GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:20:08 -0600
Hello Saul,

Thanks for a very good summary of this shameful meeting.  A leader who has a
sense of direction and who means well for the development of his/her country
will not entertain such a meeting nor be part of it.  The whole affair tells
a lot about the quality of leadership we now have in our home.

I am particularly impressed about your honesty with respect to the tribal
agenda that Yaya has been accused of.  From what I have seen when I was in
The Gambia in June/July of this year, it is some of the Mandinkas in our
country who connive with Yaya to persecute their own people.  In my opinion,
this is done simply for material gains, be it cash or position.  The truth
is that we have some very selfish individuals in the Mandinka community at
home who are myopic in their pursuit of power and wealth.  Yaya should not
be blamed for all of the tribal animosity that is now going on in the
country.  The fact of the matter is that Yaya has some willing
collaborators, who both incite him and who are eveready to betray their
conscience and their fellow decent Gambians, who happen to disagree with
their misguided policies.

Well done.

Bakary J Sonko