GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Omar E. Njie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:07:06 CDT
Amadou,

You made a good point about religious diversity and religious tolerance.
The Gambia is NOT an Islamic State and all Gambians MUST respect other
peoples' rights to observe other religions.

I am for one very sadden by the treatment of Ahmadiyyans in The Gambia.  I,
like many other people, went to Nusrat High School, studied Basis Arabic &
Islamic Religious Knowledge (was compulsary in Forms 1 & 2) but that never
made me an Ahmadiyyan.  As a matter of fact, I used to attend Ahmadiyyan
meetings (at Pa Haq's house...for those of u who attended Nusrat) mainly
though to get free coca-cola.  The Ahmadiyya's came to The Gambia and built
high schools and a hospital (a great hospital I may add!) when our own
government of the time was not interested in investing in education.  Some
of you might disagree but Nusrat today is considered the BEST school in The
Gambia.

The Ahmadiyyans respect other peoples' rights to worship what they want.
One was not required to be an Ahmadiyyan as a condition for admission to
Nusrat.  I remember how my uncles were REQUIRED to convert to Christianity
as a condition for admissions to Catholic Schools (St. Michael's Primary -
Njongon, to be specific) prior to the 60s.  The Ahmadiyyas never did that!!!

All Gambians and The Gambian Government ought to take advantage of/support
all avenues of national development.  The Ahmadiyyas have contributed
immensely in Gambian education and the health sector.  Instead of kicking
them around and deciding what they are and what they are not, we should
THANK them and show them our appreciation for what they've done for The
Gambia. They should go back to The Gambia and carry on their fine work!!!

Again, I'm NOT an Ahmadiyyan but I do appreciate their fine work in The
Gambia.  I'm very proud of being an Alumni of Nusrat High School, an
Ahmadiyyan institution!!!

Omar.