GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:16:00 EST
Well, l am always shocked when l hear prople give the reasoning that "Western
Democracy " is somewhat to blame for our woes in Africa. While l agree with
Dr Saine and Mr Jawara here that we have to mould our own systems of
government that is more conducive to us as a  complex society, and that
wholely and solely adopting someone else's systems of governing lock stock
and barrel is not the way to go, we can all agree that there are certain
things that are fundamentally a necessary part of any system of government
in order for it to truely serve the best interest of the people, no matter
who they are, and how complex their culture.

These being namely that any nation  has to have a society

1.Where  they can be free to choose their own leaders without fear or
coercion,

2.Expect that those leaders will serve  them well by implementing an
administration that will attend to the needs of the people because that is
what they are charged with.
3. Be free to express themselves without fear of persecution of any sort.

4. Expect a reasonably competent leadership that will demonstrate an
uncompromising measure  of trustworthiness,  and   will utilize the resources
of the society for the benefit of all as opposed to setting it aside for
their personal, family and dedicated followers' use only to the detriment of
the society.

5. Where the people are free to utilize a system that will allow them to
replace any leader who has demonstrated their inability to do the above
mentioned things, and know that their choices are tabulated and presented
without any sort of tampering.

Now, one can perhaps argue that a  system used in another culture may not be
completely suitable  for every society, but the above points are clearly a
fundamental part of any system  of  government where human beings want to
live their lives with a fairly reasonable degree  of freedom. These points
are part and parcel of a system of government called democracy. If the  word
compels some of us to label it a "Western concept" then perhaps we can use
another word, but the  concept is not just something that the West has privy
to.
As Ndey Jobarteh pointed out in her posting, the idea of communal
consultation in matters, and decisions  pertaining to the welfare of the
society at large is not a new or importaed concept in Africa.
What we need to look at then, is not so much the fact that importing a
foreign system of government is the result for our woes in Africa, but that
the people we have found leading us ( and l say"  found leading us" because
in many cases these people came to power by very questionable means  of
either the  gun, or manipulation of the ballot box results, or coercion and
intimidation of the voters) have largely failed to safeguard the basic
principles that l have outlined in these five points above.

So  therefore, while it is  imperative that we mould a system  of government
that is more conducive  to us as a people, we must also realize that the
abuse of power by our leaders is what is more responsible for our woes than
anyhing else, the diversity and complexity of our society notwithstanding.

Mr Jawara, you wrote:

"I think Africa´s situation of social and economic under development has to
be more than to  democracy than a multi party system and periodic elections.
Western style
> democracy could only have full meaning  for ordinary Africans if they
simultaniously led to  the creation of conditions for the improvment of their
livelihood. Looking back wards to  Jawara´s thirty years of democratic, this
hasn´t gained any effects."

These failures  you mention are not the result of the importation of
democracy, but a direct result of our leaders  failing us, and mismanaging
and misdirecting  our very meager resources in the case of The G ambia as
elsewhere in Africa.The  energies of these leaders have not, and continue not
to be utilized to create conditions for the improvement of the livelihood of
the  people.

You also wrote:

"the future for Africa lies in education, empowerment and employment of our
enormous physical and human resources to generate poverty - reducing economic
growth. This can  only be acheived through efficient socio - economic
policies, and not by  the stuggle for power,  intolerance and distrust, which
is bringing Africa to ruin."

Again here, the culprit is not that various political parties fighting for
power is what has prevented us from achieving these goals, but rather that
our leaders' priorities has categorically been to concentrate their energies
on consolidating themselves into place for a lifetime and recruiting and
building a support base by any means necessary, and with the assistance of
none other than our state coffers. Consequently, their focus is not on what
the present and projected problems  and challenges  of their respective
countries are, how to solve them, and how they fit into the greater World
society out  there  which affects our survival as a people, but on self
preservation at the expense of the people.

What we need are conscientious leaders  who understand that their role is
that of competent, trustworthy problem solvers and servants of  the people as
well as guardians of their assets, and that if they cannot  perform these
duties, they should respectfully excuse themselves. Instead,  what we have
are oftentimes tyrannical, incompetent, corrupt,  dishonest  people  who come
up with excuse after excuse of blaming our  troubles on imported systems as
opposed to the  fact that they have  clearly demonstrated that they are not
worthy of the trust and responsibility entrusted to  them.Period.

Jabou Joh

<< salomon jawara wrote:

 > Dear Dr. Saine,
 >
 > According to my observation, there has being an overwhelming criticism of
Yaya Jammeh
> [...]
knowing that there´s
 > no genuine democracy anywhere in this world.  Most of  the criticism based
on the
 > deficiency of democracy i think is dispensable. I want to share with you a
question and
 > would  be obliged in acquiring an answer from you.
 > Is the Western style democracy really suitable for Africa?
 >
 > We need to understand that democracy cannot be packaged and exported like
every other
 > commodity. The rule of law  and civil / human / citizenship rights which
while being
 > meaningful  in the context of the history of Europe, are essentially
meaningless when applied
 > in rural Africa where the mojority of people live.
 >
 > I think Africa´s situation of social and economic under development has to
be more than to
 > democracy than a multi party system and periodic elections.  Western style
 > democracy could only have full meaning  for ordinary Africans if they
simultaniously led to
 > the creation of conditions for the improvment of their livelihood. Looking
back wards to
 > Jawara´s thirty years of democratic, this hasn´t gained any effects.
 >
 > A disproposionate amount of resources and lives have been wasted for
decades in the
 > fight for Western style democracy in Africa.  The struggle and rule by
democracy like wise
 > authoritarian have both produced resurgence in the ethnic and religious
identities.
 > Almost all African social scientistss´  notion of democracy are heavily
influenced by those
 > developed out of the African historical and cultural perspective, but in
the West.

 > In creating an African democracy, it should be a product of local entities
based on their
 > history. Our civil society in Africa is more complex than we thought,
comprising of
 > groups calling for a  western style democracy, antidemocratic forces, and
different ethnic
 > groups. But with the help of our social scientists, an effective African
democracy can be
 > moulded without the risk for misinterpretation, which can sometimes course
devastating
 > consequences.
 >
 > The future for Africa lies in education, empowerment and employment of our
enormous
 > physical and human resources to generate poverty - reducing economic
growth. This can
 > only be acheived through efficient socio - economic policies, and not by
the stuggle for power,
 > intolerance and distrust, which is bringing Africa to ruin.
 >
 > The Jammeh regime undoubtedly has some defects, but there is no truely
genuine democracy
 > on the face of this earth yet. I think  Africa has alot to learn from
Asia, and our social scientists
 > including interlectuals  still has alot to do. The course of African
importation of western ideas,
 > ways of doing things and cultures ( European civilising mision to Africa),
has so much impact
 > opon us, that we tend to loosen up in creating and establishing our own.
And this exportation
 > is continuing through different refinements, to this day.
 > Let us Africans exercise awareness, love and tolerance for each other.
This includes every one,