GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:15:50 +0100
Ida

This is a big loss to your party for the following reasons

Firstly, remember that when Kemenseng contested for this seat in January 1997, we only won with a majority of less than 400 votes. (Kemeseng Jammeh of the UDP polled 3,224 votes, representing 50.92 per cent while Baba Jobe polled 2981, representing 47.10 per cent and PDOIS’s Lamin Manneh polled 127, representing 2.01 per cent of the votes cast.). Judging from what happen yesterday, it seems Jarra West is no longer a marginal seat for the Opposition, but a STRONGHOLD

Secondly, what happen to Jammeh’s Dialogue with the People. The APRC big wigs tried to bribe the people of Jarra to forget about Baba Jobe and focus on APRC, but they refused. Several rallies were conducted at Jarra before Jammeh’s visit but this did not pay dividends. In fact please browse through the Daily Observer and read what the APRC campaign strategy was all about. This was definitely a disaster.

Thirdly, Ida, your party must spent a lot of resources in trying to retain this seat. In fact, George Aziz’s swearing ceremony as NAM, had to be sacrificed, since a good number of NAMs decided to stay away from attending parliamentary meetings. How do you think these NAMs might feel today???? How do you think Jammeh will rate his NAMs particularly the likes of Phoday Lang Sarr, Mahawa Cham, Churchill Falai Baldeh, Fabakary Tombong Jatta??, These NAMs are now likely to be deselected for inefficiency come 2006.

Fourthly, Jammeh must be worried that if such voting pattern is repeated in any election, the Coalition will capture the Presidency.

Finally, the Coalition’s campaign was not about Kemenseng’s personality so don’t tell me that he won due to his popularity. People of Jarra West are sending a message to President Jammeh and the APRC, that enough is enough and their time is up.

I would advise you to take note that the Coalition has just started. The Struggle Continues!

Yahya Jammeh Gippo!!!

Sanusi Owens

Kebba Foon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Seedy,

Thanks for the update. I just talked to Halifa Sallah the coalition co-ordinator, he asked me to thank STGDP and all those who contributed to the fund raising for the by-election. This is a lesson to show how important STGDP initiative is towards a better Gambia. I will take this opportunity to call upon all Gambians and friends of The Gambia to join us in this effort to raise funds to aid the coalition to unseat the Jammeh regime come 2006. More communication will be fort coming from STGDP.

Thanks

Kebba Foon

I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for,
he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr.,