GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:49:35 EDT
Dampha:

I agree with your point that the 'un-muzzled' former opposition leaders
should also be part and parcel of the process towards a united opposition.
This might be controversial but I believe that the APRC has managed to
bamboozle enough Gambians through cheap infrastructural gimmicks to give them
a sizable portion of the vote once the elections come around in a few months.
 I believe that the APRC received about 56% of the total ballots during the
last presidential election.  I would be extremely surprised to see them get
more than 45% of the vote this time around.  However, a disunited opposition
will still lose if the APRC manages to get anything around this percentage.

The fact that a united opposition should be the priority of all anti-APRC
politicians is a no-brainer and I am glad that you ceased this crucial
opportunity to reiterate this.  In fact, I dare say that given the short
amount of time between now and the general elections, the exiled politicians
need not even ponder their options for unity is the only way forward for us,

On the actual removal of the decree, as you stressed in your piece, it was a
calculated move by Jammeh.  He figured that it would look good in the eyes of
the foreign community.  But also the timing of the unbarring was planned to
minimize the negative impact such an action would have on the APRC's chances
of winning the next election.  The consequences could might have been
disastrous had the these politicians been un-muzzled earlier.  Furthermore,
the point someone emphasized last nite about Jammeh's Mansa attitude must
also be taken into effect.  He giveth and taketh away like the Lord Mansa he
purportedly is...

Anyway, I hope the opposition leader realize that due to time constraints the
opposition must unite.  The time is now...