GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:48:29 -0400
Folks
May be I am missing something. What's all the big deal about what
Jawara, Sheriff Dibba or Assan Musa Camara and their buddies ought to do
now that Decree 89 is lifted? I think the Gambia or the opposition must
be in serious trouble to think that a bunch of retired, 1960s and 70s
politicians can help them unseat a 21 century dictator! I would say let
these folks go and retire in their villages!  They have served us long
enough and we should thank them for that and not bother them anymore.

They may be guilty of the making of Yahya but the task of removing him
is clearly not theirs. The opposition should not be looking back but
forward for solutions. The person to unseat Yahya cannot be found among
the old PPP, GPP, NCP retirees but among Yahya's own cohorts. These are
the people who beat Yahya at School, in the Army and in life. They know
exactly what is behind those Bilahi, Walahi....!

The irony is that with only 66 days to October only Yahya seems to have
a master plan to winning the election. On the other hand some in the
opposition do not seem to know what they want to do. One day they are up
another day they are down. Some day they do not recognize the IEC
another day they praise them as "Free and Fair". Or should I say "free
but not fair"? Also there are some in the opposition who believe that
the best way forward is their way and nothing but theirs. The reality is
until every member of the opposition recognize that that they are only
bricks in the wall they have no chance. I believe that they can beat
Yahya without a unified Presidential candidate. All they need is
understand what makes up Yahya's support base and each can work on those
individually or collectively. In short a well choreographed campaign to
ensure that their individual strengths are maximized. But to read that
some will only be part of an alliance if their leader becomes the
presidential candidate shows how each believes in their individual
strengths.

As for Decree 89, I believe that a capable opposition should have
foreseen its removal only weeks before the election. And as such they
should have worked out the what ifs long before Yahya declared it. That
way all the pieces will fall in place and not apart as planned.

Malanding