GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:46:07 EST
Saiks,
I have actually seen something very similar to the parading of these armed
vigilante groups (eg Sindola).  A good example of this type of threatening
behavior was the case of the armed "Interhamwe" groups in Rwanda.   They also
marched around with crude weapons, such as axes and machetes, and were what I
would consider political vigilante groups.  We all know what happened there
and the same precedent is being set back home by allowing these morons in our
independence day parade.

Saiks, this information is sending shivers down my spine.  Hopefully, the
next elections will usher in a new period in our political history.

BTW, concerning the elections, what process do we have to go through to vote
in absentia? I strongly urge all members of the L and Gambians abroad to cast
their votes so that we can change this alrming trend that is taking place in
our country.

Yus