GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 07:41:38 +0000
Well said Beran, I think we should all move on to phase two of the struggle,
because the legitimacy of Jammeh is no longer an issue, the Gambian
electorate have voted for him and we must respect this verdict. What we can
do now is to try and salvage sanity come up with a strategy to dilute the
composition of the house so that the parliament will not be a rubber stamp.
We can only achieve this if all the opposition parties are willing to have a
common strategy that would be a gentlemans agreement. This concept will
allow the opposition to support all those candidates who have potential to
win, to stand unopposed by another oppositin party this way perhaps they can
maximise their chances.

Another issue I may want to see, is the encouragement of Jammeh to form a
presidential commission of good governance, which would be composed of
experinced politicians, civic society NGOS, religious clerics, women
representatives as well as youths, this way his second term may see us
through with less violations of human rights. It sounds a bit naive but we
must explore everything that will ease a five year ride with Jammeh.