GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prince Obrien-Coker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:55:20 +0100
Mr Dear Mr. Daddy Nying,

I must first of all say that I used to know one Daddy Nying whom we used to sing
a song for that goes:
"Daddy le we pick am, en was am,we eat am......". If you happen to be that Daddy
Nying, then consider
this piece as not sent. If not, will you please bear with me for the points you
have made. First and
foremost, The Gambia-L is not a forum of anti-Gambian Progress. The true
anti-Gambians I met do
not even want to talk about Gambia. They usually go about telling people that
they are Ebrima Ceesay's
20th message did not, in any way, dispute the points you mentioned, that was not
even the gist of his
discourse.
Remember, Ebrima's source is a Civil Servant like you. He toured the country and
came with the
experience of his encountered with the peolple. Judging from your narration, he
must have passed
many of the PROJECTS your mentioned, but he was out to tell about the suffering
he saw when
he met the people. It is the very custom of people of your caliber to highlight
the lofty Project that
the Gambia Government is engaged in forget the plight of the people in the
gutter. In your piece you
did not mention anything about the ordinary man. All you talk about are some
lofty project, which
have nothing to do with the the average Gambian.
Shall we please examine some of the points you ennumerated:

1. GOVERNANCE:
I do not see how a two-hour talk programme over Radio One FM has anything to do
with good governance, for there are Authoritarian regimes in the world where a
minute of talking against the government is not tolerated and yet they have what
could be called good governance. The use of the Sunday afternoon Radio One FM
programme is now  being made an evidence of the goverment's good
intentions towards the media. When few months ago this very radio station was a
target of a dastardly arson attack, which many people placed at the doorstep of
Yaya Jammeh and his hooligans. The mention of Jawara in this segment goes also
to allege that most of us who oppose the Jammeh's demonic regime are all
pro-Jawara.
Why do intelligent people like you always bring up Jawara when we discuss the
shortcomings of the Jammeh regime? As far as I am personally concerned, Sir
Dawda Kairaba
Jawara is a "past participle" in Gambian affairs. We can never take away the
fact that he led us
to Independence and became the first President. The first 5 years of Jawara's
rule,
were the best period since the Gambia became Independent. Also bear in mind that
90% of
Jawara's last cabinet were not originally members of the PPP. If then, in your
opinion Jawara was bad,
then I will tell you that Yahya Jammeh is "BADDER".
By the way, GOOD GOVERNANCE is not a situation, it is the manner in which a
Government functions.

2. EDUCATION
You said: "A couple of weeks back over 150 people graduated with bachelors
degrees from the university of The Gambia." Are we to commend the government for
it or the hard working parents who sacrificed everything to give their children
a good education and the student themselves for working hard to attain their
degrees.
You also said: "Last year the government built 237 schools throughout the
country under IDA sponsoreship, through the medium of Gamworks agency." Was it
not few weeks ago that we read in the national newspapers that teachers were
going for months without being paid? I am neither a mathematician nor an
Economist, but simple arithmetic I do know. 237 schools at 6 classes a school
calls for 6 times 237 teachers and if the present teachers are struggling for
their November/December 2000 salary. From where in God's name are we going to
pay these new teachers? Thanks for the notification of the tender of  "Lot 1: 20
servers, 480 desktop computers, 20 hubs, 20 server UPS, 160 PC
UPS, 40 Printers and various software and accessories. Lot 2 20 split unit
airconditioners." This may be good news to some unscrupulous dealers who
do not care about the realities in the country, but in real sense what do all
these
apparatuses mean without the stable function of NAWEC? I am yet to learn of a
UPS that can hold electricity for more that 45 minutes. A UPS is merely a
contingency apparatus. If ever computer is to be provided with UPS, that says a
lot the regular Electricity Supplier. With effective Nawec, no Institution in
the Gambia needs 20 UPS's for 20 Servers. You did not mention aught about the
functionality of NAWEC.

3. HEALTH.
You wrote "The number of private clinics capable of x-Rays surgery etc number
over 10. A  National blood transfussion and maintenance policy and updating
healt policy, medicines act and health act is to be formualted this year." Are
we to go on our
knees and thank Yahya Jammeh for the achievement of the private medical sector.
In fact it is a darned shame that the private medical sector is more prosperous
than the
government in a country like. If things are going so good medically in the
Gambia,
why didn't Zainab Jammeh delivered her baby in the Gambia? But the poor Gambian
taxpayer had to "foot the bill" for her travel and delivery in some five-star
clinic in the States.
If you can boost of the private clinics in the country, why did Jammeh allow her
to travel to
the States to deliver her child instead of one these clinics you are talking
about.
There is always a "medicines and health act" in the Gambia, popularly known as
"Bordofelt" which worked perfectly. Why should one be formulated 37 years
after Independence?

4. THE FIGHT AGAINST POVERTY.
In this section you talked about "You will recall that last year government
distributed 36 tractors throughout the country allowing farmers to hire
them at next to nothing". What I, and many, honestly recall was that the
tractors were a personally gift from Yahya Jammeh.
Finally, you gave us a lot of figure involved in the building of trunk roads in
the country. That is fine, as far as I am concerned, but remember that last
July, Yahya Jammeh told the nation that by this July 98% of the country will be
electrified.
I am waiting to see his word come true.
Daddy, in your balance sheet of Jammeh's achievements, you failed to address
issues that are worrying people, namely:
1.) Why was Pap Cheyassin  Secka appointed 20 days before the student massacre
      and fired 10 days after nullifying the reports? Not that I feel for him.
2.) Why were innocent children gunned-down for expressing their grievances?
3.) Who gave the orders to shoot at the children? Somebody must have.
4.) Why was Radio One FM attacked by wayward arsonists
4.) The death of Koro Ceesay is still in our minds. Can you please supply some
     answers to the circumstances surrounding his death?
5.) Why do farmers not receive their payment on time?
6.) In the absence of  "SONYAROCRACY", what made Yahya Jammeh one
     of the richest men in the region?
7.) What is Dumo Saho and the rest of the innocent people doing in jail?
8.) Why is the NIA picking on anybody who disagrees with Yahya's policies?

If only you could give me some answers to the above questions.

Prince
"If you want to read or hear good things about Yaya, go read the Observer or
listen to GRTS".
KB Dampha