GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:24:39 +0100
The ceremony took place in Oslo this afternoon,and this year`s award went to Medecins Sans Frontieres, a group of doctors who have committed their lives to the combination of humanitarian and human rights violation work. This group was formed after the Biafra war and has ever since been active in  especially war ravaged areas. The first nobel peace prize was awarded to Henry Dunant in 1901 for his efforts at the battle of Solferino which led to the foundation of the Red Cross. Since then people like Albert Luthuli, Martin Luther king Jr, Mother Theresa, Desmond Tutu, Suu Kyi, Mandela, De klerk, the organization for the eradication of landmines etc had also been honoured.

These are people who were or are still committed to the struggle for the freedom of people in distress in regaining their rights and dignity as human beings, to the establishment of justice for all, to  the improvement of the lives of the downtrodden and in alleviating their suffering, and to the insistance on political responsibility. The whole world is surely grateful to this self sacrificial duty.

It is a pity though that as the ceremony went ahead this afternoon, many people still live in indescribable suffering and the state of fear where oppression continues to be the order of the day, and with dictators ruling high-handedly. Better be warned; you shall all be doomed to dericlition and despair some day. Remember dictators cant serve forever and God doesn`t like you either.

The truth shall always set us free.

Regards,
Omar.