GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 11:05:07 -0400
Folks,
GESO would be honored to coordinate this noble effort. Already Mr. Momodou
Camara of GESO Denmark and a member of the GESO Executive committee had
contacted MR. Katchically Touray about how much this youngman would need to
continue his education.

For our new members to list, years ago some members of Gambia-l decided to
form Gambia Education Support Organization, GESO. GESO's goal is to provide
intellectual, material, logistics and other support to individuals and
institutions in need at all levels of education in the Gambia. We have
braches in UK, Norway, Denmark, Gambia and North America(US & Canada).
Interested members can join any of these Chapters or form new Chapters in
their country of residence. Membership dues are:
$10 per month for adult working members in N. America, Europe, Australia and
Japan
$5 per month for students and unemployed members for members in those areas
$1$ per month for those in the Gambia, Africa and the rest of the developing
world

GESO's programs include i) Individual development ii)Institutions in
education  and iii)Information services.

As part of the Program for Individual development, GESO has established
scholarship fund. Since its creation in 1999, 14 kids have directly
benefited. Program for Institutions include computer and library support.
Information services include developing a database of Gambians in the
Diaspora; development of online education and information resources.

While much had been achieved since we registered our first member in 1998,
we still have a lot to do. First on the list is increase our membership. We
need more paying members to help maintain the services, since the
scholarships are from membership fees. We also need skilled people who can
volunteer their time to help implement our programs and activities. We need
talented fundraisers, web-designers, experienced organizers and many more.
With the many skills and talents around the world and the power of the
Internet we can really erect mountains to that very flat country of ours!

If you have the burning desire to make a difference in the life a needy
child, in your former alma mata,  or in a country that really needs a
helping hand then this is your chance. It also a chance to gain valuable
experience while doing the things that really matter. For more information
you can visit our official website at  http://www.gesor.org (under
construction) or reply to this mail privately or publicly. Members of our
Executive Committee will be happy to help you get started.

Malanding Jaiteh