GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maila Touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:42:48 -0400
A while back I posted the following message. Please read along and commit to help.

As we approach July 4th, I would like to remind all, about
the book & stationery drive to benefit Gambian schools. Late last year I sent a posting to the "L" introducing the idea and also asked for volunteers to coordinate the initiative at local levels. The idea is to collect stationery (chalk, pens, pencils etc.), computers and books to benefit schools hroughout Gambia.
Since the kick-off, I am pleased to share with all subscribers that here in Rhode Island, we have collected 10 boxes of books and one box of assorted stationery. Meanwhile in Maryland, on an individual effort, Habib Jallow has
also secured a donation of 300 hospital bed sheets from a local hospital in his area. I will work with both areas to get these to Atlanta by or before July 4th.
On this positive note, my sincere appreciation to Kabba Joof of Rhode Island who headed the book drive and Habib both of whom stepped up to the challenge.
For the students, lecturers/professors and new graduates, please bring along any books you may want to donate, to the July 4th festivities. For the good Samaritans that just want to help, please give whatever you can donate - be generous to the cause. We are in particular need of chalk, pencils, pens, eraser, crayons and notebooks.
If there are any volunteers out there looking to get involved, please contact one of the following:
Ya Soffie Ceesay                    Maryland/DC:
Sainey Fye/Harona Darboe            Atlanta
Siga Jagne                          Kentucky
Saul Mbenga                         New York
Maila Touray                        Rhode Island/Boston
Yankuba Njie

Please contact me for phone numbers of any of the above listed  people. I can be reached by email at [log in to unmask] or call me at 401-486-7314.
Thank you all for your anticipated participation. Please stand up and be counted!

Sincerely,
Maila Touray