GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:42:03 EST
Yus et al
Thank you for shedding some light on this debate.
If we allow these fundamentalist to entice the Jammeh regime
with the use of religion as a basis of governance; A new Gambia
will emerge.

I cannot help but Buzz in after browsing thru the dozen of rhetoric levied
on this forum from these self appointed religious experts i.e. Jaboh et al. I
hail the studies that Drs. Sanneh and Nyang have undertaking on the subject.
But Man, It is rather troublesome to hear that my fellow Gambians are being
programmed to hate the very people that they lived next to for decades. Is
this a sign of religious bigotry? or A new form of intolerance for diversity
in religion.

BTW I am not a deeply religious person but I am not a fanatic. The reason why
we had to pay millions of dollars in taxes to defend The Afghan People from
tyranny is because her people allowed religious dogma to prevail. We are a
secular state and our leaders must not condone the use of religion as a basis
of governance. It is wrong to build a mosque in the state house.

The Gambia is not an Islamic State. The Gambia belongs to her people. It's
scares me to death that we are increasingly becoming threatened by each
other's existentialism. Christians and Muslims have lived happily with each
other without incident for a long time. Lets not become the next Taliban. We
are a community of peace and love, not of hatred and intolerance.

MHO is that we cut the crap of peddling Islam on this forum and focus on a
more pertinent issue. The fact is that Sariah will never become the rule of
law in the Gambia and Religion is ones choice. If I chose to practice
paganism, I should be free to practice my religion as long as it does not
interfere with another's right to be Christian. These volume of rhetoric
about religion should be redirected to people who really have time to reason
with this stuff. I can truthfully say that all is alien to the Continent and
we are seeing daily the Kinds of lives the people in those region live.

I want to conclude by adding that we need to address issues tactfully. Most
of my friends are Moslems and so is my Dad. I am not. this is for the record.
I have never been chastised by my Family because they fully understand the
choices I made as a person. It is the person out in the street that feels
they will not go to heaven unless they torment a non believer to extend of
verbal abuse. Do we really know if there is Judgment Day? Do we really Know
if there is a GOD?  Pope John Paul once said that "Science purifies religion
and Region purifies false absolutes" Let's be careful in making assertions of
the truth without knowing the entire truth.

We are not a nation of Bigots. If Imam Fatty thinks he is a Demigod, he is
only living a fallacy. The days are gone when Christians will layoff their
guards and watch Muslims trample them with might because they form the
majority and because they do they can impose their will onto them. If Imam
Fatty was born a Christian will he be a Muslim? I guess we all know what the
true answer is. Most of us are what we are because of paternity. We are the
minimis of our society and cultures. In that same token, all other religions
have the same paternal rights to exist. Let us not theorize a basic
phenomena. We are what we are because we are born into it. We little of it is
by choice it is by intuition.

Thank you to all who read my whining and if I offend anyone it wasn't
intentional but coincidental.

Matarr Sajaw.