party would
contest results in Abidjan's 10 districts, or a total of 25 seats.
   The PDCI won one seat in Abidjan, while President Laurent Gbagbo's
Ivorian
Popular Front (FPI) took 24 seats.
   The PDCI official claimed that vote tallies had been falsified or
switched,
electoral lists were not properly maintained, and that ballot boxes in some
districts were tampered with or destroyed.
   "With all the proof that we have, I don't see how the supreme court could
reject our petition," Achi said.
   In results announced late Wednesday, the FPI took 96 seats to 77 for the
PDCI, while there were 23 others for independents and smaller parties.
   But by-elections have to be held in 29 northern constituencies where
there
was no voting at all last Sunday after supporters of former prime minister
Alassane Ouattara, protesting his exclusion, disrupted proceedings.
   omj/sst/tm