GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:32:57 +0000
Wassa, thanks for your observations and I hope the STGDP and NADD consider
them.  I also agree with your conclusion that STGDP should be an umbrella
organization for all Gambian organizations in the diaspora.  However, my
observation with nearly all Gambian community organizations is that they
claim to "not being political", because of the composition of their
membership, even though 75% or more of their memberships, politically, align
with NADD.  Whether you are talking about the GAC in Chicago, AGERA in
Atlanta, GO in DC, GAD in Detroit, GCO in New York, GAM of Minnesota, etc.,
all will not affiliate with a political movement.  You also have the
extensions of the opposition parties in the diaspora, who understandably,
would not want to be under the shade of STGDP.  Also, you have the MRDGUK,
but they can speak for themselves regarding your suggestion.  So, if most
Gambian orgs. are non-political, then the next best thing is to reach out to
their individual members to join STGDP, 75% or more of whom sympathize with
the opposition parties.  This is the long route to increasing our numbers,
compared to the orgs. becoming an affiliate, but nonetheless, we can achieve
any membership target that we set, with our current strategy.  In the end,
whether STGDP is composed of 50 orgs. for example, or have 100,000 members,
we would reach our target and be a force to be noticed by any government or
organization.

This umbrella org. idea was also attempted by some folks in DC about a
decade ago.  The effort collapsed before it was even sold to the wider
community, precisely because most of these community based orgs. do not wish
to affiliate with any other, politically or otherwise, especially with their
dollars and cents.  Sad, but true.  Gambians, like many other peoples,
naturally have suspicions of each other when it comes to money.  STGDP had
its share of criticisms and skepticism regarding Gambians and their money
and we continue to earn the trust of Gambians by showing them how their
monies are being used and for them to be their own auditors of their
financial contributions.  We still have a long way to go, but we are
confident that we will get there as we continue to lead by example.

Like you, I believe that having an umbrella organization will give us more
leverage and voice that can help the Gambian cause, especially our current
state.  However, unless our people are willing to participate in such a
structure, I do not see how we can accomplish that.  Thus, the STGDP in the
best use of its time and resources, decided to focus on reaching out to
individuals within these orgs. to participate in the creation of a
democratic state in the Gambia.  A slow process, but the next best thing
short term.  STGDP is here to stay beyond 2006 and hopefully, our people
will realize the benefits that you envision of having an umbrella
organization.  Thanks for adding value to the exchange.

Chi Jaama

Joe

>From: "Wassa Fatti" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]