GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 06:23:25 -0400
Comrades:

After talking to a cousin, I am convinced that after 7 years
of self denial, Yahya Jammeh has realized that he is indeed the
worst thing that has ever happened to The Gambia.  Word around
The Gambia is that people are beginning to see stronger
family ties. Our ability to work together as one tribe and one
Gambia will flush out yahya jammeh and the APRC.

Our responsibility as citizens of The Gambia is to continue
attacking this illegal government.  Yahya Jammeh's failed
and illegal government must go.  We must embrace the ideology
of understanding that tribal politics has no place in The Gambia.
Kaninlai cannot and should not be the administrative headquarters
of The Gambia without appropriation and legislative endorsement
by the House of Representatives.  Yahya Jammeh has indeed evoked
the basic principle of democracy and must realize that Gambians
are no fools to fall prey to his tricks.  The opposition will
unite because it has more at stake than the failed "luntang"
who moved to Kaninlai from Cassamance.  Please let us give time
to the unbanned politicans.  They have every right to be part of
this bride-building initiative.

There are mainly who claimed to embrace the idea that The Gambia
belongs to everyone.  I have no problem with this sentiment, but
those who know where they came from with their parents cannot
intimidate and torture Gambians because they think that they have
the absolute right to deny Gambians the right to political
democracy.

The Gambian under Sir Dawda was a tolerant nation,
whose aliens easily assimilated into The Gambian culture.  Our
elders provided land, shelter and food for most of the immigrants
from Cassamance.  I bear witness to this because I know some who
claimed to be Gambians.  I say to them, was it not just a few
years ago that we settled your family a few distance from Saidy
Kunda?

As we  welcome immigrants in our culture, we must have in place
laws that will protect Gambians.  During Senghore's days in
Senegal, he made it a priority in protecting his citizens.
Immigration laws were passed and immigrants were not given free
rides in Senegal at the expense of the Senegalese.

I hope the third republic will have immigration laws in place
to protect Gambians.  We must not let assylum seekers like yahya
jammeh and his family easily integrate into The Gambian society
without proper documentation.  Though I embrace Panafricanism, I
am of the opinion that Gambian citizens' rights to socio-economic
and political opportunities must be protected.

As we embrace each other as one tribe and one Gambia, we must protect
our country.  Never again in the history of The Gambia must we
allow a person like yahya jammeh set the history of our country
back.

Long live democracy and down with the APRC government.  Yahya
Jammeh, please we ask of you, give us our country back.  I hope
the APRC ship sinks.  There will not be any salvation to protect
a failed and an illegal government.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency