GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Farage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:14:46 -0400
     Hello Bro Yus,

     I wonder whether it is my brother Yusu or someone who knows me well
     but all the same this demonstrate the might of the pen that is the
     usefulness of education.

     I read your response with particular interest and noted your points
     according to your opinion however all I was trying to do was to
     present my opinions for public scrutunity and thereafter gain
     something from the opinions of others so that in the end the truth
     shall always prevails doubts and falsehood would vanish.

     Due to lack of time as I am just about to transcribe the closing
     arguements of the prosecutor in the case the Prosecutor versus Alfred
     Musema which is about to end however I would buy a small part of this
     time to at least respond to some of your questions or querries.

     On the first issue I said : I sometimes wonder what image are these
     people portraying being countrymen. You asked: BE MORE SPECIFY ON THE
     IMAGE YOU TRYING TO TALK ABOUT?

     Bro Yus, the image portrayed I was trying to talk about concerns the
     abusive language being used by some brothers in the L in response to
     other peoples opinions.These abusive languages if you are a vivid
     reader of G-L would have noticed.Are these abusive languages in the
     NET portraying  a good relationship between brothers fighting for the
     common goal?It would have been in the interest of all Gambians to use
     this net in order to unify distance and lost friends and relatives and
     at least set out ways and means of helping those we know are less
     fortunate or victims of societal injustices.Gambians as we know when
     they are away from home they live like brothers and sisters.This ties
     should continue wherever we are. Why use the most advance means of
     communication castigating one another on the net just because you are
     in a university or enjoying other live whereas your brothers and
     sisters are suffering down home. Why not use this means to help other
     brothers and sisters struggling for greener pastures but could not?
     Why not use this net to encourage The GAmbians in the Diaspora to set
     up a Charitable Organization whereby Gambians who are in position can
     contribute in cash or in kind in other to set up a project for our
     brothers and sisters down home. HE WHO SUFFERS KNOWS THE DEEP OF THE
     PAIN.

     The second issue: I wrote: The sale of the Daily Observer to Amadou
     Samba,a Gambian is indeed a welcome idea but was the vendor taking
     into account the implications behind the sale? and you remarked :I
     THINK IT IS TOO EARLY TO SPECULATE, JUST BECAUSE CHANGES HAPPENING AND
     NOT IN FAVOR OF SOME OF US DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS THE END OF THE GAME.

     Bro Yus, this is a question I put across not a speculation. what
     changes are not in favor of me I am not working with the Daily
     Observer?I hope you are favored by these changes and you felt that I
     am opposed to these changes, Bro not. As you may wish to know I am an
     independent individual who innovates the ways and means of my living
     and not casting my hope on any other individual or body for my
     living,so an individuals changes or system changes does not affect my
     ways and means of living.I am an independent minded person and not
     dependant. MARK THAT POINT AND INQUIRE ABOUT MY LIVING.

     You also remarked that: I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BLAME YOU WANT TO PUT
     ON K BEST, LOOK BROTHERS LETS CALL A SPADE A SPADE. THE MAN IS A
     BUSINESSMAN SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, IF A GOOD REWARD COMES IN ARE YOU
     GOING TO TURN IT DOWN. THE WORD EFFICIENT STAFF IS NOT AN EASY THING
     TO JUSTIFY, YOU AND I MAY THINK THEY ARE EFFICIENT BUT REMEMBER THEY
     ARE WORKING FOR THE OWNERS AND THAT IS THE TRUTH IN REAL LIFE.

     Bro Yus, the blame I want to put on K BEST are the outcomes of the
     sale of the paper which follow the dismissal of some able and
     independent minded-people who stood by the paper in good and in bad
     times.The man is a businessman but he is not selling goods in his shop
     but dealing with human beings, responsible human beings and therefore
     cannot be disposed off as one wishes if one is a humanitarian.This is
     to say K BEST has dissappointed staffs like DA JAWO, BABA GALLEH
     JALLOW and others. These people cannot blame the new management but
     the root cause,that is all I meant to point out.I wonder what good
     reward you are talking about? one should not compromise one's
     principle simply because of selfish ends. The word efficient staff is
     very easy to justify since I was a one time contribute to the Daily
     Observer and knows all the staffs there at the time.To justify the
     efficiency of the staff, may I refer you to the Daily Observer issues
     written by these staffs like Jawo and Jallow. Of course they are
     working for the owners that is why they are subjected to these
     happenings.

     The third issue you riased: WHY AN OPINION POLL IT IS NOT A
     COOPERATION IT IS OWN BY HIM AND HE HAVE THE RIGHT TO GIVE IT AWAY FOR
     FREE TO ANYONE HE WISHESE.

     You may wish to know the press is the fourth organ of a state and
     therefore have the obligation to respect public opinion in any given
     state.I am sure if he had conducted an opinion poll on his intention
     to sell the paper,he would have got responses from the public as well
     as from the staffs as to the best way of going about it.

     Finally, you asked : YES THE STAFF DEDICATED THEIR LIVES BUT REMEMBER
     FOR WHO? YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF THAT QUESTION. IT IS NOT FOR Mr. BSET
     OF FOR THEIR OWN LIVING?

     Bro Yus, this question proved to me that you have never contributed in
     writing to newspapers for only if you had contributed would you have
     known the urged in journalism. These journalist are the watchdogs of
     any nation when all others are sleeping they are there to watch for
     us.They are working for you and me and for the entire world. Of
     course, even yourself you are working for your living just I do.

     Anyway, I thank you very much for your enlightening opinions and the
     way it was presented.I can assured you that I don't write to castigate
     but to clear ny doubts as I am entitled to my opinion as you are but
     they are there for public scrutiny so as to learn at the end of this
     scrutiny.

     Thank you Bro once again and do feel free to criticized my opinions as
     one lerans from mistake.