GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:19:05 -0500
Billy's journey: Europe at last
In the second part of his account Mamadou Saliou "Billy" Diallo recounts
how he smuggled himself into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta and finally made
it to Italy.

Our guide in Tangier advised us to buy lots of black clothes and said that
at midnight a taxi would pick the three of us up, along with seven others
to take us to the forest near the border with Ceuta.

The conditions there are terrible - there's no water, so you can't even
wash yourself after you go the toilet. Diseases spread really quickly.
Every night, people try to climb over the twin barbed wire fence which
separates Morocco from Ceuta. Many of them are caught.

After two weeks, a Moroccan man showed us a tunnel which had been dug
underneath the fence.

We tried to get through, but when we were just 200m from the tunnel, we
heard the sound of heavy boots running towards us - we had been sold out.

The police started beating us with their rifle butts - one knocked my front
tooth out and I fell down unconscious.

That was when I reached the point of no return - I was determined to reach
Europe or die trying. After everything I had gone through, I didn't care
any more.

Disappointment in Italy

A week passed before our next chance came. The guide who had been with us
since Casablanca took us to the coast and showed us an inflatable raft.

We all got in and lay on the floor, while he rowed, staying close to the
shore, where the shade of trees would stop us being picked out by the
searchlights.

I was the only one there who knew how to swim.

We arrived on Spanish territory two hours later. Luckily, we avoided the
police and made it to the Calamocarro Red Cross camp in Ceuta.

I was a refugee from Rwanda and asked for political asylum. If I had said I
was from Guinea or Senegal, they would have sent me back home.

That night I slept on a clean and comfortable mattress for the first time
in four months - it was now March 2000.

After three weeks, I was given a residence permit and put on a boat to the
Spanish mainland.

I couldn't believe that after everything I had gone through to reach
Europe, this was what the life of an immigrant was like

It was only when I landed at Armilla that I really felt I had reached my
goal - especially when I saw the policemen wearing Spanish uniforms.
It was an amazing feeling. I was completely overcome but was still too weak
to dance.

I worked in the fields in Armilla for a month to earn enough to buy a train
ticket to Italy, where I was planning to join one of my cousins.

Although I had my residence permit, I never had complete faith in it. When
the inspectors asked me for my ticket on the train, I thought they were the
police and was terrified of being sent back home.

I didn't speak Spanish and nervously pulled out my wallet to show them my
residence permit but they laughed and pulled out my ticket instead, which
they stamped.

I was devastated when I got to my final destination, Brescia, six months
after I had left Dakar. The phone number my cousin had given was no longer
in use.

Finally legal

At the station, I met two Senegalese men who took me to a hostel. There
were 15 immigrants living in a single room and there was no room for me.

In the end, I found some space on the floor of the cellar, even if it was
filthy.

I was desperate to see my wife Idiatou again - she had been through so
much, bringing up our three children on her own

I couldn't believe that after everything I had gone through to reach
Europe, this was what the life of an immigrant was like.
I spent a year living on that filthy floor and selling African trinkets,
lighters and bracelets.

Then, a friend who had managed to do well as a businessman, gave me his
work permit. We looked quite similar and I was able to get a job in a
factory making agricultural tools.

Last year, the Italian government announced that they would give residence
and work permits to illegal immigrants who had a job.

I got my papers in May 2003 and immediately thought of my family back home.

Now that I was legal, I was free to go and see them for the first time in
four years.

No regrets

I was desperate to see Idiatou again - she had been through so much,
bringing up our three children on her own.

I went through hell to reach Italy and would never have left if I had known
what the journey really entailed

Our youngest daughter Aissatou was just one when I left and she thought
that one of my cousins who was living with them was her dad, not me.
I was able to go back home last December and it was truly amazing to see my
family again.

Life is tough in Brescia - I'm still sharing a single room with 11 others -
but it's better than what I went through on my journey.

Although I don't earn that much, I am able to send enough money home every
month to look after my wife, children, mum, dad and other relatives who are
living at home.

I have also bought a plot of land, where I hope to build my own house when
I earn enough money.

My children are going to a good private school, so they already have a
better start in life than I had.

I went through hell to reach Italy and would never have left if I had known
what the journey really entailed.

But I don't regret it now because I can look after my family far better
than when I was working as a nurse in Dakar.

If I had to do it again, I would have waited until I had enough money to
buy a plane ticket to Europe and got a visa somehow.

After getting my papers, my first object was to see my family again. Now
that I have done that, I hope to get a job as a nurse and earn enough to
bring my wife over to join me.

Do you want to comment on Billy's story? Send us your views using the form
at the bottom of the page.

Your comments:

I salute Billy to have such courage to seek a better life for himself and
family
Eula Nervais, Orange
Billy's story is one of hope and survival and more importantly bravery. His
story made me laugh it made me cry and it left me something to think about,
the plight of immigrants seeking a better life in a country completely
foreign to them. I salute Billy to have such courage to seek a better life
for himself and family. Viva Billy!
Eula Nervais, Orange, New Jersey

What an inspirational story of a man who had all the courage in the world
to risk his life just to get a better job so that he could provide a better
life for his family. Compare that to people in the West who sit at home and
demand benefits... It's sad! Good luck to you Billy, you deserve every bit
of success you get.
David Hilton, Hudds, UK

What, really, is the 'better life?' One where you don't see or interact
with your family for years at a time? One where you share living space with
15 strangers? One where you make a mediocre living not fully utilizing your
skills/training? Is your life the sum total of what you can send back home?
Does the 'better life' exclude you, the individual? These are questions
would be émigrés must ask themselves. Personally, if I didn't have the
correct credentials/papers, I would never have travelled to the US. Now I'm
here, I've see that life is more than mere dollars and cents. I'm going
back! EB, Nigeria/US

Africans, let us wake up and let our African leaders know this
Victoria Kihumo, Arusha
This is sad, amazing and heart-breaking. While reading this tale, I was
almost in tears. Our African leaders should be able to understand what the
young generation is going through. They should create new jobs for young
people like Billy. Jobs that have incentives. Yes, life is a struggle but
our African leaders need to know that. How come our white brothers and
sisters and their leaders understand what is happening to us and give
asylum, jobs, training etc in their respective countries. Why can't our
African leaders do the same to improve our life standards? Africans, let us
wake up and let our African leaders know this.
Victoria Kihumo, Arusha, Tanzania

As I child of immigrants from the West Indies to England in the early
sixties I am amazed at your journey as my parents' was easy . Billy you are
a hero to your children and your amazing will and determination will be
seen in your children's success. Let's hope they won't also have to leave
their country to achieve their worth. God Bless you and yours and good
luck!
Colleen Morris, New York City USA

This story amazes me. Not least because of the courage that Billy has shown
to build a better life for himself and his family, but because he spent 17
years working as a nurse in a major hospital. These are skills that you
should be able to take anywhere in the world. Why was Billy not able to
take these skills to the west. With the NHS here in England crying out for
nurses and medical staff, Billy and thousands like him should be able to
apply for work permits to come and work in the hospitals of Britain. Good
luck Billy....you deserve it.
Mark T.B, London, England

Billy's episode is emotionally touching and made me wonder about how
serious the world is about human rights
Michael Kalainkay, Wageningen, Netherlands
Billy's episode is emotionally touching and made me wonder about how
serious the world is about human rights. The reason is that Africa is rich
by virtue of its resources but why the mass exodus? The answer is that the
developed world is collaborating in looting Africa. This is why they
conceal the secrets of foreign bank accounts of African leaders.
Michael Kalainkay, Wageningen, Netherlands
I have been blessed to travel many countries in the comfort of an airplane,
from Africa to Europe and America; I've heard of people crossing borders
but it never crossed my mind of the hardship these people are going through
until now. In my eyes Bill is a warrior and a Hero. Here is a story I'll
narrate to my 2 boys when they get the age to understand. Bill, may Allah
bless you and your family with wealth, health, and peace. This is a story
we should forward to the African so called leaders.
Emile Wilson Kuissu, Boston USA

It is true that life itself is a risk, but for Billy to go through such
hazards and dangers, it is not worth it. Thank God that he made it to Italy
at last, but can he advise any children to go through such an experience?
Let us learn to trust in God with whom nothing shall be impossible.
Igboba Philip E., ibadan, Nigeria.

It is a pity that most African leaders make life impossible for their
citizens through greed and selfishness, making it impossible for people to
live a decent life. Hence they are forced to travel to Europe under
horrifying circumstances and when they reach there life is not easy either.
Well, I have a message to the African leaders - You should learn that
leadership is a service to others and hence you must strive to develop
Africa so that we don't lose many people who are trying to forge decent
lives in Europe. We Africans can do it on our own since we have the
capacity to do so. Another message is for the Governments and people of
Europe. Although there are many immigrants coming to Europe they are still
human beings with human needs. If there is a way to help them at least get
the basic needs, food and water, shelter, clothing and perhaps easier
possibilities to work it would be a wonderful way of extending kindness to
these illegal immigrants.
Stella Onyinkwa, Eldoret, Kenya

The problem of people fleeing to find a better life is the driving force
behind much of our history
D. Jordan, Vienna, Austria
Thank you for a very well told account of one man's life as he seeks
opportunity for a better life. The problem of people fleeing to find a
better life is as old as man and is the driving force behind much of our
history. Currently, there are about 34 million people worldwide fleeing
from their homes toward their dream of a better life. Most of them are
fleeing the lack of opportunity in their own countries. That said, a huge
number of these folks never find the better life they seek. As your story
told, many die in the effort. Many more get to their destination only to
find that the dream is just that, a dream. The story of the migrant is no
less tragic than it is an old, old story.
D. Jordan, Vienna, Austria
I have never read anything like this; it's horrific. I am speechless. As I
read through this, it brought tears to my eyes and really broke my heart. I
think this is a story that needs to be broadcast in every television
station across Africa and let the leaders see what they are causing to our
young people. This story needs to be shared in every school across Africa;
let everyone know the truth so that the would-be Billy's must make a
decision if it is worth risking their lives. Thank God for the happy ending
and I hope Billy realises all of his dreams.
Emmanuel Bilikha, Houston, Texas. USA

Billy had nine lives to have gone through all that without being killed. I
think we should embark on teachings that would discourage such surely
dangerous trips. I don't think it's called for; we should sit down and
build our region. All that glitters is not gold.
Fola Oyalade, Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Billy's story is an interpretation of human inspiration
Sal Crivello, London
Billy's story is an interpretation of human inspiration. With belief,
determination, and willingness this man shares the story of the power of
one (person) and the effect it can and will have on those he touches. Not
just his own family but those of us fortunate enough to read his story from
the comfort of our homes. As for me, I bless Billy and his entire family
and may this be the beginning of great things to come for his children and
his children's children. Thank you for sharing your story Billy.
Sal Crivello, London, UK

Billy is amazing; his journey to the West is one of inspiration. His story
puts in prospective what counts and how blessed some people are just
because of the country they are born in. I salute Billy for his efforts and
hope that he is able to bring his family to Italy.
Ricardo Salazar, Lima, Peru

It takes men and women of zeal, great determination and selfless sacrifices
to make it to Italy, Spain, Ireland, Portugal etc. What are they doing
today? Why can't we do the same for and in our own countries?
Nzefili C Osugo, Lagos, Nigeria

This is a sad, sad story that reflects badly on Africa as a whole. Men and
women are daily led to take these kinds of desperate and risky moves in
search of a better life. Whilst our greedy leaders fight tooth and nail to
stay in power whilst causing us misery to no end!
KT Mandisodza, Harare, Zimbabwe

I have always found it absurd when people still migrate at Billy's age and
under such dangerous circumstances and risk to life. The situation in
Africa is really desperate and calls for redress. This story really held me
spellbound like a thriller... what are the odds of survival? I tell you,
its not worth the gamble. We have to salvage our countries!
Aza Emmanuel, Abuja, Nigeria.

Something is seriously wrong in a world that breeds so much desperation in
a man. Peace, liberty, humanity are achievable goals that citizens wrongly
leave in the responsibility of politicians.
Drigh, Riyadh, KSA

I understand Billy's motives. But as someone who often comes across dead
bodies in my region, I wish that immigrants like Billy - who clearly have a
lot of faith and energy - would stay in their homeland and use their will
and strength to build a society where they and their family can live with
dignity. A lot of good and strong people's lives are wasted, people that
Africa needs if the continent wants to progress. (Just a naive thought.)
Michael Bach, Cadiz ,Spain

Billy's nightmarish adventure has at last shed light at the end of the
tunnel. In the depth of observation, one can see that African countries
were conditioned by their colonialists to be what they are at present.
Billy's problems were a bi-product of the suffering that is experienced all
over Africa. It is high time now that Europeans look back to their ex
colonies and help them to recover.
Said Al-Mugheiry, Muscat, Oman

What a sad story! And what a shame that a hard-working man like this cannot
earn enough as a nurse in his own country. If we lived in a fairer world it
wouldn't be necessary for a man like Billy to leave his family and travel
so far from his home to make a decent living for them all.
Nicky McAllister, Bristol, UK

This had more suspense than any book I have ever read. I almost jumped to
the conclusion, but with patience read through all of Billy's journey with
him. The mental pictures were unbearable, but it is through struggles that
one can truly claim success. I am happy that he has found better life and I
hope that wherever he is, millions of miles away, he will continue to
strive for excellence and continue to provide for and care for his family
even though he is very far from them. Billy, great men achieved their
success while their companion slept. So keep on being strong and
victorious.
Gavin Bennett, Montego Bay, Jamaica

If it were not for the greed of our leaders in Africa, Billy would not have
taken such a risk to get to Europe. Many have died in the process of doing
the same thing but we thank God for Billy's life. To our leaders in Africa:
please save us this stress.
Aiku Adegboyega, Port Harcourt, Nigeria

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/africa/3520410.stm