GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:39:55 +0000
Folks:

I am going to take the liberty of sending communication between STGDP and the coalition leaders, to give perspective to the analysis. After sharing these letters and appeals between us and the parties, I will attempt to tell truth and nothing but the truty why NADD failed to stay together.

Please read on:

Dear Mr. Darboe:

After eleven years of the Jammeh presidency, Gambians are absolutely certain that change is needed, and we want it now. Two years after Gambia found itself under tutelage of tyranny, we turned to you. Out of the political ashes a new party/hope was born called the United Democratic Party (UDP).  A whole nation came to you, not because of your political credentials, or that you have demonstrated any ambition of power. In you the country saw a man who is committed to justice, respected as a father, and in the final analysis will only be driven by what is in the interest of The Gambia. STGDP has gotten to know you over the years. We have never had any illusion to the journey all of you have taken, and the challenges and the sacrifices to be encountered. At this critical juncture of the journey, STGDP found it very important to communicate and to dismiss any miscommunication, and to make the push to make sure that all of our efforts will not go in vain. We refuse to allow our adversari
es, especially the dictator himself to water down our accomplishment into sound bites: these leaders are engaged in power struggle driven by selfish ambitions.

Sir, back in the 2003, we reached out to all of you knowing fully well that it only through a coalition of parties that we can bring an end to tyranny. STGDP can unequivocally say that we have never made any deal, demonstrated in any way and agenda or objective to propel anyone to lead this collation. If there was one thing that STGDP was concerns with from the get go was that the selection of the leader may pose some threat to sustain the partnership. We have had series of telephone conferences with the entire leadership, and we can say without a doubt that we have urged all of you to take care of the leadership affair so that we will not find our selves in the present situation. STGDP, like NADD  is tied with the same umbilical cord, our members are supporters of different political parties, and we came together knowing fully well that it is only by working together honestly and fairly will we be able to bring together a coalition of parties that will defeat Jammeh come 2006. The
refore, it would be counter productive for us to engage in deal making, or having an agenda for a specific leader or political party... In some cases perceived members of STGDP will make statements that we are uncomfortable with, and we go the extra mile in a form of a press release to correct the perceived problem. STGDP will be setting ourselves to fail, if we in anyway are perceived fairly or unfairly engaged in taking sides in this national effort. We are only interested in supporting a NADD that is comprised of NRP, UDP, PPP, PDOIS, NDAM, and not a fragmented NADD. Finally, we will never engage in pointing fingers, or engage in a blame game that will only undercut the sincererity and relationships that we have build over the years.

We are appealing to you to open the lines of communication and to ponder all the possibilities before walking away from the dream that all of us have worked so hard to put together. Sir, the party you have led over the years came into being for a sole purpose, and one of the fundamental reasons is to bring back the very democratic credentials we have had in the past, and to build a new era and hope for all Gambians. Your leadership is not an accident of history, but what you have demonstrated in our country. We are confronted with tough decisions and a whole nation is at stake, whatever decision you make will have a huge impact to a whole nation and to generation to come. Please, do not rush to any decisions and let us sought for all possibly and breaking away is not an option. STGDP would like to work with you and the entire coalition partners to find a common ground that will ameliorate the problems. For the sake of our fathers and heritage, let us all make the tough decisions th
at will give us a chance to bring an end to the Jammeh tyranny. If we fail to do that, History will judge us harshly, and no blame game or shifting of responsibility will suffice. The headlines will stay with us for the rest of our lives: the coalition partners went on their separate ways because of their inability to select a leader. We are looking forward to your immediate response, and together we will find away out.

Your sincerely

STGDP

From: Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>