GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alfusainey bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:15:19 PDT
AIDS is a bona fide "National Disaster" threatening long term prospects for
development in at least 10 African Countries, according to a declaration
signed sunday by African leaders attending the 11th International Conference
on AIDS and STDs[Sexually transmitted diseases] in Lusaka, Zambia.
The HIV/AIDS epidemic is "depleting the most educated,energetic and
productive population, thus draining human capital development," according
to a statement co-authored by heads of state and government representatives
of 10 Sub-Saharan countries, including Zambia, Zimbabwe and Tanzania.
An Emergency response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic is required and therefore
African leaders have pledged to provide political leadership and to make
HIV/AIDS a priority in all development probrams  at all levels.
The impact that AIDS is already having on Sub-Saharan Africa is catastrophic
and the scenario will only worsen unless Global leaders work together to
invest more in prevention efforts and programs to address the multitude of
social and economic problems that AIDS has brought.
It really scares me that the AIDS epidemic has reached a stage where it
would be declared a "National Disaster" in parts of Africa. I wonder how
much longer it is going to take our leaders to act, by focusing a greater
attention on the emergency nature of the epidemic in many African countries.
God Bless and Peace Be Upon All
Alasana Bah