GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 06:47:33 -0500
Dear Mr. Secretary of Public Works:

The recent industrial accident at Alhagie
Sankung Sillah's Soap Factory should be
thoroughly investigated by your ministry.
The proprietor of this entity should follow
government imposed standards for a safe work
environment.  If violations were made, the
proprietor should be held accountable.  The
government should not let this tragedy as
another God sent.

Though I believe in free enterprise, proprietors'
of businesses should follow guidelines set by
a responsible government.  No proprietor should
be allowed to operate in an unsafe work
environment at the detriment of his or her
workers.

The deaths of six Gambians in an industrial
accident should not be revisited by another
tragedy.  I hope the government can learn
from this and impose quality standards.

May the souls of these works lay in perfect
peace.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh