GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:57:33 EST
In a message dated 1/14/02 10:40:11 AM Central Standard Time,
Dear Musa,

Thank you for the question, and infact, my only knowledge about Mawdudi is
this work which i find to be a very good explanation of what Islam is.
I have no information or idea about his political aspirations, and infact, i
was not even sure that he was still alive.
My only reference to Mawdudi is to use his radio talk given in 1948 which is
such a good explanation of what Islam is about that the center for call and
guidance in Riyahd sponsored the publication of this revised edition. I doubt
that they did it because they are trying to spread Islamic radicalism, but
rather to spread the true meaning of the deed and perhaps in so doing, help
the effort to continue the dawah of the Prophet.
For me as well , that is the extent of my references to Mawdudi.
I am not advocating anything for anyone or any country. I am just trying to
tell people both here on the list as well as anyone else who is interested to
find out what this religion is all about because it is obvious from what is
said by many, that they do not know a lot about Islam, or the Sunnah of the
Prophet, and of course, there is much speculation about what Shariah is.
Well, my only intention is to make this a venue to find out as much as i can
relay about Islam so at least people will know what they are talking about
when they set out to criticise or admire the religion.

You say i am interested in politics, but i will tell you something here today
that may surprise you and others. I have never in my life been interested in
politics. I have never paid attention to it, and the reason i have spoken out
since the advent of the Jammeh regine  is because of my hatred for injustice
of any sort directed at anyone, anywhere. For this reason, i have spoken out
about the government of Yaya Jammeh and consequently, also about Gambian
politics in general. I have no political aspirations nor have i ever had any.

infact, I know deep down that i am not political material because i am
inclined to just stand up and tell everybody the truth and what i think, and
i can see that in politics, people have to  try to please everybody at the
same time and thus, it is my ardent believe  that politicians are often not
forthcoming with the truth because they are trying to buy influence and win
votes.

Again, i hope that this lesson I am trying to relay on Islam will not be
waylaid by unfounded suggestions that i am trying to advocate any
Islamization of anything. Please just read my series to learn about what
Islam is all about, and if i quote anyone, it does not mean that i am
advocating any radicalism they are engaged in or pushing. I reference
material based on whether i think it gives a good explanation or lends
support in  relaying what the deen is all about.So i hate to dissappoint you
but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here

As for the brand of Islam that Mawdudi is advocating as you put it, i am
afraid i do not subscribe to the notion of "brands of Islam" There is only
one brand of Islam according to the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet, and
that is, what is written in the Qur'an and what the Prophet told us and how
he lived his life. That is how this deen is kept pure.

When i read what Mawdudi has written about the definition of Islam, i find
that in my limited knowledge, it agrees with what the Qur'an and the Sunnah
says, and that is what I am interested in, and that is the aspect of his work
that interests me and which i use as a reference to help me relay the essence
of my series.

After Mawdudi's book, which is just one of my references, i will move into
other areas, using other references, but please know that i am not selling
anyone's brand of anything. I am hoping to just relay what Islam is based on
the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet, and hoping that Allah in his
infinite mercy will help me in this effort.
I think if you pay attention to what has been written so far,  and what will
be relayed when we  get into the Shariah and what it is, you will find that
once again the continuing in  the mesage of IIslam is that we defer  to a
higher power, and not any earthly political power, and that while having an
Islamic state is ideal for believers, if this is not possible, then so long
as the individual sets out to conduct their lives and their affiars within
the parameters set forth by the Qur'an and the sunnah, this is enough.
I hope that paranoia and unfounded fear and misconceptions about my
intentions here do not take away from my efforts to teach anyone who is open
to it what this deen is about. While it seems that a lot of people are quite
pre-occuopied with politics and agendas, and see the same in everything that
one endeavours to do unfortunately,  i have none  but the desire to relay the
basics in a religion that icontinues to be maligned by even those who profess
to be its' practitioners.may Allah free us from the earthly pursuits that
tend tio hinder our abilities to learn about his goft to mankind. Ameen.

Jabou Joh