GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 21:13:26 EST
In a message dated 12/21/2002 7:31:02 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Can we associate the inadequate budgetary control and accountability in
> Gambia with lack of a strong and functional legislative branch of
> government? We all know that just a few actors dominate the budgetary
> process in Gambia. Thus, budget transparency or openness is virtually
> non-existent. The result is that of closed budget procedures where public
> expenditure management is confined to a small group of public officials
> who make unchecked budgetary decisions.
>
> -BambaLaye

Indeed  the Budgetary process/economic plan of the Jammeh government is to
raid the coffers and engage in irresponsible spending  on anything they
fancy, mainly on the "King" and his creature comforts, or on some superficial
gesture of using the people's money to  "give" them a present for political
leverage, and then scramble to come up with last minute crisis control
economic plans or non-plans to be exact; that are not based on any sound
economic structure.

In other words, the old wollof proverb of using one dead wolf to bury
another, and where the last dead woff is always still exposed.
It is a  real juggling act they engage in each time they look up and see
impending economic doom, but jugglig acts do not and will not solve the
economic crisis that Gambia has been plunged into.

To solve this crisis will take not only knowledge of the  principles of
economics, but also dedication,  accountability, transparency and good
character which are essential characteristics of any group that is the
caretaker of a nation.
Checks and balances in any government are essential, but time and experience
have   proven that this government avoids scrutiny at all cost and the
reasons are obvious.

Jabou Joh