GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:08:34 -0400
Barrow, you are right to point out to Gassama that he should quit dealing in
rumors and speculation and talk about facts. The FACT of the matter is that
Assan Musa Camara (formerly of GPP) confirmed that he spoke to Jawara
(formerly of PPP) about the repercussions of this Decree 89 debacle. OJ
stood on the same platform in London with UDP and GPP bigwigs and among
other things, spoke about Yaya’s horrendous human rights record and the
unconstitutionality of Decree 89. You are spot on when you say that there is
more that glue the Opposition together than Decree 89. Matter of FACT the
current Opposition was NOT vigorously fighting with the ex-politicians to
get rid of Decree 89. So, I do NOT know where Gassama came from with this
ridiculous notion that once Decree 89 is removed from the books (as it
should have since 1997) the Opposition (current politicians and Decree 89
politicians) will no longer have a common cause to rally around. In the
first place, these politicians NEVER rallied around this ‘common cause’ to
begin with.

OJ will always be Yaya’s enemy whether there is Decree 89 or not. Darboe
will always be Yaya’s enemy whether there is Decree 89 or not. What
motivated these politicians is NOT the undemocratic ban represented by
Decree 89. As you rightly pointed out, Gambians hate the vermin because he
is a thief and a child murderer, among other things. Decree 89 was just one
extra reason to hate him. Barrow, I am glad that you also read the writing
on the wall. Yaya is finished. Only people suffering from acute myopia will
have difficulties seeing the light. Gambian newspapers are replete with
reports showing how desperate Yaya and his cohorts are. When they call for
rallies in Banjul, Gambians do NOT attend. Yankuba Touray was forced to go
to Bakau and explain to the youths why soldiers were used by this regime to
drive people away from the beaches and put their livelihoods in jeopardy
while at the same time they failed to offer the youths any credible
alternatives. The vibrant Bakau economy that used to thrive from the tourism
in the country, is now a thing of the past. Hotels are closing willy-nilly.
Discredited and corrupt functionaries like Kaba Bajo shamelessly stand
before people and declare allegiance to a moron like Yaya. These people have
nothing going for them except lies on GRTS that some nonentities are
‘defecting’ to APRC. When they knew that they could NOT deliver on their
promise to electrify 98% of the country, now I understand the moron has
reneged on his word and said that he promised electrification of 98% of the
Greater Banjul area. When they are caught with their pants down, they change
the goalpost. Do these people appear to you as people that suffer from
shame? Even the new threshold (electrification of 98% of the Greater Banjul
area) did NOT happen. Yet the vermin shamelessly went to celebrate the
infamous July 22. If the vermin meant well, they would have electrified the
whole country since 1995. In that year alone, Yaya alone stole from the
country more than US $30 million (more than enough to buy generators to
electrify the whole country). The vermin have NOT delivered anything they
should be proud of.

Now that they know that Gambians are NOT going to vote for them, they want
to split the Opposition. That way, it will be easier to rig the elections.
It is vital that the Opposition come together NOW and fight this government
all the way to October. All signs are that the leaders on the ground will
come together when push comes to shove. Recently when the leaders walked out
on Gabriel Roberts, that was yet another example of the leaders coming
together to say enough is enough to these vermin. The leaders should go
further and announce a single candidate for the presidency and have powerful
rallies where ALL the parties (PPP, NCP, PDOIS, GPP, UDP and NRP) will stand
on one platform and address the electorate. We owe it to the Gambian
citizens to work together and get rid of this menace in our society.
KB