GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:30:14 +0000
Recently i came across a poetry book(SUN WOMAN) by a brother called Kiluanji
Kush. He is the first to introduce the Black literary art style of writing
praise-poems of love called 'ETU'. The subject matter is represented by the
complete features and parts of the human body linked together with the
incorporeal substance of spirit or mind to form one single cohesive whole of
a living being. That was the author speaking! It is so beautiful...
With copyrights and legal tussles i have chosen ONLY five poems to honor the
African generosity! I hope brother Kush will see it as an advert for his
very wonderful piece of work. On the other hand, à la Fidel Castro,
knowledge should be free and shared! Fact is i think it is already out there
in the net. Please buy the book!

In his introduction, Kush wrote:

"...let me clarify to the reader my position in relation to the woman I
dedicate this book. I would like to make it clear that first, my concerted
effort to compile such a work simply sprang from no other intention other
than the natural awareness, devotion and the innocent urge of a heart
captured by the magical wonder of love. And secondly, by the inspiration of
poetry not only as art, but also as my favourite passion."

Too much work and no play...That is my perception of Gambia-L! I think we
need to have some fun and laughter even when faced with the gargantuan task
of bringing our nation on desired paths. For brothers like Dawda Jallow(who
love and write poetry). To the rest, as we bring Jemus and each other down
let us take a break and enjoy the SUN WOMAN series of 5 chosen poems(a
celebration of ourselves) by our brother Mr.. Kiluangi Kush.

SUN WOMAN
(prelude poem)

If love in its multi-dimensional sense
Extends to mean the bliss of life