GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:38:29 GMT
Mr. Bojang,

I agree w/ you in that real comparative figures from the two periods (Pre &
Post Coup d'etat,) would have provided a more helpful picture. I like to
believe that Ceesay's analysis is merely an overview of Gambian reality as
oppose to what the govt boasts of. The Health and Education sectors
especially have clearly improved since the coup. Empty schools and hospitals
are better than none. At least someday, we can fill them appropriately. The
inflation rates, and even the economy's growth rate are both impressive too.
So, the Yaya Jammeh govt needs to be given credit for these successes if you
want to call them that.

However, what we all need to be cognizant of is that, these "successes"
haven't necessarily translate into a higher living standard for the average
Gambian. The average Gambian is no better off today than he/she was six
years ago. So, some of us really wonder what the hoopla is all about when we
read of Yaya Jammeh and his supporters bragging about how they've
"developed" the Gambia since 1994. Yes, several things have changed for the
better, but much remains to be done even by Developing Countries' standards.
I see Ceesay's paper as an overview exposing Appearance V. Reality. I'm not
speaking for Ceesay. He can do that. This is my opinion from what I've read
from his piece.

But to assess your comments in one sentence: you're right about Ceesay not
doing a real comparatively analysis. I'm not sure you'll like some of the
figures he'll come up with, but that would have helped.

Peace.

Saul.