GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:59:53 EDT
Mr. Kondeh, thanks for your comments. Everyone is free to express their
ideas here so long as they are prepared to back themselves up. So, you are
free to say your piece. I must say though, that I also vehemently disagree
with your reasoning and some of your conclusions. It would be at the height
of naivete to think that the army is not being used to perpetuate the
illegal APRC government. To try and distinguish the AFPRC and the APRC
borders on dishonesty. Do you honestly think that if Yaya did not have the
backing of his army, he will order the massacre of our children? Do you
honestly think that if Yaya knew that Baboucarr Jatta was neutral, he (Yaya)
would instigate the thugs in the July 22nd Movement to attack political
opponents and burn down properties of private citizens? My friend, Primary
School pupils know that Yaya is in bed with Jatta, the younger Singhateh and
numerous other army officials. So, what do you gain by trying to distance
the army from Yaya? I am all for working with decent soldiers to get rid of
Yaya. But the Jattas and the Singhatehs of this world do not fall in that
category of decent soldiers. The newspaper I forwarded stated that Singhateh
and Jatta were the most recent Gambian graduates from Sandhurst. If you know
anything at all about the Gambian army, you will not need me to tell you
about the sadistic nature of these vermin. So how did Sandhurst help us
here?
Your point about BATT and NATAG is also neither here nor there. Do you think
British soldiers will put their lives on the line to stop Gambian soldiers
from staging a mutiny? You must know something that I don't know. The
Americans were right there when Yaya and his band of bandits marched into
Banjul. Apart from evacuating Jawara and his family, they did not lift a
finger in order to foil the coup. This is not an attempt to criticize the
Americans, British or the Nigerians for Yaya's illegal actions. Am just
trying to set the record straight and convince you that British resumption
of military cooperation with the Gambia is not in the interest of ordinary
Gambians. I do not know this Mendy chap and therefore did not say for
certain that he is going to be an alcoholic murderer. If you read my earlier
piece properly, you will realize that I was saying that based on the caliber
of the people that recently came from Sandhurst, I would not be surprised if
Mendy turned out to evince the same characteristics shown by Singhateh and
Jatta. If the soldiers want to do us a favor, they should get rid of Yaya
and restore democracy and the rule of law in the country. I read enough
between the lines of this 'gift'. Suffice for me to say here that this
'gift' is not about Gambia and ordinary Gambians. This resumption of
military relations is about Yaya, Britain, ordinary British soldiers and
Sierra Leone. That is all I will say for now about that.
No one is trying to drag the army into politics. On the contrary, we work
day in day out to ensure that the army return to the barracks where they
belong. It is the army that brought itself into the Gambian political scene.
And next time before you send postings to the List, try and do some decent
research. It was not 'a well trained and a discipline Armed Force that
managed to avoid crisis happening during the 22 July take over.' This
so-called coup on July 22, 1994 was a fluke that was made possible by
Jawara's cowardly flight to Senegal. What the 'well-trained' soldiers did,
was wait till November 1994 and cooked up a bogus coup and used that as a
pretext to murder their fellow soldiers. Where were these 'well-trained'
soldiers on April 10 and 11, 2000? The justifications the army used in 1994
to take over power now pales in comparison with the current state of affairs
in The Gambia. Yaya is far more corrupt than Jawara. Nepotism is far more
rife in Gambian society nowadays. The extra-judicial killings under Yaya and
the breakdown of law and order is lot more serious compared to what obtained
pre-1994. Next time you want to brag about the superior training of the
soldiers, try and tell us about positive stuff that people like Singhateh,
Yaya and Jatta are doing and have done militarily. Try and reconcile their
actions with the brutality visited on ordinary Gambians on a daily basis.
Let us know why we should differentiate between Mendy on one hand and
Singhateh and Jatta on the other. If Mendy is a decent person, he is welcome
to join the struggle and help get rid of Yaya. Otherwise, he will be part of
the problem and would be gotten rid of when we get rid of Yaya. Lastly, I
just want to point out that joining the army in Gambia does not
automatically translate to being patriotic. If we go by history, the
opposite is more likely. If certain members of the army were really
patriotic, they will get rid of Yaya, return the country to democracy and go
back to barracks where they belong. Again, I encourage you to back up your
points.

KB