GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:02:15 -0500
Jaiteh, I do not think that there is any need for people to be engaged in
this patronizing banter. We know what we are doing. Why did you think I
never volunteer to write petitions to important officials we want to fight
on our side? For people to now suggest that we are hurting the Opposition
back home by calling Yaya a moron, is grossly unfair. You are not just
patronizing to us, but you also underestimate the wherewithal of the
organizations and the individuals you want us to impress by writing in a
certain way. Do you honestly think that the EU will rethink their policies
towards Gambia because I or some other member of the Opposition 'abused'
Yaya? If it was as simple as that the EU will not be in Gambia now because
Yaya has abused all our parents on national TV. Let us stop this nonsense
and move on.

If your only purpose for censoring what people are saying, was to impress
some dignitaries about the List, then you should have raised the red flag a
long time ago when people like Essa Sey will come to this forum with their
incoherent mumbo jumbo. Or, is it acceptable for Yaya and his cohorts to
come here with all sorts of garbage and it will be tolerated? This is the
fundamental point we are talking about.

G_L List management will be riding a slippery slope if it starts telling
people what is appropriate or not or if we start pandering to certain
audiences. When we want to write to the EU directly, we are SMART enough to
know how to couch our language. I think some of you are making too much out
of this thing. The dictionary meaning of some of the words we use, aptly
describe Yaya and his cohorts. So, I do not know what your problem is. I
hope you are not trying to feel sorry for the very people that kidnapped
your brother and are unlawfully incarcerating him for all this time.

I do not know about some of you, but I have no political motivations behind
what I write here. That is why I said that I care less about political
correctness. I call it as I see it. I do not pretend to speak for any
political party back home. So, I do not see how my rhetoric can be used
against the Opposition back home. Again, I am not trying to knock anyone,
but I have seen politicians in this forum speak very incoherent language and
I do not hear you telling them that they are embarrassing or hampering the
Opposition. So what is up with these double standards? If you do not want to
read my 'abusive' language, please delete the messages I send to the List. I
will not leave the List on my own volition nor would I desist from calling
Yaya the English words that I think aptly describe him. Hamjatta, Conteh and
others, I also beg you not to back down. Let them kick us out of the List if
they want.

And Jaiteh, wait until I volunteer to send a petition to some dignitary, on
your behalf, and then tell me to be SMART about the language I use. The
words we use here is child's play when compared to the words that come from
Yaya's mouth or the mouths of some of our leaders back home. Your enemies
should never make you lose your friends.
KB