GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:38:18 EST
 Some people will vehemently disagree with your claims that Nkrumah was the
first african dictator and I happen to be one of them.   How could someone
that envisioned  a United States of Africa be a dictator?  Nkrumah knew full
well that if his plan came to fruition then Ghana would just be a small part
of a big equation.  These thoughts are not consistent with those of a
dictator.

Nevertheless, no man is perfect, and sometimes the maturity of a leader comes
with time.  Therefore, I would not be too hasty in condemning him for a few
blemishes in an exemplary  tenure as president of Ghana.  In fact, if one
looks at the big picture and judges him on the categories that I outlined
previously, he stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

I believe that if there is an award for the ECOWAS president of the century,
then it is the moral obligation for those voting to choose the best leader
even if this means picking the best of the worst.