GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:34:12 +0000
There   are  mixed  reports    circulating   about  the   circumstances
that  led   to   the  unceremonious   arrest  and   subsequent   sacking
of    police   chief   Landing   13   Badjie.      While   dictator  Jammeh
  and   his   cronies   want  us    to   buy   the   "cooked"    story
that   13   was  wanting    in   his  job   as   IGP,    another   report
hinted      that    the   regime   was   unhappy   with    Badjie's
recent    interest   in   pursuing     the   killers   of   journalist
Deyda    Hydara    and   the  independent   newspaper   arsonists.       It
  is    reported    that   the   State   Guards   are    not    happy
with    13's     move    to     probe    two    of    its    personnel
linked   to    the   Independent   Newspaper   arson  attack.        There
is     a    serious     division     between   the   army   top   brass
and     the   police.      Another  theory   linked  to   Bajie's
removal    was   the    confiscation   of   unnumbered  vehicles   used   by
    personnel   of   Jammeh's   close  protection   unit   and    the  NIA.
       Well,    Gambians   can  judge  for   themselves,   as   to  which
of    these  stories   they  will  buy.

One    thing  that  i    know  government   is  about   collective
responsibility.      If     there   is   failure  in   the  system   of
governance,     it    is  unfair   for     an    individual   to   be
pin    point   and     be   blamed    for   such    short  comings.      But
    this   is   typical  under  dictator  Jammeh's   rule.     He     always
    sacrifice    people,   when      there     are   problems  or  short
comings   within   his  administration.       From     "monster"   Yahya
Jammeh   down   to    the  last    man    in   his    government   should
bear   full   responsibility   for   the  growing    insecurity   in    our
  country.     If   13   Badjie   is   guilty   of    "wanting   of   duty",
    then     all   other  security   heads  in  that  country   including
Yahya  Jammeh,   the  so called  "Commander  in  Chief"    of   the
security  forces   are   equally  guilty.

Where  was  Yahya  and  his  cronies  when  journalist  Deyda   Hydara
was  ambushed  and  shot  to   death?     Where  was  Yahya  when  the
Independent  Newspaper   was  fire  bombed  twice?     Where  was  Yahya
when   about  14   students  and  journalist  Omar  Barrow  where  killed
by   his   security  forces?     Where  was   Yahya    when   the    life
of   human   rights  lawyer  Ousman   Sillah   was     attempted?      Where
  was   Yahya   when   former   finance  minister  Ousman  Koro   Ceesay
was  killed?     The   fact   of   the  matter  is   that    Jammeh  had
woefully   failed  as  a     leader.      Jammeh  is    good   at
sacrificing   people.       He    had  messed    up    our   country   and
  he      wants  to   drown   with  anybody   that   comes    by  his  way.
     That's   the  reality.        Gambians   should  not   be  surprised
if     more   arrest  are   made  in   days    to   come.         The
system   had    collapsed.

It    was   during  13's     watch   that     Baba   Jobe   was    tried
and   imprisoned.        It    was  during   13's    watch   that    Tarik
Musa   was       arrested    and    deported.      It   was   during  13
Badjie's   watch  that   information   minister  Yankuba    Touray   was
arrested.      It   was   during   13's   watch  that   Jammeh's   so called
  operation   no  compromised   was   enforced.      It     was   under
13's   watch  that   prominent   businessman   Amadou    Samba   was
invited   for  questioning    by  the   police     in  relation  to  the
Harris  and  Sonny's     supermarkets    expired   food   stuffs    scandal.
      Samba    a    close   friend   to    the   president   was  said   to
  have   intimidated  magistrate  Moses  Richard   who  was   investigating
the  supermarket  food  story.      I    do    konw   that   the  NIA,   the
  Police  the   Immigration,     the    Customs   and   Excise
Department    and   the   Medical   Health  Department   were  involved   in
  the  investigations   of    the    super  market  expired  food    case.
      A     leaked   memo   i  intercepted    from   the   State   House
in  Banjul,   ordered   for   the   immediate   closure  of   the  two
supermarkets  and   the  arrest  of   Amadou   Samba,   who   was   alleged
  to   have  intimidated  magistrate  Richards.      I     remember
interviewing   Mr.Samba  as   a   journalist     while  in  The  Gambia
on   the   said   subject.     He    denied   being   arrested,   but
invited   for   questioning.     It    was   Amadou's   contention   that,
  magistrate  Richards   has   no  rights   whatsoever,     to   confront
the  supermarket  owners.      But   Richards  on   the  other  hand
argued  that,  he   had  the  constitutional  rights  to   conduct
preliminary  investigations   on    cases    affecting  public   interest.
    Richards   claimed  that  Amadou   must  have  business  interest  in
the  two  supermarkets,   a  charge    Amadou  vehemently  denied.

I    remember    the  proprietor   of   the  supermarket  SK   Watwoni
telephoning  the  late  Deyda   Hydara   from  his   home   county  India,
pleading  that  the  Point   should   dropped  the  supper  market  expired
  food   story.      SK   was  on   holidays  in  India  at  the  time.  He
   pleaded   with  Deyda   for   the  story   to  be   dropped,   on    the
   grounds   that   it  might   have  adverse  effect   on  his  business.
    As   the  investigating    reporter  assigned   to  the  case,   Deyda
invited  me   in  his  office   and   informed  me  about  SK's   call.
"Well  SK  is   worried  about   the   future  of   his  business.    He
opined   that   the   if    the  story  is   run  it   may    scare  his
customers.    He   telephoned   me   from  India,   begging   that  the
story  should   be  dropped.     I   told  him  that  you  were  on  the
ground  investigating    and   there  is  no  way  that  we  can  dropped
such  an  important  story.    It   deals  with  public  health  and
safety.      We   must   go  ahead  with  the  story."   Deyda   told  me.

I    went   ahead  to  piece  up  the  story  together  for   public
consumption.       Weeks    and   months    passed  without    the
proprietor     of    the  supermarket  being  drag  to  court.    In fact,
the  high  court  master  dismissed  an  order  issued  by   the  state
house  for  the  closure  for  the  super  markets.     The   master
argued  that  the  closure   was  illegal   and   ordered   for   the
reopening  of   the  two   stores.        Under  normal   circumstances,
the  state  house   cannot  enforce  the   duties  and  responsibilities
of   our  courts.     But   since  there  is  no  rule  of  law  in  The
Gambia,     Jammeh   can  behave  any  how  he  likes.

Now   we  are      hearing  that    major  Ousman   Sonko   of  The  Gambia
  National   army  is   heading    the  police   Force.       Where  did  he
  studied  basic  police  duties?     Or  is  that   he   is   brought
there  as  a    "caretaker"   IGP?      Soldiers   are  trained  to   kill.
    Is   he   brought   there  to    reinforce   Jammeh's   "six  feet
deep"   threats    since   the  elections    are   fast    getting   closer?
      Or    is   that   Jammeh    lack   faith  in  the   current    police
set  up?     Is    dictator  Jammeh  telling  us   that  there  are  no
competent   men  and   women  within    the  police  force  to  succeed
IGP   13   Badjie?     The    Gambia  is  still  under  transition.
Jammeh  is    a  soldier  in  disguise.     He   want   to  dine   with  the
  military  and  the  civilians  at  the  same  time.      This  is  the
height   of     hypocrisy.      One    thing  i   know,    his  days   are
numbered.     He   is   creating  more  enemies  than   friends.

The  hiring   of   Army  commander  Sonko  as   IGP,    goes  to  confirm
my   recent  statement  that  Jammeh    is     a    dictator.      I   hope
  Gheran    is   reading    developments  at  home.     Where   on   earth,
   do   you   see   soldiers  heading     the  police?     Wrong   people
for  the  wrong  job.       Gambians    should  not   be   surprised,
since   our  country  had   fallen  into   the  hands   of   inexperienced
"military"   politicians.        Jammeh     has  no  plans   to  step  down
  now  from   power.    And   he  will   do   everything  it  takes  to
stay  in   power.       The     appointment   of     Army  officer  Sonko
should   not   be  treated  lightly  by   Gambians.      Jammeh   is  up
to  something    different    from   maintaining   law   and  order  in  The
  Gambia.     Time   will   tell.          Perhaps   13   Badjie,     failed
  to  meet  his   "evil   needs"   and   he  had   no   option   but
discard  him  as    he  did   to     Baba  Jobe,   Lang   Conteh,
Yankuba  Touray,    Balise   Jagne,   Abdoulie  Kujabi     and  others.

Being    an   experienced   and   seasoned   intelligence    officer,    13
   Badjie     should   able   to      write   his   memories  about    this
regime.       He    had   witnessed   first   hand,    the   atrocities
committed   under   Jammeh's    rule.        He    was    the   police
crime  coordinator    when   Gambian   students   and  journalist   Omar
Barrow   were  killed   by  the   security.      The    question  many
Gambians   are  asking   these  days  are  will  13  be  braved   enough  to
   set   the  records    straight?       Allegations    levelled   against
him    are   serious.     And    as   a     matter    of    fact,    he
should    do    justice   to  himself    to    clear   the  air.    We   do
   know   that   Jammeh  is    good   at  lying   against   people   he
had   fallen   out   with.      It's   up   to     the  individuals   he
lied   against   to   set   the    records  straight.       As    usual,
just    my   mind    speaking.............................